• Rape culture exists but not the way feminists view it as

Feminists are part of rape culture. Rape culture is anything that allows, normalizes or enables the practice of rape. Rape culture isn't some prevalent thing that is strong in modernized societies or even some common that happens. Feminists make rape culture out to be some giant system where all these people just let rape happen and don't care. Feminists are part of rape culture because they don't care about rape against males or third genders and they say "men can't get raped". Rape culture is like feminists saying "men can't get raped" or feminists allowing female rapists to get away with rape and do NO or very little time at all compared to males that do YEARS. We live in a rape culture that allows rape and sexual violence against men, not women. There are those disgusting people that believe rape is okay (regardless of whose getting assaulted) but that's not a culture. It's not large enough to be a culture when consistent and reliable statistics of rape & sexual violence keep saying that sexual violence & rape is decreasing and cut in half in over a decade. No, having a lawyer defend a rapist is not rape culture, that's their right; you can't say somebody is a rapist just because somebody else said they were. They have a right to defend themselves. So the only REAL rape culture left is feminism. I don't think a pop artist making sexists songs about women "wanting" rape is rape culture when he PURPOSELY did the song to piss off feminists. Rape condoning memes aren't rape culture, they're stupid and immature 12 year olds who don't care. The only type of "rape culture" that really exists is two places; within feminism & within the GOP (Republican Party of U.S).

• There is a rape reference, in a positive and/or uncaring light, in all forms of media, and rampantly.

I am not a feminist by any means, but it seems clear to me that people are desensitized by rape. Just watch 30 seconds of any of the most popular shows among young people. They dont just humorize rape, they insult and disrespect the victims and delight in their pain. The argument in the photograph speaks for itself.

• Rape culture is not just on the part of the rapist.

Rape culture is when you blame the VICTIM of rape instead of the perpetrator. Rape culture is telling a victim that they shouldn't have worn such revealing clothing or that they should have been carrying pepper spray. That is what rape culture is and you'd be surprised how common this is today.

• Coming from a 17 year old girl

When I first decided I was a feminist because I wanted men and women to have equal rights, I found it incredibly difficult to organise my thoughts on the matter and take a reasoned argument because at every turn there were blockades of argument against me. It was like trying to talk to an evangelical creationist. The more I surrounded myself with feminist thinkers, reading Plath and Germaine Greer, the more I was able to order my thoughts. I realised that not only was the patriarchy repressing my ability to think coherently on the matter, but it was also telling me that there was no matter. I believed this for three years. For the two years after I lost my virginity to my rapist, I believed that it was my fault. I wasn't even drunk. I wasn't even wearing skimpy clothing. I didn't even flirt. I was 15 and the fact that I had to clarify my level of sobriety and attire and personal interest shows that this is a problem.
    It's hard to notice these things when you don't have to think about them. The normalisation of forcing someone to have sex with you is what causes people, not just women, to believe that their sufferings are not the fault of someone else but the result of them not taking enough precautions to prevent their own rape.
    The fact that people ask what someone was wearing when they got raped implies that the human form in itself is deserving of rape. "It was kind of your fault though, you were wearing a skin tight vest" that kind of statement shows that the more of your body is shown, the more deserving of rape you are. My body is just a body. My body doesn't equate to sex. This is what I didn't understand. I sure as hell understand it now though.

• Rape culture is real

I know rape culture exist based on the fact that when i finally spoke out about my brothers sexual abuse after years of keeping quiet and being afraid i was proven right to fear. I was asked if it was rape and if i hadnt just sedu ed him and felt guilty i was called a lair and a whore by my own family while he was given support and promised they would prove me wrong. No maybe i do t have a buncb of political reasons or research to prove my point but i do hace my personal experience and it was all blamed on me. I was 12 the first time he raped me but it was my fault.

• Absolutely. Anyone Who Says Differently is Ignorant

Of course rape culture is real. There is an overwhelming number of people who are sexually assaulted every single day. The problem is that those victims are shamed into staying quiet. An excellent example would be this very poll. Only 30% are able to admit that this world has a very, very serious problem with sexual abuse. If you were a rape victim, would you feel brave enough to speak up? We live in a world that hates women. Therefore, we are unable to face the issues that primarily concern them. We also have difficulty with male rape because it socially emasculates the male victim. Those who feel that this nation does not have a rape culture are true victims of the society in which we live.

• It exists but I don't think we live in it anymore

Rape is considered to be the most heinous crime one can commit aside from murder. Rapists are shunned and people are fired from their jobs for even being suspected of rape. We live on a country where Rape is very much not OK. So I don't think you can say we do live inna rape culture when basically everyone universally agrees it is a terrible crime that needs to be stopped. I think we did live in a rape culture in the past. Where it wasn't considered odd to get a woman drunk and have sex with them or to force yourself on the wife. But I don't think we live in that world anymore. There will always be rape and rapists just like there will always be murder and murderers. I think that as long as we have a society that stands together against rape I don't think you can say we live in a rape culture currently.

• Rape culture is subtle

It's not people blatantly saying "hey guys, you should rape people!" It's the song and music video for "Blurred Lines". It's people not understanding consent and setting boundaries. It's schools not harshly punishing or ignoring sexual assault and rape because they don't want to punish the star athlete. It's victim blaming.

• Yes it is real

Rape culture is something that has been in the news, online, and in the media pretty regularly lately, but what is rape culture? In order to understand it we first have to define it. When you think of culture, what do you picture in your mind? For most of us it is a group of people or a society. That is not what a culture is. Culture is defined by Merriam-Webster as, “The act of developing the intellectual and moral faculties especially by education.” That means that culture is a learned set of behaviors. As a matter of fact, the process by which children learn how to behave within a society is called enculturation (Ferraro, Andreatta 425). When you pair the word “culture” with another word like “rape”, the connotations are horrendous. Rape has been defined as, “Unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against the will usually of a female or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent.” (Merriam-Webster) “Rape Culture” means we have learned to accept rape as part of our culture. We have learned to brush it aside, and often times blame the victim for the attack. The fact of it is that the victim is never asking for it."
    Society teaches "Don't get raped instead of don't rape"
    Victim blaming is rape culture, "Your skirt was too short. You were asking for it." or "How drunk were you? You were flirting"

• Consent Consent Consent

I believe that the fact that consent is still argued about means that rape culture exists. Although I can see why people may disagree due to the fact that media is used as a large part and people have the free will to ignore the media promoting lack of consent in some situations e.g. fifty shades of grey or blurred lines.
    A third of people believe women who flirt are partially responsible for being raped (Amnesty, 2005). This, in my opinion is not okay although some people may think that it is. That is why I think that rape culture cannot be thrown out as not existing.

• Rape culture is only a thing among rapists.

I do not believe that the country is becoming desensitized to rape and it is being glorified the way the the majority of feminists etc describe. Men who make jokes regarding the subject does in no way signify that they support rape, similar to how people who joke about any other touchy subjects doesn't mean they are bad people. I find the rape culture argument as another excuse for angry radical feminists to attack men.

• Opposite of that

Rapper Rick Ross published more straight albums about running an illegal drug and prostitution ring in LA, torturing rival gang members, killing cops, and blowing people's heads off with assault rifles. Last year, he made one reference to rape, and he was all over the news, and his endorsers dropped him. In a society where rape rates have halved over the last decade, and a rape joke is considered more offensive than a Holocaust joke, no, there is no rape culture.

• Not in the uk(western world that i know)

At least nothing ive seen here in the UK. We arenty taught "not to get raped" we are taught what is legaly rape and that if you rape someone you will be punished. I have never witnessed any point were men have been told that rape is good that you will be rewarded by people in there comunity. The only time I have witnessed a reward for raping is for women sexually assulating men and the victim (a man) being told that since he is a man it can not be real rape

• Not A Culture

For it to be a culture someone would need to prove without a doubt that every one does it. Sure men are biologically more violent, its a genetic need, men don't learn to become more violent there isn't really much difference between nature and nurture, it's all nature. But these rapes are committed by a small number of society and most are repeating offenders or mentally ill. And the ones that don't fall under those categories are usually intoxicated while committing the rape.

• Rape culture does not exist

Rape culture does not exist. Its ironic that concepts like this are perpetuated in countries like the united states where the standard of living is so high and comfortable. Try living in a 3rd world country or a country thats at war with opposing soldiers at the front like, then come tell us what rape culture is like.

• When examining the definition of culture, it's easy to see that "rape culture" does not accurately describe our society.

Look up the definition of "culture" online or in any dictionary... The definition slightly varies between each source, but you will more or less read something along the lines of it being "the culmination or summation of customs, beliefs, attitudes, knowledge, etc that is relayed via language and art by a given group of peoples, and distinguishes one group or society from another."

For our society to be a "rape culture," we would have to universally accept rape as a permissible act in all aspects of our society, from our beliefs (religious organizations, law) to our knowledge (medicine) and any aspect of society that falls in between. Now, the terms I put in parentheses are used as reference point in this discussion because they deal with or have made some stance regarding the acceptance of rape. There are no religions, laws or legal professionals, and medical evidence or doctors that support the action of rape. It is condoned as a sin or some form of evil in all religions. You are persecuted by the court and will be sent to prison if you are found guilty of rape. Medical evidence supports that rape is extremely detrimental psychologically and physically to the victim, and is therefore reported by doctors to the authorities at the consent of the patient.]

Now, do people get away with rape? Yes. Do people sometimes make jokes about rape? Yes. I could go on and on with these hypotheticals that shed light on instances where rape appears to be accepted. But as a whole, as a society, rape is condemned in SO MANY more significant aspects than it is "accepted." As human societies have evolved and advanced, becoming more civilized, we have only been progressing further and further AWAY from rape culture.

So to all you feminazis living in the plush, first-world, Western civilizations crying out "rape culture," try living in Rwanda or any African country dealing with civil war and genocide. Go see what real rape culture then maybe you'll finally shut the f@#% up... Cuz believe me, everyone is tired of your bulls*%&

• General opinion condems rape

So, no, there's no rape culture. Easy like that. Everyone is like "rape culture is this, rape culture is that" putting things that are not rape, trying to broad the definition of rape to other things less worse than rape, while trying to mantain the real "weight" of the old meaning. Only causes to trivalize real rape and their victims. Is just a buzz word with a relative vague meaning used for lazely describe and put some negative connotation tosome cultural attitudes or mating behavior or roles between the sexes that feminist dont like, wheter it is directly tied to sexual agressiveness or rape or nothing at all. Not an english native speaker so excuse me for any mistake.

• Not in the way the definition is typically represented.

Rape culture:

A concept which links rape and sexual violence to the culture of a society, and in which prevalent attitudes and practices normalize, excuse, tolerate, and even condone rape.

We, as a nation, do not tolerate or condone rape any more than we tolerate murder, arson, robberies, or child abuse.

Often times I read messages similar to the picture above that say things to the effect of "they should have taught the rapist to not rape".

This statement is incredibly backwards in preventing the issue from reoccurring. To suggest that we could have prevented a criminal from committing a crime had we only informed him it was wrong is not only futile, it's downright stupid.

I would never BLAME a women for getting raped, ever. That's idiotic and she's the victim and deserves all the positive and constructive attention one can receive. But to suggest a women shouldn't lock her doors at night, or walk down the street alone at 2 AM from the bar simply because we're "encouraging rape" is just as idiotic as saying "she shouldn't have dressed like that".

The world is filled with sexist fools who view women as lesser than men, and while we may minimize the occurrences, we won't stop all violent crimes in the foreseeable future.

*Everyone* must be personally responsible and pay attention to the world around you. There are evil people that will hurt you just to please themselves.

When the inevitable happens and someone is violated in such an intimate way, instead of forcing your guilt or anger onto the victim, look at ways to help that person heal, and to prevent such things from happening in the future.

To do anything else is resistant to progress, and only tension will arise from it.

• Rape culture is a joke.

The definition of rape culture is "a society or environment whose prevailing social attitudes have the effect of normalizing or trivializing sexual assault and abuse. " we the American people are in no way shape or from normalizing rape. Additionally, Rape has been the lowest its even been in U. S history, And if 1 in 5 women get raped in collage then why aren't there measures taken to prevent this. Finally, The maximum jail time for rape is 25 years in federal prison. If you all what a rape culture go to the Congo where they use it as means of war.

>