Do you think this generation of young adults feels like they are entitled to everything without giving much in return?

• For the most part, yes.

Okay, first things first. Not ALL of this generation sucks. We still have very good kids who can very much run our country some day. Those kids have ideas for our future, and work hard. They know what's important.

They're not like the other 90% of kids who...Just...Ugh. Here we go.

A lot, a LOT of kids nowadays, are spoiled silly. Absolutely silly. 5 year olds getting their own iPad so they can play games. Their own cell phones, laptops (I'm not kidding about the laptop thing, I personally know one kid...). What happened to the good ol' days where the only electronics a kid owned himself were video games?

I'm not one of those people who think technology is a bad thing. Our society has greatly benefited from it. However, it can also..*sigh*

Don't you hate it when you see those kids? You know, those ones sitting in front of the TV all day? That don't do anything else, and when their parents try to get them to do something else, throw a tantrum saying "It's not fair!"? Whatever happened to respect? Does it just not exist anymore? Is it just some word that was only known in ancient civilizations? Seriously, kids should know to be kind to other people, even if you dislike them. You dislike Mrs. Simonson? Well, suck it up kid and be polite. It's hard, I know, but *sunglasses* Deal With It.

Oh wait, there's another word from ancient times. "Polite." Oh, and there's also that other long forgotten one, "manners".

Yeah, sorry you didn't get the Christmas present you always dreamed of, but you know what? That person spent their money and time getting that for you, so at least say a "Thank you" and pretend to like it. It's the least you can do.

Oh, and there's another word. Or, phrase rather. "Thank you". As much as I hate to say it, I rarely hear that from kids these days. I can't tell you how annoying it is when I see children at the check-out line:
    "Mom, mom please, can I have candy? Please? Please please? Mom! Why not?! I just had candy? But mom, that was an hour ago! And that was, like this much! Moom! I want candy! I want candy! Give, me, candy!!"

(There's more, but limit is 500 words..)

• Tired of Ungrateful Young People

My grandchildren, five of them in their teens, don't appreciate what is done for them. They feel they deserve whatever they want. My children were brought up to acknowledge gifts, etc. And to be grateful for what they have. Social skills aren't being taught today, and kids don't realize how necessary they are in getting ahead in life.

• Can We Say Kids With Cell Phones?

I think kids are feeling entitled because some parents are just lazy now and instead of making a child earn something they just give in at the first sign of tantrum. Kids have iPhones/iPads/Kindles/gaming systems, I'm in my 20s and only have an iPhone that I saved for and I still have my Super Nintendo from when I was kid. I earned an allowance of $5 a week so it took me 3 whole months to save up if I wanted a new video game. I got my first cell phone at 17, it was the most basic thing, no camera, no apps, no color screen. I'm just appalled when I see CHILDREN carting around iPads and fancy cell phones -- they are freaking 5 yrs old, who are they calling?!? And all it takes is one set of parents to think parenting consists of giving their little angel anything they scream loud enough for, no matter the cost, then every kid on the block wants an iPad "cuz Grayson got one"..

• The young generation, today, thinks everything is like the Internet: unlimited access, with no cost.

I am a big believer that the current generation has been spoiled by the Internet. You can get access to almost anything you want for free. And, the current generation seems to be addicted to video games. In the video games, they are the star of the entire world, and they can start over if they make a mistake. Then, they seem surprised, when real life is not like that.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • Absolutely, And I'm young

I grew up in a small town and went to public schooling. I have also spent alot of time with adults and it is clear as day to me the difference in attitude. Older people would tell me how they had to live when they were young and it wasn't anything like it was today. Young people today are spoiled and feel they are entitled. We don't get punished for doing something bad, because laying a finger on your child is now considered abuse. By that, we were raised to think that everything we do in this world will be acceptable. This generation of mine has the highest dropout, crime, and unemployment rates of all generations who have lived. Liberal views have brought in this " Do whatever you please" mentality and has changed our beloved culture into a big free for all which this new generation uses as its playground. People my age sit around for a living. People who are in their 80's when they were my age were working 12 hour days to make a living and didn't go home until the job was done. Technology has made society lazy and gave them an easy way out of life. So is our culture now.

• Young adults today expect to get what they want.

Young adults expect to get anything they ask for without giving anything in return. They are disrespectful to their parents and only treat them decently temporarily when they want something or when they get what they want. They are not happy with what they currently have, and continue to complain even after they finally get what they think they are entitled to.

• I agree that young adults feel entitled, because they are unwilling to work for all the benefits that they demand.

Young adults are now demanding more and more of both goods and services, yet they expect to work less for such things. Instead of recognizing that they need to work more, if they are to receive more, they expect the opposite. This disease is largely responsible for our declining economy.

Posted by: PrettyVince50
  • Because of the young generation now, I fear for myself when I get older, because kids today are too spoiled.

This generation of kids that are in the their teens are what I fear most about my future. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, and I got spanked when I did something wrong. I grew up respecting my elders, parents, and authority figures. I know what it's like to have to work for a living and reaping what I sow. These kids nowadays don't get punished for anything. They throw a fit and, instead of being punished and told the right way to act, they simply get what they want, so the parents don't have to hear them whine. They are not taught to earn things that they want.

Posted by: 5h4yGlory
  • The generation of today are not used to hard work or delayed gratification!

No matter what my kids saw us do while they were young, they don't seem to know how to work hard themselves... They are so self-absorbed, it seems they think they are entitled to whatever 'comes their way'! My son (14) plays video games even though I tell him to read a book. He's a good kid overall, but his "almost" obsession with these games makes me want to detach the X-box right out of the wall!

• Absolutely and fully spoilt

Absolutely, And I'm young I grew up in a small town and went to public schooling. I have also spent alot of time with adults and it is clear as day to me the difference in attitude. Older people would tell me how they had to live when they were young and it wasn't anything like it was today. Young people today are spoiled and feel they are entitled. We don't get punished for doing something bad, because laying a finger on your child is now considered abuse. By that, we were raised to think that everything we do in this world will be acceptable. This generation of mine has the highest dropout, crime, and unemployment rates of all generations who have lived. Liberal views have brought in this " Do whatever you please" mentality and has changed our beloved culture into a big free for all which this new generation uses as its playground. People my age sit around for a living. People who are in their 80's when they were my age were working 12 hour days to make a living and didn't go home until the job was done. Technology has made society lazy and gave them an easy way out of life. So is our culture now

• Without technology we're all in trouble

Ok so everyone is saying that its because of all these new gadgets that we are in trouble......But i know so many adults who work in the computers field. Schools utilize so many apple devices from ipads to iphones.....If you take it all away, we are losing jobs, assets, and life saving features.....The city i live in is the safest in the US but we still hear about all sorts of issues happening. And if you look it up on the internet so many former child molesters live in and around my commmunity. I would rather have children with smartphones so parents can track where they are going (the find my iphone app for example which can track where the iphone is and therefore where your child is) and children equipped with being able to call 911 than have them molested and raped. Sure in the 70s we did not have iphones but how many rapists and child molesters were around back then??????

• Technology is a necessity

Most of the complaints about the kids having technology come from people who are mad about not having access to it when they were young. In today's world not having access to technology like laptops and iPads and things of that nature puts you at a disadvantage. It shouldn't but it does and if we accept that reality and realize that "hard work" today is different than physical work. The internet has changed the world and the people who grew up with it and understand it as well as the technology are the ones making the biggest changes in the world. Remember what the older generation said about you when you were young. They're contributing in that aspect exponentially more than the older generation who generally reject technology. I'm 21 and work at a Verizon.

• Look at History

What the older generation needs to understand (and remember) is that for all of history, there has always been that young generation that has been the subject of scorn and criticism by the elders of their generation. Young people are generally not the brightest tool in the shed, and they lack the experience needed to be considered wise by their elders. Why is that any different for this generation? In addition, the time period in which we are currently living in is a unique one due to the rapid technological advancements that have occurred within the last century. Yes, hard work should always be rewarded and praised, but I think the older generation is forgetting that times have changed and certain types of work are simply not needed anymore. We now live in an information age where we have practically everything at the tip of our fingers, so why should we expect young people to have the same mentality as the young generations living in centuries past? A good amount of young people actually do work hard. It's just simply not the same type of work that the older generation is used to.

• Don't think so

It depends on the person. Im a young adult and Im not like that. I accept some things I have to give to get. Some young adults are like that. But sensible young adults like me know and accept that to get we have to give for some things. You can't get everything for nothing these days

Posted by: DF
  • I think every older generation feels that way about younger generations.

There are people in every generation that act this way. I recently had a roommate that was from the younger generation, and he did act like the world owed him something. The way I see it, when we are young, we might think that way, but, after a few times of getting knocked down, we learn this is not true.

Posted by: 5c0tJung
  • I don't think any particular generation feels any more entitled than another.

Part of growing up is figuring out what one's role is in society. While there certainly are young people who take things for granted, these exist in any generation. There are also many young adults who take on extra responsibility and aim to make the world a better place, and they should be given credit, as well.

Posted by: KevonA
  • Young adults of this generation are no different than young adults of historical generations.

I believe that we lack perspective and historical insight when we condemn or harshly criticize the modern world. Aren't adolescents of this century subject to the same growth patterns, impulsiveness and difficult choices of generations past? Didn't parents of flappers in the 20's pull their hair out, just as do parents of hip hop kids today? The trends change, but the underlying search for identity and meaning that all youth experience is the same.

Posted by: TaryHenr
  • This generation has less

This generation has been given countries falling apart, Been belittled constantly for years by older generations, And is now being expected to fix all that with no fault of their own actually causing the problems and no idea how to reverse them. In short everyone is overwhelmed in a society that needs to change but can't figure out where or how to start and only seems to be digging itself deeper. This generation isn't entitled but instead overpowered by the issues in the world and the burdens they're expected to take on.

• Not in the slightest.

As time passes everything evolves for example, technology. Is it wrong for the younger generation to evolve with it and use such things? Just because so many years ago in maybe the 80's or 90's you were spending your time doing other activities, this doesn't mean our generation should follow suit. Change is needed for development in society. Just because a 15 year old owns the latest IPhone, or your teenage son stays at home playing video games doesn't make this generation the generation of terrible bad mouthed teens that you perceive them to be, and I struggle to see where this idea or belief has come from. Teenagers should be allowed to enjoy their youth for as long as possible, as these days they are forced to grow up rather quickly and are faced with enormous pressures and scrutiny from their peers and even parents. To me this generation come across as extremely open minded unlike the previous generations whom where impulsive and critical of anything out of the ordinary. This belief spouts from bigoted fools who refuse to see further than their narrow minds and observe what seems to be an extremely intelligent, selfless and hard working generation who have already overcome so much adversity.
    You cannot blame the fact that your children are spoilt because of how they have been raised in this day and age, because news flash! YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TEACHING THEM MORALS. It is not the job of anyone else, but you. You are the ones who are buying the technology which is according to you 'making them spoilt'. Well, a simple solution to this issue would be to not give in to your child and refuse to buy it for them. Tell them to work for it. Doing this will teach them about the value of money and to not take anything for granted. If you don't, then I'm sorry to say but you have no reason to criticize or complain.
    Our society isn't lazy, we have just evolved. Maybe that's what the older generation should do too.

• This generation is going to work harder, longer and for less than any generation since the great depression.

The idea that the first generation in a century to face a lower quality of life than their parents are entitled is absolutely ridiculous. Shorter lifespans, higher infant mortality rates, never being able to own a home or save for retirement all while working longer hours for shorter pay and fewer benefits.

>