Does High School prepare you for the real world?

Asked by: Kitty.29
  • High School prepares for real life

Multipling, Reading and writting are necessary to live in a society. Foreign languages help everyone to communicate with people from different parts of the world. High School provides us with knowledge about how the goverment works, How the administration functions and how to pay the bills

• What's the difference.

Between the real world and the unreal world. We are born and we die and fill the days in between with all sorts of stuff and nonsense. We are consciously aware and we perceive what we perceive and what we perceive is real enough as long as we remain conscious. Where we are and what we do has no bearing on the reality of everything.

• It is what you make of it.

The 7 types of intelligence come to mind: Linguistic; Logical-Mathematical; Bodily-Kinesthetic; Spatial; Musical; Interpersonal; and Intrapersonal.

I believe at some level all schools aim to bring out the best in students in these areas. Students have some autonomy in choosing their course schedules (electives beyond the required courses). Nothing is perfect. And many times, There is a chasm between theory and practice.

The 'A' student may end up struggling in the real world after high school. The 'C' or below student may have more street smarts and do just fine outside the institutional walls. Who cares about electron configuration, Stoichiometry, Significant figures, APA formatting for a research paper, Haiku poetry, Stats and probabilities. . . Years after high school (unless you become a scientist/teacher/professor/accountant/bookie)?

The expectations you learn to follow within a classroom, The discipline, And the skills and structure learned to accomplish such objectives can help you in real life. Personal Finance is a very useful course. Learning a second or third language may end up being very useful. The world is a big place. High school is a place that can help you prepare for the rest of your life. But, It does take the commitment of the community, Administration, Teachers. . . And the student. . . To make it worthwhile and relevant.

Talk about real life? How about Health class and STDs? And how to reduce your chances of getting one or some?

If a student gets tired of conventional school, Why not go to the JVS (joint vocational skill)? I'm not talking about going to JVS just to mess around and pass the time. Get your hands-on experience in diesel tech, Cosmetology, Law enforcement, Culinary arts, Whatever it is that interests you. Or, Participate in extracurricular activities or clubs that interest you AND enrich your life and talents. FFA, 4-H, Debate, TLC, Academic Challenge, Sports, Model UN, The list goes on.

High school provides many options (some districts may offer many more options than others). If you don't want to learn in high school, And just barely get by to get that diploma, Well then, That diploma has less meaning and worth. All that paper means to you is a waste of time, 'playing the game' to get passing grades to get out of school to the real world.

I am not here to argue. I am new to this site. It is nice to see the different viewpoints. I am merely sharing my views and perception.

• High School doesn't prepare you for the real world.

I'm a junior in high school and I still don't know anything about a checkbook. I've been driving for 4 months now without knowing anything about car insurance, My parents had to tell me what it is and was baffled when I asked them. We should learn how to get a job, How to make your application look good. We need to have a separate class that teaches us these things and has to be a requirement in order to graduate. This "Life" class would be so much easier for us in the real world.

• School is just a waste of seven priceless talk.

I am a sophomore (10th grade) in High School.
    My mandatory classes are math, Science, History and English
    my other classes are ac lab mind skills and band*
    I hate essays and will never use them for a future job
    (fishing).
    Math is as easy as + - x / Add Subtract Multiply and Divide.
    Learned in elementary. Plus we have phones to do the other math.
    I have no real education of how to save enough money to buy a house of a car or what tax is or financing is not even how to get a loan.
    I have no money and have payments to make school. HOW DO I PAY FOR THIS? !
    I HOPE I CAN LIVE.
    *(mind skills and band) I like these classes

• No, It really doesn't

High school teaches very few life skills, And rather a lot of theory you probably will not use in life unless you become a historian, An architect or a mathematician. High school should teach more hands on and real life situations to actually prepare people for the future if they really want students to be prepared in life.

• Add more required classes.

High School, And school in general, Is intended to do just that, Prepare you for life after school, In the real world. In the distant past, What the schools did not cover, The parents did as they had more time to teach basic household and other skills. Today, Things are much different. Now, Both parents, When both are available, Need to work and sometime multiple jobs. This leaves gaps in what a child should know by the time they graduate. Thing is, This can be easily corrected.
    Back when I was in school, And girls still wanted to be housewives, Schools offered what was called home ec. , At least that's what my school called it. Basically, It was classes focused around cooking, Sewing, And other typical housewife tasks. Not surprising, The vast majority of students where female. What we could do is make these classes mandatory. Maybe not so much with sewing but defiantly cooking. You would also want to add parts with minor DIY home and auto repair, Finances such as how to balance accounts and make a budget. Basically, We could require kids to take classes to fill in for things the parents don't have time to teach them.
    Some things are not so easily fixed, But that I can leave for another time. It's already becoming an essay. Lol

• No it doesn't

I agree. The issue is that they do not prepare you for the real world. Most people coming out of high school didn't know anything about credit cards, Bills, Credit score, Etc. Although, I see how perhaps an argument could be made that your parents should be teaching you these things.

Beyond bills and credit, Though, High school still just doesn't really matter. I nearly flunked out of high school (had about a 2. 1 GPA). I got my crap together and went to community college for my AA and came out on presidents list every semester and got my degree with a 4. 0 GPA. This new GPA allowed me to get into one of the top rated private liberal arts colleges for my bachelors on a full ride, And then allowed me to go on to get my master's degree from one of the top colleges in the respective field in the USA.

And this was NO thanks to high school, Because my GPA showed how little I cared. The social aspect doesn't help that much with high school either. The social crap that goes on in high schools is honestly far removed from the real world. No one in a career acts like any of those cool kid baboons. So even the social lessons that people rave about school are just okay, Nothing that great.

• High school does not prepare for the real world

High schools often talk about college this, College that, You have to go to college. They always talk about preparing you for life and college but they never actually do. The should be teaching how to use a credit card smartly, And doing taxes and teach us the math we will actually use in life. Teach us stuff like how to avoid bad interest rates and how to pick a good health insurance. They teach this in college but not every body goes to college and these are things every one needs to know.

• No, No, No

Yes, Because we live in a society jk
    No, Because we are not being teached survival skills, Instead, They teach useless lessons except kindness and basic math. Learning survival skills means you are prepared for the real world. Also, As a student who get high grades, Gpa's don't really matter.

• How is this an argument?

Most people that even think about saying yes to this are out of their mind. I graduated last year and I'm now in college and learning for the first time about bills, Mortgages, House payments, Bills, How to cook, How to fill a tire. All of it is a bunch of BULLSHIT

• School trains kids to be subservient to bad conditions, To be in need of constant direction, And to be pretty incompetent in general.

Kids hate school for a variety of reasons from bullies to being forced to constantly work to being completely controlled, Etc. School usurps democracy and goes with a more authoritarian model that gives students no power over their own situation. In the current system, It can be hard for adults to know who is right when a complaint is made. Because of this lack of reliability and the system, It creates an environment where the most intimidating students who can manipulate adults rise to the top. Letting adults have all the power when it comes to punishments also creates a student vs adult kind of dynamic, Which can be seen clearly. This creates resentment for authority, And trains people to be subservient to authority since the students have no voice, And creates a competitive social environment that is not good life philosophy, Not to mention detrimental to student mental health. Democratic schools, In which the students are given power over themselves, The trials, The punishments, And the rules of the school do not have this problem.

The idea that people need to be taught how to be human should be offensive to the human species. In school, Free play is seen as wasted time while work is held to great importance. Free play is the way people explore their passions, Learn, And also how people learn to deal with challenges faced in life.

Several apparently forgotten experiments and trials have proven alternate methods of

• High school is a small, Warm bubble in a much larger, Colder world.

Students need to realize that doing well in life is more than just being a 4. 0 GPA student and the lead player of their school's varsity soccer team.

Just to name a few examples, In the outside world, There is no lunch lady waiting to serve you lunch, Nor are there any nurses on standby just in case you fell down some stairs or injure yourself. One needs the courage and independence to do those things themselves, Whilst also being able to juggle their work with their family, Friends, Bills, And other personal expenses. In high school, One has everything taken care of by the school or their parents, Whereas one is alone in the real world.