• --Why America is so far behind--

The fact is, the US does not have top-quality teachers because teaching (due to low paychecks) is an undesirable profession. If we raise the paychecks and eliminate tenure, teaching will once again become a suitable profession and will therefore attract talented individuals to become teachers and thus make the country better educated

Look back at Ancient Greece; teachers and tutors were payed almost as much as religious leaders and were very respectable and therefore required higher education to beat out the competition. Because of this competetiveness, society became more educated altogether.

My question is- what can we learn from the past? Isn't that part of the curriculum in the first place?

• They definitely should be.

Teachers are vital to the future. They say kids are the future, but if there aren't any adults to teach the future what kind of world will we become? They contribute a lot more than they get credit for and their salaries should be upped a lot. Teachers go through a lot and what they get back isn't enough.

• I think that teachers are getting less than what they're working for.

I don't know if they're working to resolve this or not, but teachers should get more I think. Teachers, in my opinion, is one the most important jobs to have in this world. How can we accomplish what we have today without teachers? I searched on Google of the salaries of teachers and it says under $60,000. To me, that's a bit less. I would suggest to bump up the pay between $80K - 100K.
    Please give your opinion to me.
    P.S: This is my first day in Debate.Org.

• Of course they should

Teachers should get paid more because they create the basis of education in billions of people's life's. With pout teachers, how would we gain knowledge? I don't understand why a celebrity like Kim K gets paid millions to just look pretty but a teacher only gets paid about $35,000. It's crazy how they think celebrities benefit society more.

• Yes yes yes!

I am an NQT, working in a class with not TA,4 children with ASD, 3 with serious behaviour issues, parents who expect me to parent there children and very little support from SLT. My school has spent a large about on installing very expensive speakers in the hallways so that there can be music to create and ‘enjoyable school environment’ as well as a face recognition signing in/ out machine yet I am having to constantly buy glu sticks, white board pens and colouring pencils for my classroom as we never have any in school. As manditonry for where I live, 7% of my wages goes towards my pension (which won’t rise with inflation) as well as my student loans and that is all before taking into consideration the regular 14 hours a day I do regularly. I work 80 hours a week for at least 41 weeks a year (not including times i have gone into school during the holidays and weekends spent on SATs booster sessions) on a 22,400 salary (minus pension contribution, student loans and tax) I earn just under £5 an hours which is well below the national living wage!

• Teachers are not getting paid enough

Teachers are only paid around $40 an hour, a Senior UX Designer at staples makes more than that hourly! Teachers have to deal with the stress of students and school issues. They have to use their own time to grade assignments, spend their own money on classroom decoration and items, yet their paid $40 and HOUR!!! Anesthesiologist’s have the best paying jobs, but teachers are the ones who teach them, they are only Anesthesiologist’s because of the teachers. Teachers have to deal with students, about 30 of them! And than for six hours! Middle school teachers have to deal with about 30 students, however, they have a different class every hour! 30 * 6 = 180, that's about 180 students a day! Why aren't they paid enough for teaching and practically babysitting 180 students!?! Teachers should have the highest paying jobs, everyone, every adult, has their job because of the teachers, the teachers make jobs, they teach student, they shape our world.

• Teachers are vital to the world

Without teachers, there would be no police officers, docters, lawyers, or just about anything. The reason teachwers get the summer off is becuase the kids get off. And this is not true for all teachers. Some work 10 hours a day, monday-friday, all year. An average of 20,000 is not enough to support a family in the modern world. To live in Boise Idaho, You need an average salery of 60,000 dollars with no tv, vacations, eating out, and a simple car.

• Yes they should

When I see my teachers I feel bad for them. They have to deal with crazy students and yelling all the time and also receiving massive headaches. And without teachers, we would have no doctors and other jobs so for all the things that a teacher does we all now they should get paid more even if they don't want to. They deserve a higher pay.

• Teach pay to be more generous

Teachers are extremely underpaid. Fact. Our current prime ministers and presidents, Where did they go as a child/teenager? School. Who taught them? Teachers. Yet the people who reach into the mind of our children, who could well be our next prime minister, are paid a grand total of just over a bin man. Shocking, Teachers slave day and night to educate our children with not just knowledge, but the keys to unlock the future of our world. Rest my case not until teachers are paid fairly. Rest my case not until teachers are rewarded for their honourable work. Rest my case not until teachers are paid at least 70k a year. Who is joining me?

• They should as

THEY WORK EXTREMELY HARD TO PUSH CHILDREN TO DO WELL IN EXAMS SUCH AS THE SATs.THEY ALSO CREATE POWERPOINTS ANS INFORMATION SHEETS BY THEMSELVES TO PROVIDE THE CHILDREN YO HELP THEM WITH THERE WORK. IN ADDITION TO THIS THEY ALSO WORK OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM AS THEY HACE TO MARK STUDENTS WORK.THEY ALSO DO MORE THAN JUST TEACH.THEY SOLVE EQUATIONS AND TEACH YOUNG STUDENTS HOW TO BECOME A GOOD ADULT. ALSO THEY SHOULD GET PAID MORE AS THEY MAKE AN IMPACT ON OUR LIVES BY LEADING US TO THE RIGHT PATH AND MAKING US A GOOD PERSON.THEY ALSO MAKE US INTELLIGENT AND IF WE ARE INTELLIGENT WE GET A GOOD JOB.IF WE GET A GOOD JOB THEN WWE GET GOOD MONEY.IF WE EARN GOOD MONEY, WE CAN BUY A GOOD HOUSE.

• Teachers not paid more than teachers

Firstly my uncle is a police officer and he even has to do the night shift but teachers do not have to go on the night shift.Also police put their lives in danger to save people while teachers do not have to do this.So police should be paid more than teachers.

Posted by: Fo
  • Is there any other Job out there that grants you summers off?

While what they are currently paid is far from the best salary out there, they only actually work about 8 months per years. So if a teacher is making 50k with 8 months per year of work then their salary is equivalent to 75k. They make plenty as it is.

• Payment is not an issue

If Payment is used as a motivational tool for better education, then why not pay the students, not the teachers? Because a teacher can open a door for as long as they wish, but only the student can walk through it. All we would need is to have reasonably high expectations, and the students will strive to succeed. This, undoubtedly, would be much cheaper, and more efficient.

• That is not the problem

The problem is that we have the worst teachers in the world. Teachers union and tenure are problems that help to make sure bad teachers cannot be replaced. Just paying someone more without requiring they do a better job, due to skill assessments, mandatory learning, etc. will not raise the quality of education.

As it currently stands, American teachers on average do the worst in college as opposed to private sector workers. Recognizing this, it is obvious that teachers deserve a lower salary due to inferior skill set.

Http://www.Amazon.Com/Ed-School-Follies-Miseducation-Paperback/dp/B00FVR2P28/ref=sr_1_6?S=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382623634&sr=1-6&keywords=rita+kramer

This discussion is the same as "Should mcdonald workers get paid more". If you are a hard worker, and are skilled at some job, you will not be working at mcdonalds. Just like if you are skilled in mathematics you will not take a job teaching students for half that you would make in the private sector.

Don't let teachers fool you. Nobody teaches out of the goodness of their hearts or whatever tale about saving the world they want to give you. The only way to pay teachers more, is to require better teachers. The market will force better salaries for better teachers.

• Its not all about the money.

First of all my wife is a teacher and they definitely work very hard, at least the most of them. I disagree that the US lacks quality teachers due to the low paychecks. It is due to the lack of respect from the students and the parents. Teacher have zero power to discipline the bad students.

As in most professional jobs, teachers are constantly thinking about their jobs after they get home and one the weekends. My wife works every weekend grading papers but she is an English teacher so her workload is higher than all other teachers. Math teachers for example would work less.

This being said, teachers do start out with very low pay. After 10 years they make decent money considering they work 3/4 of a year. By the time they retire they make good pay and get a very good retirement. They also get to retire at the age of 62 (in Ohio sooner in other states).

• No, the problem is not the pay.

Since when does paying someone more make them do a better job. Are you going to pay president obama 10 times more so he could realize hes a terrible president? This doesn't make any sense, teachers should already be motivated, and even if they find this new way of magical teaching the government limits them. The department of education sends guidelines to how and what teachers will teach. If we would let free market decide on education, and keep the government out; We would have the highest quality, lowest priced education just like phones, computers etc. Then maybe teachers pay will vary, but under this department of education this isn't necessary. It is like proving this socialistic system will not work by just giving them more money, and just letting capitalism do its work

• Teachers get paid enough

If they get $40 dollars an hour, That is really good. With that, Yeah, It might be a little stressful, But you get to make the next generation of good young learners and fix the awful things that have come to America during the Obama administration. Teachers get paid enough

• Depends on the state

In NY and NJ teachers make great salaries often more than their privite sector counterparts 80k plus. I agree in many states like Mississippi they are chronically underpaid. Since I live in NY I see where they make enough and should not be getting guaranteed multiple percentage point raises every year. Lots of us in the business world have masters degrees too and dont get 12-14 weeks off a year. So again it totally depends on the state.

My second argument is that my college and work colleges that went to poor school systems in states like South Carolina turned out just fine and are as smart as the NY schooled kids. So I am not seeing the return on investment to pay teachers a ton and get 'smarter' students or whatever the teacher argument is for getting more money. Most of my high school friends that are teachers were not even close to being the smartest kids in the class. So any average person with patience for children can do the job. It also becomes way easier once you start recycling lesson plans year after yer.

• Teachers are being less needed

Lot of kids are becoming home schooled and now access to Internet, we can learn a lot. Not saying we don't need teachers it's just when times go on the demand of teachers will probably go down.

Also think about, what is dangerous about working as a teacher compare to a fireman. More dangerous and high demand for your job is more money. Also in my state, teachers take up most of the tax money for pay.

• More than what?

Most people have no idea how much teachers make. On top of this, teachers get very nice benefits that are rarely factored into the discussion. Furthermore, many of them are in unions that makes it difficult to be fired. There are way more willing teachers than there are open positions, and thus there is no need to pay teachers more to attract new teachers. Thus, until pay is based on merit, teachers should not be paid more.

>