Do you think Barry Goldwater is responsible for the resurgence of conservatism in the United States?

• Barry Goldwater and Marco Rubio are strong

People are starting to realize that minority voters can vote in the Republican party. Barry Goldwater was part of this. I see Barry Goldwater as kind of part of the Ancien Regime, so he may be old fashioned. This is ok, but some things seem to take longer with the Ancien Regime than usual.

• Barry Goldwater had strong influence in resurgence of conservatism

He may not have been the only leading person in the movement towards conservatism but did play a major role. He was an extremist and held many rallying political statements to put his point across which reached and influenced a lot of people. He is no different from any other activist who put time and reputation on the line in order to spark progress.

• Barry Goldwater is largely responsible for the post-war consevative resurgence.

While Barry Goldwater's famous rallying call, 'Extremism is the defense of liberty is no vice...moderation in the pursuit of justice no virtue!', may not have won him the 1964 election, it inspired a new generation of conservative activists who would eventually go on to partake in the Reagan Revolution of the 1980s. Thus Goldwater is largely responsible for the later conservative movement.

• Christian Coalition, Elderly Are Responsible

In 20 years, the faces of American politics will be totally different than they are today. Republicans will no longer be the party of "old white men" because most of the baby boomers that elect the GOP will be dead. Barry Goldwater isn't responsible for the resurgence of conservatism in the United States. It's because of the Christian Coalition and the elderly who are stuck in their ways.

• Barry Goldwater did not cause a resugence in conservatism

Barry Goldwater set back rather than strengthened the conservative cause in the United States. He lost the presidency to Johnson in a historical landslide. It took until 1980 for a conservative to win a presidential election and reoccupy the White House. Goldwater may have been very influential within the conservative movement, but he did not do much to spread conservative beliefs outside the fold of the true believers.

Martinz says2019-07-31T12:22:05.250
While Goldwater may have been responsible for the yadda, Yadda, Yadda, I think that it is more to the point to say that Goldwater was the thinking man's conservative.
Goldwater did not, Justifiably as it turned out, Trust Nixon while both were in the Senate. Goldwater was opposed to mixing politics and religion. Now there seems to be an un-divorceable marriage between the Republican Party and religious institutions. Goldwater actually held his fellow Republicans feet to the fire while what we have now is childish insults from a national embarrassment directed exclusivity at Democrats and a return to the bigotry and party division of the old south. All for the sake of electoral, Not popular, Votes.

I was too young to vote in 1964, But I think, I hope that I would have voted for him if I could have.