• Tough love has a place in friendships and romantic relationships.

Tough love has a place in friendships and romantic relationships. It is a way of establishing boundaries in the relationship. It is a way of saying that I love you but I cannot continue to be a part of what you are doing. Tough love is used for out of control behavior such as drug abuse. It is not used as a way of manipulating someone's behavior.

• Yes, it is needed

Tough love is necessary in all friendships and romantic relationships. If you really care about someone you will be willing to tell them things they do not want to hear if it will benefit them in the long run. Not telling them the truth is worse because you are allowing them to hurt themselves.

• Yes, sometimes it's the only way

My first inclination was to say no, but I do believe that tough love has a place in friendships. Sometimes your friends can be in denial about something and they really do need a slap in the face (metaphorically, not literally) to bring them back to reality. I wouldn't say the same for romantic relationships, though. You have to be gentler with lovers.

• Yes, I think tough love has a place in friendships or romantic relationships.

In both a friendship and romantic relationship you have someone in your life that you care about and it pains you to see them acting in a way that is self destructive, I think sometime the only way to get to a person is if their partner or friend directly lays it out on the table that there is a problem.

• Tough love is an oxymoron

Unless you're dealing with someone self-destructive (an active alcoholic) or harmful to other people (a stingy tipper), I don't think shoving someone's face in their failures or shortcomings is a way to win friends or influence people. Most people know if they are not making headway with a personal problem, Or are talking about it too much. I ended a friendship because at a time when I was feeling lonely and unhappy (I am recently widowed, And well - the pandemic) she said you haven't really moved on, Have you? Like - no thanks. If you think that's how you get someone to "move on", You need to do some serious soul searching.

• Tough love ends friendships

The friend who is stone walled by "tough love" will usually just walk away from the relationship from feeling rejected. I mean someone being ignored will send a message of rejection. What kind of message does "tough love" really send someone? Maybe in families tough love will work and the family members reunite at a later time. But for friends......I don't think so.