• Lol @ ADHD being fake or due to bad parenting

When my child was four years old, he literally never sat down for more than 10 seconds. He never walked anywhere...He always hopped. He was so thin from constant hopping because he would never take time to eat. I had to follow him with bowls of food and shovel it into his mouth as he hopped. That was the only way he was going to get nutrition. I have a very polite and compassionate 21 year old with Autism and ADHD now. He could teach your child(ren) a few things about respect and manners, guaranteed. I invite you to come to my home and observe the way we live, THEN tell me it is made up or that I am a bad parent. I normally won't toot my own horn but I am one hell of a good mother...And have the product of such parenting to prove it! ADHD doesn't mean "being bad". You might want to research it a little more before making such assumptions.

• In the 21st century, virtually all scientists and doctors agree that ADHD is real.

For more than 30 years brain scans have been used to detect ADHD, and these brain scans detect significant differences in brain function in those who have ADHD to those who do not have the condition.

It is important to realize that the ability to sit still and concentrate, like most other human functions, comes from the brain. It is not a matter of will power.

• Of course it is

ADHD, and its cousin ADD, are both very real. The reason people think they are not is due to how very over diagnosed they are. There are many systems, be they schools, therapists, or doctors, who will slap the diagnosis on any hyper or underachieving child, whether they have it or not. That does not mean it is not real, it is very real.

• I have it

Yes its real but I do not know how handicapping it is. Trying to fit into normal society is difficult but if you need someone who can handle stress like no other who gets going when the going gets tough they're who you need. We are not capable of many mundane tasks with any accuracy but things we are passionate about or are stressful come easy.

• Yes, ADHD is Real

ADHD is a very real disorder. The transformation from ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) to its current acronym has allowed for more people to be diagnose under the banner definition. I have seen first hand the effects of the disorder on a person's demeanor and quality of life. Just like any other learning disorder, ADHD is something that can be treated with medication and allow the sufferer to live a relatively normal life.

Posted by: pdrm
  • YES

As somebody who has been diagnosed with it, I can tell you that it's real. I would wager that it is probably misdiagnosed, but I have no doubt in my mind that it's real.

Changing my diet didn't help, and for those that want to say that I used it to excuse laziness: I graduated from high school in the top fifteen percent of my class, I graduated from college with a 3.6 GPA, and I've been working since I was sixteen years old.

I'm hardly what one could classify as a lazy, good for nothing slob.

When you have ADHD, forcing yourself to concentrate creates a situation where you are quickly exhausted and your mind begins to rebel against you. I find myself bouncing my knee or something like that without even realizing it.

I'm doing okay even without medication, but it's only because I have developed a minimalistic lifestyle where it's almost impossible to clutter things up, and I've gone into a field where my ADHD can actually be a plus at times.

• Don't minimize the struggle of those with ADHD

I have worked with kids with behaviour issues for 15 years. Not all of those kids have ADHD and not all kids with ADHD have behaviour issues that require intense support, But some of them do. ADHD does not look exactly the same in each person, But it shares common traits, The same way any medical diagnosis varies in its manifestation from person to person.

I also have family members with ADHD and am parenting a child with ADHD. Since I do behaviour intervention work for a living, I am fairly confident in my parenting abilities. Our parenting did not cause ADHD. If parenting caused ADHD, Why would families have one child with ADHD and not all their children? My child is not abused, Malnourished, Or otherwise maltreated. What a harmful stereotype! My child does not have a learning disability: she is academically above average.

My daughter's brain works differently. We are working hard on self-regulation skills. What seems easy to the non-ADHD brain is not easy for her, Or others with the disorder. When you call into question whether it exists, It minimizes the struggle these people have every day. You also minimize my struggle to parent a child with ADHD.

ADHD is not all bad, By the way, There are 'superpowers' (as we call them) that come with the condition. Hyperfocus being one of them. My 5 year old daughter can complete a 100 piece puzzle faster than some adults, Because she is intensely interested. She absorbs every word of stories written for much older kids, Because she loves being read to and has a great imagination. People who don't understand what ADHD actually is think it's about not paying attention, It's actually disordered attention: which can mean having trouble shifting focus from one thing to another, But also an intense focus on things that interest the person.

The boundless energy children with adhd (the hyperactivity presentation) can be pretty obvious to those that work with children. The naysayers that say all children are hyperactive or that these kids are just energetic are not understanding the difference between energetic and hyperactive. Likely because they have limited experience with children or are in denial about their own child's ADHD, And have 'blinders on' because they are not willing to accept their child's differences. I encounter this as well often, It is hard to accept a child's diagnosis: I know firsthand.

As for medical evidence, There are clear differences between MRI images of brains with ADHD and brains without. It doesn't take a lot of time to look for some of these studies. No, We do not have a surefire 'test' for ADHD: we also do not have this magical "medical proof" of Autism Spectrum Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, Developmental Delays, Learning Disabilities. . . See where I am going with this? Does this mean we should doubt the existence of every mental health disorder or developmental disorder? That's a silly argument. Trained clinicians diagnose using a variety of methods.

• IT is most certainly real.

Scientist and doctors have both stated that, in a person with this disorder, that there is a lack of dopamine in the brain. The person therefore has to find new things constantly to keep them going. It is because of this that they have an even harder time staying focused and concentrated on a repetitive, structured, mundane, environment such as our schools. Throughout school I would try so hard to pay attention but the info would just go right out the other side, i had to learn things my way or at my own pace most of the time to retain it well and expand my knowledge.

• This isn't even a debate

Of course ADHD is real! It's been proven time and time again that it is linked to genetics. It is not caused by poor parenting, sugar, too much TV/video games contrary to popular belief. It does not discriminate against gender, age, race, religion, or social class. It is a spectrum disorder. Some who have it may have it slightly while some may have it severely

• I Have ADD/ADHD

The world doesn't understand the how it feels to be unable to focus on things at all the distractions and then when you go on a computer and play a game time rushes by at seemingly impossible speeds. The boring school work thats easy can some times take two hours

• Where is the biological evidence?

There is no biological or medical evidence to properly conclude it as a "disorder". This is a social construct NOT a biological one. Why are 9% of American kids said to have ADHD and in France less than a half a percent of kids are diagnosed with ADHD? They even treat it differently through counseling and environmental changes. Show me medical PROOF of ADHD.... Fact is there isn't any!

• Not necessarily real.

It is real in that our society has basically "created" the disease. When the person who came up with it refers to it as a "fictitious disease", that should say a lot. ADHD is the result of many things: Over stimulation. Bad food choices. Bad food in general. Bad parenting. And an overall push by physicians to get people onto some form of drug. We don't cure things in 2013, we give medications to treat the symptoms. ADHD is never treated because to do so would mean a complete change in how our society operates.

So it ADHD real? Not on its own. I don't have a smoking problem until I light a cigarette. I don't have a kid with ADHD until I start expecting my child to not be a child and then feed him (her) the genetically altered and drugged up foods available in our supermarkets.

• Normal child behaviour

Mental disorders are a label created when one's behaviour deviates from what is considered 'normal'. But 'normal' is a socially & culturally bound concept. Perhaps if society didnt focus so heavily on academics as a child's predictor of success and changed some social adjustments we would see a decline in the disorder

• It's really been voted into existence.

ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder was created with the last couple versions of the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Disorders).

The earlier version called it Attention Deficit Disorder. The DSM states in the text that there is no medical test or biopsy that can determine the existence of ADHD and that it is entirely a subjective diagnosis by the practitioner.

The manual itself before being approved and published goes through a series of votes where top psychiatrists in the APA and similar organizations vote as to what they think should now be considered a disorder.

The DSM that is being released soon (DSM-V) is being widely criticized for being full of absurd disorders and listing so many new ones. Caffeine addiction is in there; so is the disliking of math. But, no fear, there are drugs to help!

• The behavior is real, but the causes can be many.

ADHD, or attentikn deficit hyperactivity disorder, is a loose grouping of symptoms. These symptoms can be caused by a lot of things, for example:

1). The child is simply energetic and distractable,

2). The child has a hidden learning disability,

3).The child is bullied or abused,

4). The child has malnutrition,

5). The child has brain damage. Just banging one's head against the wall can produce brain damage. Brain cysts or tumors are known to dramatically impact behavior and cause uncontrollable outbursts, voilence, and other serious problems,

6). Others not listed. Not including fictitious "brain chemical imbalance."

There are so many possible reasons for a given behavior that lumping it into a single classification of "ADHD" renders it meaningless.

>