If you were sentenced to life in prison, without the possibility of parole, would you commit suicide?

Asked by: JuliaD
  • Zero reasons to live

If I went to prison for life and no parole my life would be incapacitated, as good as dead. When sentenced to life in prison, I could either end my life soon, or live for nothing, no reason, and no-one in a cold, tiny cell for the next 40-50 years or so. And then die.

• Life in prison is worse than death.

Prison is one of the worst experiences in the world. Being sentenced for life, you might as well already be dead. In fact i think anyone who is sentenced to life in prison should instead get the death penalty because it would be more humane and also save money from keeping a person alive that other wise will die in that place anyway. Its no different than kidnapping a person and locking them in an attic for the rest of their life while you psychologically torment them until they die. Sure most of them are murderers and deserve the torture but at the same time why spend so much money and resources keeping them alive when you can use that money for more beneficial reasons. Like medical research or helping the homeless or veterans that come home from war only to live on the street. Helping people find jobs. But instead they use that money to keep a person alive that is going to be locked behind a set of bars untill the day they die. So yeah if it was me, I would kill myself. The mental torture would be far worse than finding a reason to live knowing that your going to die in that hell hole.

• Yes definitely no problem

I dont need one it is obvious we should be able to choose death over a life-sentence i am working on a bill right now to approve it for it will overall help our legal system become more clean and not to mention more healthy if ya know what i mean.

• Yes, I honestly truthfully would.

Honestly, I'm only 16 - i've been to the juvenile system and in there, I spent about a week, I was beyond suicidal. I wasn't even in the real house nor on death row.
    If you weren't completely headstrong and didn't have such "great" friends in the system, you'd kill yourself. In fact an NFL start just hung himself because he had life without parole. It's a horrible situation and there really isn't a way out. I believe people would rather die than suffer the horrible hell of jail.
    Just like on an episode of LockUp: Extended Stay a man had life without parole and he even said so himself; "The only way out is parole or suicide."
    It's sad, but people would do it. I would do it. I wouldn't want to be alive anymore.

• You are already "DEAD" when sentence to "life in prison".

What is the point to be alive when you know that all days, nights, months and years are going to be the exact same experience over and over again, and you won't be able to change anything. Yes, of course, must definitely, without a doubt, I would commit suicide under those circumstances. The only way to remain alive under those circumstances is if you are a masochist who enjoys pain and suffering.

• No Question about it

Life in Prison, hell, I'd do it after just 1 night in jail. I've went a long time with a clean criminal record but once that changes (and it will in 30 days time), I've got some mood stabilizer meds that are sure to get the job done pretty quickly.

• Live free or die

The teachings of my church tell me that suicide is a mortal sin, however, to live in such a degraded condition is more than the soul can bear for some. For others they can do it. I thought the other day that i would never accept the confinement but would choose death as the most honorable thing in that case. However, that is only if i were guilty. If innocent i fight until the day i die for justice though the heavens fall.

• Prison ruins lives

Even without a life sentence, those convicted of felonies have a very limited chance of a good life after prison. Mandantory minimums are growing for things that used to be up to the judges individual ruling. Let's say someone had a drug on them at age 27, and came from a poor background. If they get a 10 year mandate, then they're almost 40 when they get out. Who would want to hire a 40 year old felon? You can't vote, get public asistance, own a gun, live in many areas, get student grants, etc. What life is there for these people, even without a life sentence? It's basically either you submit to poverty or you resort to crime to pay the rent. Suicide would not be a misplaced option here.

• Eventually...If I couldn't escape.

It really is a living death. What is the point of being alive if you are trapped behind bars 24 hours a day either doing absolutely nothing, and being separated from friends and loved ones forever, or being raped or tortured by other prisoners? There is no hope of being happy or accomplishing anything so you may as well just be executed.
    As much as we have to take responsibility for our actions and face up to the consequences, life without parole should never be a consequence of anything because we should always have some possibility of redemption, regardless of the crime. Limited sentences or life sentences WITH parole, I agree with.

That being said, I would appeal the sentence or do everything I could to escape the prison and then get the hell out of that country before I gave in to suicide.

• The other side

Answering this means you have to question what it really means to live. If you shape your life around capitalist ideas like many of you seem to then yes a life in prison, having no material possessions, would ruin you as a person and suicide would set you free, but if we can break free of the ideological prison we're in now (Capitalism) then there would be no justification for ending your life if you were in prison. Even in prison one can read, learn, and improve their understanding of what life is. And isn't that what philosophy is all about? I am deeply disappointed in those who say they would kill themselves for the pursuit of knowledge, in other words philosophy, cannot... WILL NOT be stopped by any institution. If you are of the majority who want to end it all just because you won't see your favorite TV show or have the ability live a "free life" where you are forced to work a job you hate in a system you cannot change for people who do not care to know your name then you should end your life now because you are living for the wrong reason. I'm getting away from my main point which is that a life in prison is the perfect opportunity to devote your life to understanding it so shame on all of you who call yourself a lover of knowledge, YOU shouldn't even visit this site if you would choice to end your petty life over the discomfort of not living in our Capitalist society, forcing you to rethink life.

• I would try to escape

First I would try to formulate a plan to escape. I would not just accept my fate. However, if that were to fail, I would plot an ambush murder on some jail guards so I could at least take some bacon with me in to the next life. Oink oink.

• I would try to escape

• No, even in hard times I don't want to die.

If I cannot achieve parole then I can attempt escape, if I cannot escape, then make what I can of prison.
    I still have my mind, my soul, a freedom to pursue small tasks I wish. Able to contemplate still existence and myself. . . . . . . .

• It wouldn't be all about me anymore

"instead of poor me I wish I were dead", I could think "maybe I could help someone", and use my time unselfishly for once in my life. I think using what I had experienced in my life,the way I lived,and where it got me, could help encourage someone to actually see what is and isn't important.It might help me with my guilt and shame and help make amends, at least in my soul,for the wrongs I had committed. I believe there's a good amount of people that are not in prison that are serving life sentences from just the selfishness relying on money property and prestige to fill their hearts. When I close my eyes for the last time, no matter where I'm at,I'd like to take comfort in the fact that I tried to be a better person,and help others to the end. No matter what the circumstances,guilty or not.

• If I was sentenced to lwop would I commit suicide?

My answer is defiantly not. Laws are always changing and new people come and go in office. Plus you have chances at appeals if only the judges and the higher courts would be more lienant. The prison system needs to be reformed. To quick to throw away the key for those that made a stupid choice at a moment when they clearly were not thinking properly or acted on impulse. They need to bring back the standard 33 years for life sentences.

• H.O.P.E. For All

HOPE - NEVER LOOSE HOPE! Laws can change and new people come into office. There are appeals as well. The biggest resource is that God is real and anything can happen. Committing suicide is not an option for me. Yes, facing the time of life in prison is very hard to swallow, but we must not lose HOPE!

• My mind would be on living and believing in God

There are many things to do to fulfill your life in prison to give you hope and reason to live. There is education the ability to learn new things that can interest you positively and the time to exercise and improve your health. You have to get moving in spirit and in mental awareness.

• No,I would not commit suicide if I was sentenced to life in prison.

No,I would not commit suicide if I was sentenced to life in prison.I would know that this is what meant for me in the end and I needed to just make the most of it and try to improve myself physically and mentally so I knew I could live out my life there with a healthy conscious.

• No I would escape

In cases where an individual is sentenced to Life without parole, they should receive the death penalty, and you wonder why you have prison over crowding? Back to the question, I have no doubt some people would choose suicide, but personally I would dedicate all my time towards escape its not like you would have anything better to do.

Anonymous says2013-08-23T17:05:03.320
If I really had nothing left to loose, I imagine I would just endlessly attempt to escape.
simpleman says2013-09-05T04:56:11.907
I think it is a horrendous thought that imprisonment should justify suicide. A life is a precious thing that it's possessor has no ability to have initiated, so why would that same person see it fit to decide when said life should extinguish? I realize this is a more logical approach to responding, but it is what I see as being true. If eternity and God prove true, what would you answer at eternity's gate?
>