• Politics have become very personal.

I am a young person who is always pressured to "pick a side" in politics, and one of the many reasons why I cannot is because of how personal and complicated politics have become for us. Take any major political issue, whether that be same-sex marriage, abortion, capitalism, etc. and you will always find people who have arguments and blindly support one side of the issue based on their personal views and lives. Do you really think that same-sex marriage would have been such a divisive issue if religion wasn't used as an argument? Do you think that we would be so angry at capitalism if it we didn't hate it purely based on our financial struggles? Do you really think that gun control would be such a problem if it weren't for the many conflicting personal beliefs?
    We take politics very seriously, and that's not wrong. But sometimes, we take them too seriously, too personally, instead of focusing on the objectives. That creates hatred in us, because if we see something that we do not agree with, we automatically disprove and disparage the topic/issue/person. For instance, take a look at any video on Instagram that features a young gay boy dressing up as a girl, and I guarantee that the comment section of that video will be filled with homophobia and endless, often unsubstantial arguments.
    As someone who was raised in a quite conservative, traditionalist immigrant family, I often find that my political views differ a lot from my parents. We have had many fights over this, because politics are a very personal thing for just about anyone. I've been called a 'filthy feminist', a fag, among many other things, just because I did not agree with someone else's point of view. But, I can honestly say that I have learned to look at issues from every perspective - and that's why I cannot "pick a side", because I know that there is no right or wrong opinion or belief. I identify as someone who wants balance and proper communication to eliminate division in politics - I just don't know what to call myself.
    I've seen how divisive politics can be, and I know that they ignite hatred in us. It is up to us to change that.

• Of course it does

I always see people hate each other over politics. I see conservatives hate socialists, marxists, etc. and hate liberals. I see conservatives insult or make fun of the Parkland students who support gun control. I see liberals call people bigots all the time. Liberals will view you as xenophobic, heartless or racist if you oppose DACA. They'll call you Islamophobic if you agree with Trump's travel ban. They'll call you a homophobe/bigot if you oppose the legalization of same-sex marriage. They will call you sexist for being pro-life. They will call you a bigot for being pro-Trump. etc. etc. if you go to other parts of the world like Africa or the middle east, etc. people there will have views that are never tolerated in America. I think political views that are considered "bigotry" or "cruel" are part of the nature of politics. Nobody's perfect. So stop hating people for their political views. No excuses allowed. Even the "we don't tolerate intolerance/bigotry" BS is never an excuse. Sure if they are pro-Nazi, believe women are only sex objects, insult or attack homosexuals, support the KKK, etc. then you can judge them but those people are at the very extreme. Besides, bigotry, racism, homophobia, sexism, etc. are spectrums. Saying someone is full of bigotry/evil because of one thing about them is like saying the glass is full of water just because there's a tiny bit of water in the glass.

• No, intolerance and the media does.

Politics is not like science, since there isn't any definitively correct answer to how a government should be run; only trial and error. Differing opinions on politics are healthy because it allows people to voice what they agree and disagree with and a debate can open up from there. I have many friends who are Republican and many friends who are Democrat and we all get along fine, even though we sometimes disagree.

The problem is, with social media, biased news networks, and insane amounts of misinformation throughout the internet, we have become isolated. We no longer have to tolerate other people's opinions. We get to see the sides of the argument that we want to see and tune out the rest. We get exposed to bias in the media content we watch that subtly tells how we are supposed to think.

Division between the parties has been growing for several years now and we are each becoming more isolated from each other and less tolerant of differing political views.

This is not a problem that we will fix as a society. There is too much division for that. The only way to fix this problem, is to look inward. Learn to find common ground with people and be prepared to just accept you will never agree on a topic.

• Only if we let it.

You know what I've learned? Its not about hating the guy on the other side because someone told you to. You should hate someone because they're an asshole, or a pervert, or snob, or they're lazy, or arrogant or an idiot or know-it-all. Those are reasons to dislike somebody. You don't hate a person because someone told you to. You have to learn to despise people on a personal level. Not because they're Red, or because they're Blue, but because you know them, and you see them every single day, and you can't stand them because they're a complete and total fucking douchebag. -Church RVB He says it best.

>