• --Why America is so far behind--

The fact is, the US does not have top-quality teachers because teaching (due to low paychecks) is an undesirable profession. If we raise the paychecks and eliminate tenure, teaching will once again become a suitable profession and will therefore attract talented individuals to become teachers and thus make the country better educated

Look back at Ancient Greece; teachers and tutors were payed almost as much as religious leaders and were very respectable and therefore required higher education to beat out the competition. Because of this competetiveness, society became more educated altogether.

My question is- what can we learn from the past? Isn't that part of the curriculum in the first place?

• They definitely should be.

Teachers are vital to the future. They say kids are the future, but if there aren't any adults to teach the future what kind of world will we become? They contribute a lot more than they get credit for and their salaries should be upped a lot. Teachers go through a lot and what they get back isn't enough.

• I think that teachers are getting less than what they're working for.

I don't know if they're working to resolve this or not, but teachers should get more I think. Teachers, in my opinion, is one the most important jobs to have in this world. How can we accomplish what we have today without teachers? I searched on Google of the salaries of teachers and it says under $60,000. To me, that's a bit less. I would suggest to bump up the pay between $80K - 100K.
    Please give your opinion to me.
    P.S: This is my first day in Debate.Org.

• Of course they should

Teachers should get paid more because they create the basis of education in billions of people's life's. With pout teachers, how would we gain knowledge? I don't understand why a celebrity like Kim K gets paid millions to just look pretty but a teacher only gets paid about $35,000. It's crazy how they think celebrities benefit society more.

• Yes, They should

1. A teacher provides the education and skills for every pursuable career. Without this, There would be no doctors, No lawyers, No politicians etc.
    2. It has been proven that teachers have one of the most stressful jobs available, And often in their so-called 'holidays', They have to work extra jobs to make ends meet.
    3. 5 years of training for £12/h is not a good salary, And I believe if you have trained for something, You should be paid highly to do it.

• Teachers are more important

What do celebrities teach? Nothing but greed. We go to school for a reason and celebrities just teach stupid things. Education system is messed up bc people aren't supporting it to make it better. People just support the entertainment and sport industry. They just sing and play a sport and get paid millions while teacher teaching hundreds of kids for 10 months get nothing. Shame

• They get paid so little!

Teachers only get paid 50000 dollars a year! That’s barely enough money to Live on! They have a really hard job! They have to take work home! They have to take care of a full class of kids! They don’t get very much respect! And then they get paid so little!

• Absolutely should get paid more

I think that teachers should get paid more because after all they are spending their time helping children pass their exams. It is estimated that 732 students got straight nines in all their subjects for GCSE. Do you actually understand how great that achievement is and most of that credit goes to the teachers despite the GCSE getting harder, There is a rise in more students passing their examinations with flying colours. So please give respect to those teachers that earn the credit. And my statement is that TEACHERS SHOULD BE PAID MORE!

• I think teacher work hard so they can get more money and bounes

Teachers should always get money because they work so hard and come to work every day and if they're sick they get a sub so I think they should get more money and pay raises that is why teachers should always get more money so they can work to school work online and all that just like my mom she's working and she's doing school work online so thank you I'm so glad to answer all these questions

• They need to be paid.

They need to be paid more because the teachers work really hard to become a teacher, Get their bachelor or masters degree, And that sometimes their students get really crazy but they still love them. Also they spend time away from their family because they have to check their students work.

• That is not the problem

The problem is that we have the worst teachers in the world. Teachers union and tenure are problems that help to make sure bad teachers cannot be replaced. Just paying someone more without requiring they do a better job, due to skill assessments, mandatory learning, etc. will not raise the quality of education.

As it currently stands, American teachers on average do the worst in college as opposed to private sector workers. Recognizing this, it is obvious that teachers deserve a lower salary due to inferior skill set.

Http://www.Amazon.Com/Ed-School-Follies-Miseducation-Paperback/dp/B00FVR2P28/ref=sr_1_6?S=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382623634&sr=1-6&keywords=rita+kramer

This discussion is the same as "Should mcdonald workers get paid more". If you are a hard worker, and are skilled at some job, you will not be working at mcdonalds. Just like if you are skilled in mathematics you will not take a job teaching students for half that you would make in the private sector.

Don't let teachers fool you. Nobody teaches out of the goodness of their hearts or whatever tale about saving the world they want to give you. The only way to pay teachers more, is to require better teachers. The market will force better salaries for better teachers.

• Payment is not an issue

If Payment is used as a motivational tool for better education, then why not pay the students, not the teachers? Because a teacher can open a door for as long as they wish, but only the student can walk through it. All we would need is to have reasonably high expectations, and the students will strive to succeed. This, undoubtedly, would be much cheaper, and more efficient.

• Is there any other Job out there that grants you summers off?

While what they are currently paid is far from the best salary out there, they only actually work about 8 months per years. So if a teacher is making 50k with 8 months per year of work then their salary is equivalent to 75k. They make plenty as it is.

• No, the problem is not the pay.

Since when does paying someone more make them do a better job. Are you going to pay president obama 10 times more so he could realize hes a terrible president? This doesn't make any sense, teachers should already be motivated, and even if they find this new way of magical teaching the government limits them. The department of education sends guidelines to how and what teachers will teach. If we would let free market decide on education, and keep the government out; We would have the highest quality, lowest priced education just like phones, computers etc. Then maybe teachers pay will vary, but under this department of education this isn't necessary. It is like proving this socialistic system will not work by just giving them more money, and just letting capitalism do its work

• Its not all about the money.

First of all my wife is a teacher and they definitely work very hard, at least the most of them. I disagree that the US lacks quality teachers due to the low paychecks. It is due to the lack of respect from the students and the parents. Teacher have zero power to discipline the bad students.

As in most professional jobs, teachers are constantly thinking about their jobs after they get home and one the weekends. My wife works every weekend grading papers but she is an English teacher so her workload is higher than all other teachers. Math teachers for example would work less.

This being said, teachers do start out with very low pay. After 10 years they make decent money considering they work 3/4 of a year. By the time they retire they make good pay and get a very good retirement. They also get to retire at the age of 62 (in Ohio sooner in other states).

• Teachers not paid more than teachers

Firstly my uncle is a police officer and he even has to do the night shift but teachers do not have to go on the night shift.Also police put their lives in danger to save people while teachers do not have to do this.So police should be paid more than teachers.

Posted by: Fo
  • I think they should get paid more

Because without teachers there would no be doctors because the teacher teach the doctors to do what they need to do like fore example they thought them about blood types and about the medical stuff and they also teach them how to do CPR and what to do with there hands and how to take Gloves off

• More than what?

Most people have no idea how much teachers make. On top of this, teachers get very nice benefits that are rarely factored into the discussion. Furthermore, many of them are in unions that makes it difficult to be fired. There are way more willing teachers than there are open positions, and thus there is no need to pay teachers more to attract new teachers. Thus, until pay is based on merit, teachers should not be paid more.

• Teachers are being less needed

Lot of kids are becoming home schooled and now access to Internet, we can learn a lot. Not saying we don't need teachers it's just when times go on the demand of teachers will probably go down.

Also think about, what is dangerous about working as a teacher compare to a fireman. More dangerous and high demand for your job is more money. Also in my state, teachers take up most of the tax money for pay.

• Depends on the state

In NY and NJ teachers make great salaries often more than their privite sector counterparts 80k plus. I agree in many states like Mississippi they are chronically underpaid. Since I live in NY I see where they make enough and should not be getting guaranteed multiple percentage point raises every year. Lots of us in the business world have masters degrees too and dont get 12-14 weeks off a year. So again it totally depends on the state.

My second argument is that my college and work colleges that went to poor school systems in states like South Carolina turned out just fine and are as smart as the NY schooled kids. So I am not seeing the return on investment to pay teachers a ton and get 'smarter' students or whatever the teacher argument is for getting more money. Most of my high school friends that are teachers were not even close to being the smartest kids in the class. So any average person with patience for children can do the job. It also becomes way easier once you start recycling lesson plans year after yer.