• You can't control what other people say just because you're offended.

Freedom of speech applies to all manner of expression. As a staunch opponent of censorship, I believe that we have to let people speak as they wish to if we want to see any real social progress. We can't just make concessions in the constitution to help people feel better about themselves - if you allow that to take place, You're moving the country from freedom to social control, And as far as I'm concerned, Such a scenario is far more terrifying than social prejudice.

No matter how much we don't like it, Hate speech is free speech, And the more you try to censor it, The more social damage you do. When you try to shut someone up because you don't like what they have to say, You're only breeding resentment that makes them more hateful towards you. That doesn't accomplish anything but make society even darker and more self-destructive.

I get it - being called something like "fag", "nigger", Or "wetback" is incredibly hurtful and highly offensive, But it comes with your constitutional rights to criticize the government or protest against injustice. You can't make hatred just "go away" by trying to silence it - that only makes it worse.

• Offensiveness is subjective

Once you give power over to someone else (i. E. Government) to make decisions over what's offensive and what's not, It's only a matter of time for words/subjects/objects/etc. That you find to be perfectly acceptable are deemed to be offensive.

The American Civil Liberties Union has often been at the center of controversy for defending the free speech rights of groups that spew hate, Such as the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazis. But if only popular ideas were protected, We wouldn't need a First Amendment. History teaches that the first target of government repression is never the last. If we do not come to the defense of the free speech rights of the most unpopular among us, Even if their views are antithetical to the very freedom the First Amendment stands for, Then no one's liberty will be secure. In that sense, All First Amendment rights are "indivisible. "

• Freedom of spech

Freedom of spech allows the world to go around. If you werent allowed to free speeche it up then ameruca would be the same as thatof communismchina. Drink your ormus, Pet you cat. Birds are of the greatness that embodies the light of the father in heaven. Without the spech noone anyone

• Freedom of speech gives us a better life in everyway!

What leads us to a better society is the possibility of correcting what's wrong, We have to be able to discuss everything that holds back us as a species!
    We cannot ever anticipate what will offend someone! Knowledge and truth make the world a better place, Let's not give in to bigotry and people who rather say that they've been 'offended by that'!

• Because #$%^ you that's why.

Who cares about your feelings little liberal soft heart. Go cry in a blanket, Wipe your tears, Toughen up and get out and do something with your life that doesn't involve infringing on basic rights we've had for hundreds of years. I don't care if something I said hurt someone's fee fees and most normal people don't either.

• 'Wokeness' will end free speech as we know it.

Now while this will not be the best articulated supporting argument; vacant of any sources, Not endorsed by anyone and probably with a few grammatical discrepancies I hope that my point gets across nonetheless.
    We've all encountered an awkward question, 'Does this dress make me look fat? ' Or 'What do you think of this suit? ' Maybe even 'Can you tell this is a wig? ' I've encountered at least one out of the three examples of those myself and on occasion I've had to risk causing offence. Not because I wanted to upset that person, But because they'd asked for my opinion and on that occasion the dress looked like a bed sheet and I didn't want them to be taken up in the air by a big gust of wind with the bed sheet like dress acting as a parachute in the wind! The truth is that Freedom of Speech only exists if you have the right to offend, If you didn't risk offending someone their next 'great idea' could be their last.
    I learned as a teenager that when someone is being offensive you have a plethora of options, 2 examples are: you can choose to be offended - this seems to be the norm these days; or you can ignore the offensive nature of their WORDS and engage in what I hope would be an educational debate with the offender - my personal choice. If more people chose the latter option instead of jumping on social media to see if this is to be their 15 minutes of fame I truly believe that by the time I have kids and they become adults the world would be a little less hate filled and a whole lot more knowledgeable. Not through passing laws that impede speech but just through communicating and education.
    So the reason that I clicked 'Yes' to this question is simple, If you restrict peoples freedom of speech and/or right to offend what you're effectively doing is putting your fingers in your ears, Closing your eyes and pretending that it's not there! That to me is more concerning than if someone was to say to me "You're a white Male, You can't have an opinion" I find that offensive, Yet I'm not about to take to Twitter to air my grievance, I want to know why they think that way and help them understand that we are all Humans, Whatever your race, Religion, Language, Height, Width and so on. Just be more responsible and respectful, It's not quantum physics!

• This is pretty elementary.

The right to free speech means nothing if it does not include the right to be free from regulation of speech deemed offensive by somebody or some group. That is the whole point of freedom of speech. But the right to freedom of speech is the right to be free of governmental restriction on speech. There is no right to be free of private consequences of offensive speech.

• That's the Whole Point!

Many people who voted "No" said that is is wrong to deliberately offend others. True. But Free Speech still affords people the right to do that anyway. While someone who deliberately offends someone else might not be in the right, They do still have the right.

If you start locking up people for offensive speech, Then you end up with a state of affairs where "only speech that I like is free, " which isn't really free speech at all!

There are some types of speech that do get you locked up. For example, Leaking government secrets or literally and seriously calling for violence. These types of speech are directly, Tangibly harmful, Potentially to many people, And it is good that they are restricted.

But speech that merely *offends* a person (or even a group of people)? Grow up, Deal with it, And move on! It's not actually harmful. It's not directly, Tangibly harmful. It's just offensive. And that kind of speech is fair game, And ought to remain that way for ever - Free Speech, No strings attached.

• Who decides what is offensive and what is not?

Saying that offensive speech is not protected by free speech is a VERY dangerous slope to be on. Should we be offensive on purpose to other people? That is an obvious no. With that being said free speech gives us the right to speak our mind even if some people are offended by our views. Free speech is what makes America so great.

• Freedom of speech and right to not offend are incompatible, with freedom of speech being more important for the liberal world we live in.

If we value freedom of speech, then we need to make it absolute, without drawing arbitrary lines in the sand. Not offending people may sound like a decent ideal, but is incompatible with freedom of speech, as different people are going to be offended by different things, and if you want to have the risk of offence to be at 0, you cannot say anything out of fear of offending. This sparing of others feelings comes at the cost of your own freedom of speech.
    Thus comes the question, if these are incompatible values, which one should we value more? This is based on one's personal ethics, however, the liberal world that we live in is built upon free speech, with us being free to vote, think and spend however we please. If we value the liberal world we live in, freedom of speech is more important than the right to not offend.

• It can lead to harmful or unintended consequences.

Imagine a parent tells his/her 6 year old child to go jump off a building because the child is annoying the parent for any reason. This child actually goes and does it, how useful is freedom of speech in this situation?

What if a 40 year old man wants to verbally abuse a 10 year old girl, who he sees in the subway, with sexual comments? Obviously the little girl might be offended, and even the people around to hear it might be offended. What use is freedom of speech here? For those of you who believe in morals, this example should appeal to you.

What about a cult? Should a cult have the freedom to indocrinate people and children through speech?

And how do "rights" come about? How can you prove that freedom of speech, or anything, grants us certain rights? Nothing, but nature, can grant us rights. A human concept like freedom of speech cannot.

I am not saying that we should completely oppress people's speech, but it would benefit us all if we have limits.

• No...When did that become an absolute virtue if at all?

Of course, whenever truth is spoken people will be offended because ideas do not exist in a vacuum - they exist in people's minds. We must be able to have discussion separating an idea and the person who holds it. When "offending" is the primary intention in a discussion then it is absolutely useless, you don't win over the person and it's akin to abuse (namecalling, irreverence etc.). Free speech is not absolute...That's always why there are hate laws!

• It's pretty obvious.

Imagine a parent tells his/her 6 year old child to go jump off a building because the child is annoying the parent for any reason. This child actually goes and does it, How useful is freedom of speech in this situation?
    What if a 40 year old man wants to verbally abuse a 10 year old girl, Who he sees in the subway, With sexual comments? Obviously the little girl might be offended, And even the people around to hear it might be offended. What use is freedom of speech here?

It's possible to say what you need without being rude and hateful Everyone has the right to voice their own opinion, But that does not mean that you need to use hate speech. You can politely and kindly say what you want, Without turning someone else down. If you wouldn't want someone turning down your idea, Don't turn down there's. T. H. I. N. K. Is what you're saying, True? Helpful? Inspiring? Necessary? Kind? If it doesn't fit into these categories, Then keep it to yourself. You don't need to use offensive language or words in order to get your point out. If you don't think that that is possible, Then you probably shouldn't say it. It all goes back to the simple Golden Rule: "Treat others how you want to be treated". There's another phrase that says "If you don't have anything nice to say, Don't say anything at all. " These may be simple rules and phrases, But they still hold true. It is possible to say what you need without being rude and hateful.

It doesn't justify You can't go around speaking badly about somebody's opinions or views and just call it freedom of speech. You belittle the other person and call it your right. You don't have the right to murder, You don't have the right to steal, Why should you have the right to harm somebody using words? It's just as bad.

• How can you say no to classroom bullies but say yes to adult bullies using politics to look down upon others?

This is absolute nonsense. Freedom of speech means expressing one's opinion, nowhere does it say you may also look down upon other fellow human beings and make them feel worthless while you try to spread your opinion. I can easily, and matter of fact anyone in this whole planet can offer or suggest or express their opinion without being a bully and insulting others.
    A bully may easily use social media or even in classroom use profanities and insults on other classmates but that somehow is not considered a freedom of speech, why shouldn't it be, cause he is just expressing his view that the other kid looks ugly, but its not ok because the child is left with emotional scars.And insecurities and its pure evil to make anyone go through something like that despite age, cast, religion, colour. Whether adult or child, opinions may be expressed truly matter when they benefit the society and not offend the other half by making things worse.

• It's possible to say what you need without being rude and hateful

Everyone has the right to voice their own opinion, but that does not mean that you need to use hate speech. You can politely and kindly say what you want, without turning someone else down. If you wouldn't want someone turning down your idea, don't turn down there's. T.H.I.N.K. Is what you're saying, True? Helpful? Inspiring? Necessary? Kind? If it doesn't fit into these categories, then keep it to yourself. You don't need to use offensive language or words in order to get your point out. If you don't think that that is possible, then you probably shouldn't say it. It all goes back to the simple Golden Rule: "Treat others how you want to be treated". There's another phrase that says "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." These may be simple rules and phrases, but they still hold true. It is possible to say what you need without being rude and hateful.

• It doesn't justify

You can't go around speaking badly about somebody's opinions or views and just call it freedom of speech. You belittle the other person and call it your right. You don't have the right to murder, you don't have the right to steal, why should you have the right to harm somebody using words? It's just as bad.

• My man left me

One night i was working late for the prez of da usa and dat man wanted to hit me up in his circle office thing, on dat wooden desk of his, where he made me film him and his hoe. He asked me because i was the only black maid there. And that offended me.
    And when i got home to my trailer. I caught my husband who is my 3rd cuz (he's not my 1st or 2nd so it's ight) and i caught him with his hand up my sisters clit. And that offended me. Because im half white and half black. Like im kinda a carmel not a piece of dark chocolate. And that offends me.

• Order of words matter.

Even though the yes side of this argument speaks sense, you have to remember that the way you express an opinion or view matters. If someone said "all Muslims are terrorists" this would offend all those who can prove that this statement or opinion is false. The way this is worded sounds like a fact and will therefore offend people. But if someone said "in my opinion, I feel that many Muslims are terrorists" this would cause less problems as it is obvious that it is an opinion. Therefore the person could calmly be reasoned with to change his / her opinion. Seeing as word order matters, it does not give us the right to offend someone especially not purposely. We should not abuse the fact that we have freedom of speech.

• Hate speech should not be apart of the free speech catogory.

Using hate speech again st other people can lead to self-harm and suicide. For example when you go up to a kid and tell them 3 simple words "I hate you" they take seriously. The phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" doesn't work in this generation because there are so many kids say mean words that really dig deep into peoples hearts.

• Offending the freedom

The right of having freedom of speech grants us liberty but not the right to hurt others by shouting racial slurs or homophobic comments to people who might be different than you or because you feel that you might just want to get some fun out of. Freedom of speech was given to us by our fore fathers not intended to be used for terrible comments