Do you believe a gender-neutral pronoun should be introduced to the English language?

• Good Lord, Would it be helpful!

There are plenty of circumstances in which the gender of a person (etc. ) isn't known -- even outside the context of someone's preferred identity. We've used "one/one's" for that purpose, But I certainly get that it might sound a little impersonal if you're referring to a specific person rather than an abstract individual, Given how it's been used in the past.

I'm not a big fan of overloading the pronoun "they", However, Because I find it very confusing and imprecise; it requires more contextualization than I think should be necessary.

Other proposals -- zie, Xe, Hir, Etc. , All seem attempts to form pronouns that sound like the pronouns they replace, Mutated enough to make them "safe". That, Too, Smells wrong and somehow almost apologetic to me (not to mention likely to cause confusion by proximity).

We've been adding, Removing, And changing pronouns throughout the history of the English language (go spend some time in Lancaster, PA, For a crash course). Let's come up with some gender-neutral words that are short, Distinct, And easy to both say and spell.

• It is time for change

A fair number of people believe that there are more than two genders. Plus, How do you talk about a gender neutral person? I know they/them, But I always find that these pronouns get in the way. I think it is time to make the change, For everyone. It is needed.

• Gender neutral pronouns are needed for multiple reasons

Introducing gender neutral pronouns are great because they allow an individual to speak about or to another person without making incorrect assumptions about their gender. Since there are multiple unofficial pronouns, there should be one official one to avoid confusion. During speeches, most people welcome the audience with 'ladies and gentlemen', which only includes those two genders but everyone that is not referred to as male or female will not feel included. Referring to someone as 'he' when they preferred to be called 'she' is considered disrespectful so implementing an official gender neutral pronoun will include the minority and give those individuals the respect they deserve.

Posted by: kth
  • We already have terms we can use.

A gender-neutral pronoun should not be introduced to the English language. There is no need to make words up for people because a person is born with or identifies as a certain sex during their lifetimes. We could also easily just use the terms "this person" or "that person" to signify who we are talking about.

• No, gender-neutral pronouns won't catch on.

There already exist several options for implying a gender-neutral subject in a sentence. Specifically, the word "one" is often used to imply gender-neutrality. For example, "One cannot be too careful." This sentence does not imply whether the subject is a man or woman. It is confusing to try and add a new pronoun to the lexicon when there are existing solutions already in place.

• Too politically correct.

No, I do not believe that a gender-neutral pronoun should be introduced to the English language, because that is politically correctness gone way too far, to literally be forcing language down our throats. If we need such a word, it will develop on its own, without anyone needing to impose it.

• 'It' Kind of Works

I do not believe a gender-neutral pronoun should be introduced to the English language. Many other languages use gender specific pronouns and it is quite normal to have these. I do not feel we should change the languages to provide a gender-neutral pronoun. If anything, I think it would be more than appropriate to find a term already available in the language rather than make up a word.

• No, there shouldn't be a gender neutral pronoun in the English Language.

I do not see any need for a gender-neutral pronoun to be introduced in the English language. I think that such a proposal is silly. People are getting way too ridiculous with all of the politically correct ideology that infects American society today. I think that English language has enough words to describe people.

• Pronouns shouldn’t make people question their gender

— if these people legitimately believe they are ofa certain gender, Then it shouldn’t matter how they’re addressed. To begin with, Messing with pronouns has already become a debacle. People want to be respectful. . . However, Even the most well-meaning person wouldn’t be able to remember how every other person’s preference. I grew up in a generation where being called an “it” is a form of an insult and using “they” makes it like you don’t want to properly acknowledge a person’s individuality. I don’t see written works shifting to using “they/their” (imagine how confusing that would be in using that for multiple characters in a scene). The same would happen should another pronoun be introduced. Giving in to demands like these only pander to the insecurities of those who don’t really believe what they’re preaching.

• No, it is very pc and doesn't work.

If it doesnt support biology, than it is dumb. Why should we make a mess of established sciences? Instating gender neutrality would lead to people identifying as random things which is sadly already happening. Sites like wikipedia even have pages for this non established, weak pseudoscience. Very. Very dumb idea.