Is calling someone a bigot technically an action of bigotry?

Asked by: xhammy
  • Yes, It's a very general term encompassing all of humanity.

"A bigot is someone that is intolerant towards another's opinions" is one definition which makes it a little less of a generalizing term. Basically, If you've ever argued with someone or didn't approve of their views and opinions, You're a bigot. It's always amusing to be called a bigot, Because majority of the time it's by someone who has lost emotional control from their intolerance of your statements.

• Hypocrisy is Hypocrisy

Saying that someone is a bigot because they think and do, “something bigoted, ” is saying you do not tolerate their views or actions. You are intolerant of their views of the world, Making you a bigot. Just because you are a bigot, Does not mean you are wrong, But calling someone a bigot because you disagree with them and want to prove your point through name calling rather than by presenting facts, Or getting answers does in fact make you both intolerant and prejudiced.

• Read a Dictionary

Unwillingness to endure differing views, Opinions, Or beliefs, Or people is bigotry.

Bigotry is neither good or bad. It all depends on what you're being a bigot about.

Examples:
    - Bigotry can be good if you refuse to endure paedophilia

and

- Bigotry can be bad if you refuse to endure a certain group of people

• Read a Dictionary.

Examples:

and

• Yes, better ways to voice your opinion in most cases.

Calling someone a bigot is a strong fighting word mostly used to insist "I'm right you're wrong so there" without giving a calm, rational line of reasoning. It's the equivalent of calling someone a homophobic. How are you going to get people to understand your perspective if all you do is ridicule and insult them, especially online?

• This is a terrible question

This all depends on the definition of Bigot being used.

Websters dictionary defines it as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

Dictionary.Com defines it as "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion."

Calling someone a bigot, generally, coincides with an intolerance of their views or, phrased differently, their creed/belief/opinion. Thus by dictionary.Com, you are bigoted about their opinions because it doesn't align with your own (which is why you are calling them out).

However, by the Webster definition, bigotry may be specifically about members of groups- which bigoted people aren't really considered to be a group. Except the KKK.

Still, based on the diverse definitions of the term, it seems that if a "yes" or a "no" had to be chosen, "yes" would be more accurate than "no" for this question, as even webster's (though implying its about racial/minority/group discrimination) does say a bigot is "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices," and calling someone a bigot ultimately displays an intolerant devotion to your own opinions.

This all being said, if someone is being racist call them out for being a bigot. I'd be fine with being told I'm bigoted about racism because I most certainly am. But unlike being bigoted about race, being bigoted about racism isn't a bad thing.

• Catachresis and Acyrologia.

Calling someone a bigot is by definition the exact same thing as being a bigot. It shows intolerance toward the opinions of others. I suspect this is a classic example of a catachresis where people want to use a word, but use it based on what they think it means, not what it actually means. The actual act of choosing the incorrect word is acyrologia. If you look at the opinions of those who disagree, several of them agree but try to explain it away. When you know the meaning of a word and try to use it to mean something else it creates gibberish, not a logical argument.

• Yes, the way it is most commonly used, but not if it is used correctly.

A bigot is someone who is not tolerant of opposing opinions, and to be tolerant is to allow opposing opinions to exist. Allowing them to exist means you are not actively trying to destroy or disallow them, even if you discourage or disagree with them. The only way you can disallow an opinion is to punish those who openly display it.
    Therefore a bitgot is one who is actively trying to punish people who do not hold certain opinions/beliefs. If you call someone any insult ever, you are displaying intolerance and you are trying to socially punish them. If this is because of their opinion, you are the bigot. However, if it is because of their actions, then you are simply not tolerating certain actions which is both expected and required of anyone and everyone, and is no way being bigoted. This is because we can all at the very least agree everyone should be intolerate of serial killers. Therefore it is acceptable and expected to be intolerant based on someones actions. Trying to punish people for their opinions is an action, so being intolerant of bigots is acceptable. I said yes because again, most people dont call others bigots for thier actions, and in trying to punish an opinion they prove themselves bigots.

• It's circular reasoning

It appears to be a statement that said to someone else's as a statement of their own intolerance and hence bigoted in itself. In the end people should be allowed to believe what they want and essentially "agree to disagree". I think best use of "bigot" is properly used in the context of ethnic intolerance, i.e. Hating someone purely on skin colour. It's a quality that cannot be changed. Bigotry as is commonly referred to in a religious context or opinion relating to social, philosophical, or political arenas is an expression of the person who calls another a bigot, their own bigotry and in tolerance.

• Screaming Bigot makes you the bigot.

Calling someone a bigot automatically makes you a bigot because you're not tolerant to their opinion. Liberals are the first ones to label someone a bigot, to shut down an argument because they don't have any facts to support their position. Next time, before you label some a bigot, you should ask yourself the question, Am I the Bigot?

• Bigot = intolerance. Stating so does not = bigot.

If you are a bigot toward gays, For example, You are intolerant toward someone their sexual orientation. I can recognize that about you and still tolerate you. I can still accept that fact that you have this belief, And it is different than mine. In this example, You are a bigot. Based on your acts of bigotry. If you are intolerant toward gays though, You are the very person I have to worry about taking action and voting my rights away, Because you cannot accept that they're different than yours. You do not tolerate it. No part of that automatically makes me a bigot toward you for simply recognizing it about you. This isn't a "takes one to know one" situation. I can recognize that you're a murderer if you kill people. That doesn't automatically make me a murderer.

• Calling an Orange an Orange

This was stated earlier. Calling an orange an orange does not make you an orange. Calling out hate and ignorance does not make you ignorant. The fact that you’re calling it out shows that you are, In fact, Not ignorant. Just because you may be intolerant of an individual’s hateful words or actions certainly does not make you a bigot.

• It’s a strawman attack.

One can easily call out bigotry and be tolerant of it. Identifying a bigot and respecting their freedom of speech is not intolerance. If a person exhibits a position in a manner consistent with bigotry, Then “calling an orange an orange” is not bigotry. It’s situational at the very least

• How can the truth ever be spoken?

Tolerance allows the presence of differing opinions while bigotry seeks to change a law system or inflict discriminatory practices based upon prejudice towards personally held beliefs. If we cannot speak truth on the existence of discrimination, How can we then take action to support our neighbors against hatred? Stating the truth does not equate to intolerance. Instead, It denies ignorance.

• No; Identifying someone does not define yourself.

Depending on how it's used and when it's used it can vary, however, merely the use of the term to denote someone's aspersions does not imply self identification.

If I express my views and someone screams vulgarities at me and proceeds to interrupt any/all debate on the topic, that is in fact a bigot. And it is not Bigoted of me to define them as such.

However, if I hear another's views and instead of debating or discussing their ideas/views I just scream bigot at them, then yes, using it would be bigoted of me to do so.

It is not the act of using the word bigot, it is misusing the word, or using the word in place of debate and discussion.

• Not to confuse bigotry as immaturity

There's no justification in agreeing or respecting intolerable things such as violating Human Rights, certain ethnic groups, religions, etc. If someone does not tolerate another on not liking chocolate that would be considered as an act of immaturity not bigotry. If a person ends growing up while disagreeing on petty things that only produce close relationships to fall apart, people usually think of letting the person know that they need to grow up.

Posted by: 9HD
  • Intolerance and Bigotry aren't the same

Bigotry is not only being intolerant of other's beliefs, it seeks to change laws based on hateful rhetoric. You can be intolerant of others and still support their right to have bigoted opinions. Bigots on the other hand expect to bend laws to their prejudice. In other words, you can disagree that being trans is okay, that's intolerance, but trying to enforce a law keeping them out of their preferred bathroom is bigotry.

• If the Shoe Fits Wear It

If someone is a liar, what do you call them ? It's OK to call them a liar. A bigot is someone who has beliefs that are not based on truth, and they get mad if you don't accept and embrace what they TELL YOU. If that fits some people, then I guess they are bigots. Since when is telling the truth wrong ? Truth is stronger than love. Just throwing red paint on someone and saying they are red doesnt make them red. Your bigoted red accusations are painting people every day, but we should not recluse ourselves from calling them out for their brazen ignorant bigoted claims and lies.

• Discriminatory vs Discriminative

It all depends on what you and your community believe in.
    Let's put it this way, legal execution of a killer is not considered a bad thing, even though it is still a killing in reality.
    If you believe racial prejudices have no place in 21st century, saying it clearly doesn't make you a bigot in pejorative sense.
    To me, the idea of "fighting for equality" is an illusion, it is only about what part of society you want to be empowered.
    If "fighting for equality" is what you are after, I'd advise that you should stop using labeling anyone with a pejorative terms, and give your opponent "I do not agree with your view on it" kind of response

• It depends on context

If I use bigot as a noun, a label that denounces a persons views than yes I might be construed a bigot. Intolerant of anther's views. Another scenario may be if I use the adjective of the word and say this person has bigoted views. It does not denote bigotry on my part but an expression of how I see this persons opinion.