• Yeah, a lot of useless things.

The average person will never use 90% of the things they're taught in high school classes. The educational system really needs to rethink the kind of classes it makes mandatory. Far too many classes are completely inapplicable to life in the real world. Alternative education, like tech ed, is usually worth it.

• School does teach useless things!

I think that middle and high school teach useless things that we aren't going to use in real life! Why we need to learn about the square roots and physics? How do we use it? Nothing! School should really teach us real life stuff because their parents don't know real life stuff from school!

• Why do we have to know this crap

It's so stupid. Most of the things we learn at useless.

For math we have a calculator. The teachers keep saying you don't always have one. Then I will carry multiple around like I do with credit cards or use my phone. They ask what if you don't have any. This is 2018 not 1940. I'll never use algebra in my life and even if I do, I will look it up not waste time. I hate it when teachers say to show your work when I can do it in my head. I hate it when math problems say to "explain".

For English, I already know the language. They teach poetry I(its cool but I hate being forced to write in it), cursive (I hate it), and acrostics (they're cool but school is for education). I will never even write in cursive when signing my checks. They only taught spelling in grades K-3, but you can just spell check it. We also learn vocab words we never use in conversations such as anthema.

History too. Why do we have to know this crap? We live in the present not the past. I don't care about what it was like during the 1920s. I only use history to argue about presidents, but I don't wanna be tested on my history knowledge (or tested on school crap at all).

Geography as well. I have a globe I don't need this class. We had to recite all states and capitals which is useless (my mom says it helps for travel but first of all I hate travel so I'll never use it and second of all I will use a map or use google maps on my phone I don't need to remember it). I don't care about what the capital of Alabama is. I don't care about how people live in Uganda.

Music too. It sucks. We have to know about stupid beats which isn't fun to think about when listening to a good heavy metal song. In elementary school, we had to play hot cross buns and other songs on the recorder. We also were forced to do dumb school performances. We also learn random history facts about dead musicians like Beethoven.

Science also is useless. Unless you wanna become a scientist, we don't need to know that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell. We did useless science things as kids in elementary school such as how to drop an egg from a building without breaking it, how to make a potato battery, how to make a volcano, how to make a tornado in a soda bottle, how to make a styrofoam solar system (I made sure to go back to the garage and remove pluto from it since its not a planet anymore), ect. There's 2 that suck. 1 is how to dissect a frog because I like frogs and its sad to see their lives getting ruined just to teach kids a useless thing.

• What use does the majority of the topics serve you in the real world?

There are plenty of people who do well in school yet they seem to fail at life. Why is this? I believe that it's because school doesn't really teach us how to live in the real world. They teach us Algebra and Geometry yet neglect teaching us how to pay taxes.

• When will we ever use stats/statistics or algebra in real life situations; NEVER!

Scenario:
    Boss: Hey employee, tell me what 5x-4 if it equals 6
    Employee: Um...Ok?
    Boss: Just kidding what a fucking nerd, you actually tried using algebra in a real life situation.
    Employee: God I knew I should of hung out with the "cool" kids more...
    Boss: Stop regretting life decisions and get back to work, you nerd!
    Employee: Yes sir...

• Subject by subject breakdown of school

Note: I live in Canada, so the subject names are somewhat different.
    Language Arts (English): While I love having reading blocks, and I love writing, I don't see how much of anything we learn is useful, except learning to express your opinions.
    Math: It really depends. Like calculating percents is useful for sales and stuff, but what is the point of converting fractions to percents? Focus more on the useful stuff, and leave the algebra for college.
    Science: Come on, why do I need to know that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell? Or how to calculate water density? Seriously. I don't think this is even a necessary class. Like, knowing how things like cells, sound and light is cool and all, but not necessary for functioning on the real world.
    Social studies (History): OK, I find it interesting, but I don't see how knowing that the Renaissance was a time when science gained a hold in Europe. "Those who don't know the past are doomed to repeat it," you say? Doesn't seem to be helping much in America, is it? Discuss current events. That's a much more relevant and interesting way to keep kids from turning into neo nazis.
    French: Honestly a terrible way of teaching another language. In elementary school, we had the class learning. My current teacher (I'm in Grade 8 btw) just gives us Chromebooks and tells us to log onto Memrise. I've learnt more French in the past 4 months or so of school this year than in grades 4-7 combined.
    Conclusion:
    Dear school: Please interview actual adults, ask what they use in their day to day lives. Adjust curriculum accordingly.
    Sincerely, a teen

• Breakdown of school, subject by subject

Conclusion:
    Sincerely, a teen

• Education Needs Justification

I am a hopeful medical student and before I get anywhere near medicine I nust first pass a premedical chemistry course.

I plan to work as a GP or general hospital doctor. One thing that has my teeth grinding in preparing for chemistry is balancing chemical equations.

Before I explain my gripe, I will defend school education from one perspective.

Exposing students to a variety of subjects gives them insights into different areas of learning that they need to experience in order to determine for themselves whether they like and wish to pursue that area.

Anyway, back to chemistry. I am not interested in balancing chemical equations, there are literally no reasons to leaen how to, it is irrelevant to my chosen career path, and has no application in my personal life, or any other aspect of my life for that matter.

But some beaurocraric shithead declared that I must waste my brainpower on this garbage. But that very same shithead cannot justify the 'need' for this nonsense - other than by saying that if you need it for your career then you need it, which isnt only a tautology but it wouldnt address my point.

I will never need this crap. I find it ironic that once we have been exposed to this tripe and determined within reason that we will never need it, and dont want to waste time learning this garbage, it then becomes ironic that the people forcing it on us are desperately in need of education to recognise the futility of this.

• School has nothing to do with real life.

I kept on asking my teachers, "How is this lesson applicable in the real life?" I honestly heard this, "You know, you will be holding calculator when you try to calculate something. But, what if you don't have your calculator and you have your pen and paper only? At least, this is the reason why we are learning this topic. Just in case you don't have your calculator, you can still succeed." But, you know, we nowadays have cellphones in our pockets, so what's the point? Also, you don't have to memorise the periodic table because real chemists just display the periodic table on the wall and just refer to it back and forth. Literature, what's the point of learning it? We don't even need Shakespeare and poetry in our lives. For history, we don't need to know what happened in the past. There are no real life jobs that use algebra, calculus, trigonometry, chemistry, literature and history. They are just so damn useless

• General Dumb Junk in Schools

I am in 9th grade High School right now and I have to learn 30 people for a quiz. I have to know the date of birth, date of death, what they did and why they did it. Now, where and when is someone going to ask me, "What did Galen of Pergamum do and when was his birthday? If you get this wrong you are fired." This kind of junk isn't just for history. Biology, I could be learning how our body works so I can manage my health, but instead, there is frog dissection and other junk. Algebra, do I really need to know that the commutative property of addition tells me that 2+1 is the same thing as 1+2? I think a turtle could figure that out. English, I have to read Great Expectations and waste an entire marking period just on that. Instead, I could be learning how to improve my essay writing abilities for job applications and cover letters.

• NO NO NO they don't even though they hold your dreams it makes them bigger you get more options.

Even though kids hate school you have to go to school so you can get a job you know your not a kid forever you need to go to collage youtube and drawings don't get you into collage or get you a job school gets you a job i hate school but it will help me get a job and get to collage not being a school drop out just to have my dream of being a youtuber.No school does not teach useless things.

• Schools DO Teach Useful Things.

When you go to school thinking you are going to learn nothing that day, think again! Why would you or your parents be paying for this school if you weren't going to need the knowledge?
    Even if your just an artist you still need to know multiplication and division to buy your supplies. And in any life, you might leave your phone at home and you need to count money. What are you going to do? Ask a stranger to do dimensional multiplication for you? And what about spelling? You need to write a report for work by hand for a meeting tomorrow. What are you going to do? Ask your husband, wife or friend to check your spelling?
    Schools teach useful things and even fun things, like maybe acting or sports.

• Nope not a bit

School teaches u all they think is important for your future. Life has twists and turns. U might think art is stupid but think. If u rgood at art and u didnt get the job u wanted then u can start doing the art work and earn some money !!!

• On the other hand. . .

I have posted my argument on why school teaches useless things, And I still stick by my statement. However, In order to get the full picture, One must play the Devil's Advocate as well. The education system, While flawed, Does indeed provide useful information. Now, That doesn't mean that everything they teach will be used in life; the average person isn't going to remember the quadratic formula, Or why the English sentence structure contains accusatives and nominatives. However, Many had found their calling in school, Such as a science experiment that piqued the interest of someone, Or a teacher that inspired another to do the same. Again, That doesn't mean everyone is going to have the same experience, School is different for everyone. For some, School does teach useless things; but the claim it's teachings are not completely useless cannot be denied.

• What does school do?

All it does is teach us useless things and brainwashing us. We need to learn how to pay taxes or protect ourselves in a murder situation. But we could keep health and pe because we need to learn physical mental and emotional health because someday we will we have stress and all that. But we don’t need to learn what the cytoplasm is or mitosis is.

• Perfectly Fine Education

I am now graduating my high school in 6 months and everything that I have learned has helped me get on to the next stage in classes. If someone were to pick classes based off of what their career will be. Not one class should be useless to them, but it's understandable that the road worker or minimal wage worker doesn't like math and disagrees. I am sure there are people who work those jobs that loved math but failed in English or one of the 4 year credited classes for high school. Highschool has taught me the beginnings of how to read music and allows me to now play piece's by Chopin on the piano because I kept at the instrument for years. Each year of math that I had gone over has helped me get to the point of being able to pass my physics class. The history classes that many people do agree against in it not being useful has helped me in my passion of World War Two. As well as the two foreign language classes that will help me communicate with the world.

Some classes in school can be considered useless by certain people while others would disagree. Arts classes fall victim to this often because of the people who just don't want to contribute to it commonly doesn't care for the budget or happiness it provides. Challenge me if you want on that but have you seen a guy wearing long socks and Jordan's, with Beat's head phones around their neck care about how to draw a photo-realistic sketch.

• They're applicable concepts

The knowledge used in physics isn't necessarily pertained to physics alone, but rather applicable life concepts on how to test things you are curious about and wondering why your friend broke his leg when falling from the tree; when you fell thousands of times without a broken bone.

The logic of math and science are good for observations, you may not know it, but in the long run this knowledge of square roots and physical sciences will apply to everyday thinking when it's not even related.

>