• Yes, there is too much censorship and control over speech.

One cannot use the pretense of freedom of thought if inquiry is not permissible.

And further, there exists no intellectual honesty without the right to dissent.

People should be able to say what they want even if you don't like it. People are entitled to any opinion, even the "wrong" opinion. It's true that some people are hateful, but even if I don't like it I don't have a right to control them.

But what's worse, good people are silenced. Brilliant people are silenced. Too many people are silenced because their words challenge others and that is inconvenient for them. Freedom of speech matters more than someone's hurt feelings.

• E x a c t l y

It seems as though a great many political groups on both sides of the spectrum- the right wing christian kooks (like Rick Santorum), the left wing feminists (like Dianne Feinstein)- seem to support the notion of "Your rights end where my feelings begin". That sort of thinking s dangerous, and putting people who hold those views in public office is a good way to destroy democracy.

• Yes it really has.

When I think of how politicians and other public speakers talk today when they have something to say, it really does drive home the point that we as a society in general have become far too politically correct. We can no longer speak our minds in plain terms any more.

• Loss of freedoms.

Back in the times of our grandparents, they had the freedom of speech. Somewhere since then we have lost our fundamental right to freedom of speech. People are unable to express their thoughts and feelings because they do not want to offend others. Instead of calling our mail delivery person a postman, we now have to call them our post person. This is so that if a woman does the job, she does not get offended. I am a woman and do not get offended if someone says "hey dude" when speaking to me. People need to lighten up a little bit more and focus on much more pressing issues than what is politically correct or not.

• YES - Oh yes.

I am always trying to speak my views on facebook, not to convince people that I am right, but to make people realize there are more than just 2 options! I get hateful comments from people calling me an idiot who are actually being hypocrites themselves in multiple ways. They have admitted they are sociallists to me and they support global health care and wage balancing ect. They believe in BIG government and they believe almost everything they read and see on tv it seems like. I feel like with every other person I talk to I have to explain things as if I was talking to a child. Continually having to repeat the same points in different ways, explain basic ideas in great detail, correct grammar and misspellings, also misuse of words. I'm not saying that my grammar is perfect, but when someone is using text speak, I feel they don't know how to spell. I even had a few people spell my name wrong continuously. Even though it's written by every comment. I'd really like to leave the US..

• Fear of reprisal stifles debate.

In our society today, good people with differing views are not expressing themselves for fear of being called out as racist, bigoted or unintelligent. If people would return to logic based discussion, rather than insults and name calling based on ones views, perhaps we could return to a functioning system, both politically and socially.

• The insignificant has become more important than the important.

PC behaviour has infiltrated areas of life it has no place. Crime prevention is vital to society & requires a firm hand by Police & Courts.
    Instead we focus on combating attitudes that are considered non-PC on racism, At risk on failing to combat out of control child sex abuse, Street stabbings, Drug gangs & other issues that truly damage our society irreparably.

• Sadly, I believe so.

Everytime I say even the tiniest thing about me, a favorite color for example, almost everyone in the room looks appalled, upset, or scared. I am usually indifferent and don't feel the need to act or put up a smile or try to make every single person I see feel like a king or queen...And somehow this appalls them. Upsets them.

The other day, I met a guy named...Let's call him Polo, and I said it was nice to meet him, and asked my friend what icecream he liked, (We went to DairyQueen) and....They just stare at me with wide eyes. Annnnd Polo starts crying.

I'm sitting here, confused as hell, and my friend just gives me this dirty look, like I just caused the end of the world.

Turns out he was transgender and allergic to dairy products because his friend was allergic...

I sent him (Unintentionally) home crying harder after asking him why he didn't say anything, and he should've told me.

He hadn't come out of the closet.

I then asked him why he got upset when I didn't know and am not a mind reader.

He never spoke to me again, sadly.

My friend apologized, but she didn't really seem sorry...She seemed hurt.

I'm just really exhausted and confused with all this...

I know many similar or just like Polo.

I believe our society is getting too sensitive...

• No serious debate

The issue of peoples inability to separate fact from opinion now rules our society, We as humans generaly lack the ability to remain factual if we did religion and spirituality would be gone for one thing. With ever increasing issues to tackle health and enviroment wise it's now a time to discuss humanities population issues BUT NOO we cant discuss these issues.

• Everyone is Wrong

Yes, even I'm wrong. But I also deserve a say that I think is rather important.

Friendships are built on being rude to each other. That's been my experience, at least. I don't have a single friend that I have not called "dumb" or "an idiot" at least once. And the thing is, we should be able to joke about differences without blowing up about it. I'm not saying we should be rude to people, but things need to change.

• Let's just all be good people?

Hey, how about instead of complaining about how "irritating" it is that you can't be an asshole anymore, you just.... NOT be an asshole? Everyone wins, badabing badaboom. Sorry you don't get to bash all Muslims or persons of color or homosexuals or women openly anymore. Well actually, I'm not sorry. Move on with your lives and quit being assholes about our generation not wanting to be assholes anymore.

• Nope. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

What we are seeing is not 'PC run amok' it's "why are people calling me out for being a jerk/racist/sexist/bigot/etc" People think their freedom of speech means they cannot be called out or criticized for such speech, which is of course absolute nonsense.

What you see from a lot of the 'yes' camp is well, they don't like that minorities and others can call them out, as they couldn't do that in the old days. My advice? Deal with it, and maybe if you weren't being a racist, sexist, etc, people wouldn't tell you that you are.

• We aren't politically correct.

No, when you think of being politically correct, you think of Fahrenheit 451 where the people don't know about anything in their society. They think everything is nice and dandy while they are in the middle of a war in which 10 million of their people are involved in. People cant think for themselves. I will admit that our government loves to stretch the truth but at least we can think of things for ourselves.

• We aren't politically correct.

• Of course not!

No, society has not become "too politically correct." Maybe the problem is that in the past, we weren't politically correct enough. Even if you have freedom of speech, that doesn't mean that you should use sexist and misogynistic stereotypes. "Political correctness" isn't a bad thing, it is the way that we should speak.

• Plenty of Politically Incorrect People

There are plenty of politically incorrect facets of our society. Just look at Don Imus, who still happens to be working even though he called an entire women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy hoes." Paula Deen's career on television was ruined because someone thought she was racist. Our society isn't politically correct--the KKK still exists.

• Freedom of Speech is not Freedom from Consequence

You are still free to say or do what you want, but like all of your actions you should expect consequences as a result. Others have the RIGHT and the freedom to criticize you for your beliefs/words/actions.

Freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequence.
    Freedom of speech =/= freedom from criticism.

• We have not.

I think that the term political correctness and all of its variations has been given a bad rap. I think that being PC, so to speak, it really just being polite to people. Not saying offensive things really is not a bad thing, so I think we should strive to be more PC.

• Sensitive vs Respectful

Being sensitive to others and being "others aware" is not political correctness it's a much needed social skill and essential for the survival and progress of a civilized nation. Why do we struggle so much in conveying our ideas whilst having respect for others? We struggle with creating win/win scenarios and we fail to create "others awareness". As we continue to evolve we are faced with different populations desiring the same respect and value as others. I'm not sure why we are so resistant to giving that? What we say, Do, And how we behave have impact and consequences. Where do you draw a line with regards to speaking your mind? Where do we set limits? Would we give Hitler a TV spot in 2018? I would hope not? Where does our right to express ourselves become more valuable than anothers right to feel basic respect? Why can we not balance these? The idea that we should be able to say whatever we please in whatever form to another is inherently placing more value on ourselves than another. It's a zero sum game. If you go through this world expressing yourself freely despite who you upset, Hurt, Offend, Etc. . . . You will find yourself very alone at the end. It is the natural consequence. People that do relationships and communication well have learned to balance their thoughts, Desires, Needs, Speech etc. . . With the welfare of others. I would encourage people to place the same value on others as they give themselves. As my sister would say "feel the room! ". . . We don't live in a vacuum and I am not presumptuous enough to say that my right to speak my mind trumps your right to feel respected or safe.

• It is protecting people

People are generally okay on social media, but when you see how spiteful people are on social media. You here on the news terrible stories of rape threats, death threats, etc. This can have a deep effect on people. People who spout stuff like this should be stopped from doing so.

>