I feel like The Bible is very offensive ; what do you guys think?

Asked by: KreyolDebater
  • I believe The Bible is very offensive

I believe many things that are taught in Christian churches are very offensive. Priest talk about how God gave us a free will but God has told us not to do certain sins in which many are incapable of not doing even if we are capable of controlling ourselves it is not free will. I feel like The Bible is too much for me to handle and I get very upset just by hearing the word "bible" , "Christianity" or just by seeing The Bible. Many verses express the exact opposite of what Christians try to teach and what God supposedly wants us to live our life and or believe , like this Bible verse: Exodus 22:18: "Do not allow a sorceress to live.". Why would you say " do not allow a sorceress to live" if murder is against the Bible? Or in 1 Peter 2:18: "Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel." ; this is basically saying that all slaves must respect their masters no matter how evil or cruel they are (to them) , isn't The Bible supposed to promote non evil, why would something like this be put into The Bible? It's ridiculous and I know that I am not the only one offended by this material. I feel like if Christianity identified itself as an evil religion then it would be less of a big deal but Christianity identifies itself as "The best religion" , "The purest religion of them all" , "The religion of peace and discipline". Someone please share their perspective and prove to me that I have the right to be offended

• The Bible is sexist

The Bible is offemsive. It used to be racist, but has since reformed thanks to some great Christians. That said, it’s sexist elements have still not been taken out in most bibles. A lot of things in the Bible view women as property and objects to men, and though some versions have changed that, the majority haven’t.

• Obviously it is

It's a savage fairy tale people take way to literally. That said I live in America,& in America you have many rights,but one of them is not the right to not be offended. I may not like it and even despise religion,but people are stupid.Let them live in their bubble of ignorance.

• There are verses that induce genocide, racism, slavery, sexism, homophobia, and rape. So, yes.

Most people know that the old testament has some very bad recommendations in it. However, the new testament also does this. The main argument that I am seeing is that it's just a book and you shouldn't take it to heart. However, the fact that some people do take it to heart is disturbing. Some people actually believe the horrible things that are said in it. The bible has been a cause of many horrid things. People use the bible as an excuse for mass killings and prejudice.

Just because something is "just a book" does not mean it is not offensive. The content is offensive, even if it is just a book.

It being a different time does not justify the things said in it. Do you look back at racist cartoons and say, it's okay, it was a different time back then. Do you think about Martin Luther King's assassination and think, it was a different time then; it was normal, people killed black activists all the time. I sure hope you don't.

The bible does encourage people to do good things. However, it preaches bad things as well. There is a specific verse in Timothy 2 that literally says "kill their infants and their livestock, they are unholy and shall perish for their sins." is telling people to kill innocent infants encouraging people to do good things?

• Yes/No ... ..

The bible has truth in it but like the torah it has been corrupted . The true bible was only about bringing new commandments or an updated version of the torah/old testament, but have changed and corrupted by the romans and some jews . During the 300 years after yeshua been born, the romans made Yeshua the son of god (because the roman emperor converted and changed the idea of monotheism while spreading it so it can be forced by every citizen) which is completely false because how could the god (the maker) have a son. They burned down the original scriptures and the translators/authors wouldn't write or copy word by word which led to changing of the book. And now there is more than 200 different versions of the bible. Islam and Judaism worship one supreme God, while most sects of the christian world will tell they worship the god but in fact they worship 3 Yeshua/Isa, the holy spirt, and the father. If you want to worship Yeshua( Yeshua is a prophet ) you should also worship Adam because he didnt have father nor mother?!

I'm not trying to offend any person but that is the truth and if you want to debate, I'm very happy and willing to debate with you. (As long as you respect my opinions and the vice versa is applied to me). Thank you.

• Yep. You'll realize that once you read the ''bad'' parts.

Christians can say they don't trust science, and claim that whoever disagrees with them will burn in hell, and people say ''they're free to believe whatever they want'' and ''their conviction is admirable'' or other crap.

But when agnostics/atheists say they don't trust christianity, people call them ''offensive'', ''aggressive'' and ''disrespectful''.

• I agree and I'm a Christian.

The Bible can be offensive, but just because something offends you doesn't mean it's wrong. If a murderer read the Bible they could take offense when it says it is wrong to murder. In this case hopefully all of us can agree that the Bible's rule not to murder is probably a good rule. Don't stop reading because while some things will offend you, others will leave with you a peace, joy, and contentment you can't imagine. ;)

• Here are some Verses I've been DYING to use

Luke19:27
    But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”
    Deuteronomy17:1-20
    “You shall not sacrifice to the Lord your God an ox or a sheep in which is a blemish, any defect whatever, for that is an abomination to the Lord your God. “If there is found among you, within any of your towns that the Lord your God is giving you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, in transgressing his covenant, and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, and it is told you and you hear of it, then you shall inquire diligently, and if it is true and certain that such an abomination has been done in Israel, then you shall bring out to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones. ...

2Chronicles15:12-13
    And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.

Matthew10:34
    “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Leviticus20:27
    “A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.”
    2Chronicles15:13
    But that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.
    Titus2:9-10
    Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.
    Deuteronomy22:28-29
    “If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days. (ah yes, a marriage to your rapist sounds great)
    Deuteronomy21:10-14
    “When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God gives them into your hand and you take them captive, and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and you desire to take her to be your wife... Bring her home to your house, she shall... Live with you.... But you shall not sell her for money, nor shall you treat her as a slave, since you havehumiliated her.

• Just a book.

It's a book about how people thought and believed over 2,000 years ago. Sure, things like sexism and slavery are offensive to modern society but back then, these were normal facts of life. What the bible was intended to do was to encourage people to do good and not evil. Is that offensive?

• If you find it offensive don't read it

If your parents want you to be that religion they stick with it until you are old enough to choose what type of religion you want to follow (or if you choose to believe in science) if it bothers you no body is forcing you to read it as an adult you can choose to read it or not by then it will be your will but if you are still a child you have to obey your parents

• It is definitely not.

Because we can't forget that the Bible was actually written by HUMANS. Not God. God gave his message that he wanted to give, to the people who wrote the Bible. The laws and beliefs on culture and women and slavery were very different back then. The authors of the Bible took God's word and wrote it in the way the views on culture were back then. I think the Bible has very true and the messages hidden behind the words are what God is speaking. Humans made slavery, sexism, racism and everything in between. In the end, the Bible is only a part of Christianity and not the whole thing (at least that's what I think)

• It depends on how you take it

I feel that often, people take verses from different holy books (the Bible, the Koran, etc.) and walk around with them memorized to prove that religion is evil. The problem is that they take everything out of context and make it seem like these books are telling people to commit horrendous acts. What is also unfortunate is those of us Christians who go around acting like we are the perfect religion and all others are fake. I find this to be an absurd thing to say and frankly, I don't even think it is true. It's just sad that Christians with the wrong idea are driving people away from the religion.

>