Is calling someone a bigot technically an action of bigotry?

Asked by: xhammy
  • Yes it is!

Many people call others bigots mainly the LGBT and Liberal groups lately. A bigot by definition is quote: "a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions". So basically anyone with an explanation point on an Yes/No debate.Org opinion. By calling someone a bigot based on their opinion, you are expressing your intolerance towards people with that opinion thus making you a bigot.

• Without a doubt.

Bigotry's definition, according to Apple's standard dictionary, is "intolerance towards those who hold different opinions than oneself." Now let's say I stroll into a McDonald's and say, "I think gay marriage is wrong." Immediately, someone will object. The most likely response involves the words "intolerant," "bigot," "hater," or "right-wing *****." Let's zoom in on the "bigot" accusation. If I am bigoted, I would be intolerant of anything or anyone whose opinions diverge from mine. Does this not mean that the person who instantly called me a bigot for opposing gay marriage is a bigot himself? His opinions on gay marriage and mine were at odds, so he instantly dismissed me as a bigot. He didn't take time to consider my opinion- instead he was vehemently opposed to ME because of my OPINION. This is by very definition a bigot. I've seen posts saying "It depends on the actions." Really? That's not what the dictionary says. The dictionary gave that word a meaning, with no footnotes attached. Therefore, anyone who says "Bigotry is all about the actions" is changing the definition of the word. Words have definitions for a reason- and that reason is not to be changed to manipulate an argument in your favor. Bigotry is as bigotry is defined- bigotry.

• Where did logic go?

Name calling is a really childish thing. And so most of the time you call someone a name if you get under your skin. Technically yes, calling someone a bigot doesn't make you one. But in the real world, and the way the word is used, it makes them both one. I can make up a false statement that I hate gays, and quite a few people will be in uproar. They'll start calling me a bigot, and that's mostly as they don't agree and can't tolerate me speaking my opinion. Which may I point out is just hypocritical as that's the reason for liberals, but someone uses it on them and they strike it down.

While saying I hate gays points out I don't like them, it doesn't mean I don't tolerate or respect them and their choices. So automatically assuming I'm a bigot, I could easy go back to the immature child saying "I know you are, but what am I?

• You're uglier than a bigot for calling me a bigot

Calling someone a bigot is an attempt to shame them into silence even if the shamed person believes in what they are getting shamed for. So in a sense calling someone a bigot is worse than being a bigot because when you call someone a bigot you are calling dishonor and disgrace upon them.

• Why of course

Calling Someone a "Bigot" will make you one because If you don't like anthers opinion then you somewhat have the nerve to insult another because how you hate their belief. "a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group", So therefore you don't like a or accept the "Bigot" view on certain things. Ha! Checkmate Liberals, pro-lgbt, people who use the word, etc.

• Yes, because timschochet does it

He does. All the time. It's really quite a bad habit of his. Doesn't agree with someone? Bigot. Someone doesn't believe in unbridled immigration and open borders? Bigot. He does it all the time. It's old and tired. But it happens. Again and again. Really not nice of him. And bigoted.

• Ironically the individual yelling "Bigot!" is, many times, a bigot him or herself.

Simply calling someone a bigot doesn't necessarily equate to a biggoted action, however, if the individual labeling the other person a bigot feels angry and doesn't want to tollerate the opposing viewpoint of the other individual then, yes, they are themselves a bigot.

Most of the individuals throwing around the word on the Internet could certainly be labeled intolerent of the opposing view.
    Ironic.

• Takes one to know one

"a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions"

Everyone thinks that what they believe is correct; truth is subjective. There is no one size fits all. You cannot simply call someone a bigot because they are not politically correct; or have different believes to you that you perceive to be wrong - that's being a bigot yourself.

• In the familiar scenario, yes.

I think it may be possible to identify bigotry without being a bigot. However, in the current and typical scenario, that is not the case. For example, in our age of political correctness it is typical for a LGBT supporter to identify a non-supporter as a bigot because of that non-support. In essence they are saying that to view non-heterosexual lifestyles as wrong is to be intolerant. But, the very act of viewing/labeling them as intolerant, is to be intolerant as well. Accordingly, to label someone a bigot typically means you are labeling yourself a bigot as well.

• Yes Yes Yes

Yes it does, even openly calling someone a bigot shows you are intolerable to their opinion, surely this makes you more of a bigot for calling someone else one. Although I understand it depends on the subject. If the person who calls you a bigot also has an opinion on the certain subject in question, then they are definitely a bigot too, the fact that they called you out on your opposing opinion proves that they are intolerable of it.

• Intolerance isn't to simply disagree.

Solely calling someone a bigot doesn't imply that the bigot isn't tolerated, especially if the person does indeed express bigotry. That would simply be stating a fact.

Tolerance: "showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with"

But, is it bigotry to not tolerate intolerance? To have someone disagree with you is one thing, but for them to not allow the existence of your thoughts or behaviors is not something that should be tolerated in return. The views or actions of bigots aren't tolerated because they're personally threatening, not because they're different.

• Actions Speak Loudest.

Calling someone a bigot based on their acts of bigotry doesn't determine if you are a bigot too. You can call a person a bigot and still act tolerant towards said person. Even if that person is acting like a bigot towards you. I personally believe that this sounds more like a "tolerance of intolerance" point. The LGBT community is fighting this argument against people who do not wish to treat everyone equally because they disagree with them. You can disagree with me on something, and not kick me out of your store.

• If I call a kettle black, does that make me a pot?

Nothing wrong with intolerance. I don't tolerate a political system and media that have favored corporate interests over the wellbeing of humans for quite some time, and I think we need more bigotry against the influence of money on government. Corporations are unnatural and shouldn't have human rights. Where in any religious book is it said that corporations should be treated equally with natural persons? Hopefully future generations will have developed an intolerance for abuse of power that many in this day and age have developed against their fellow man who may look or act differently than they do. Bigotry is abhorrent when used to attempt to take away the inalienable rights of human beings, which is what certain political groups have done by conflating social issues with their designs to increase their grip on political power through corruptive lobbying and dismantling representative government.

• Bigot = intolerance. Stating so does not = bigot.

If you are a bigot toward gays, For example, You are intolerant toward someone their sexual orientation. I can recognize that about you and still tolerate you. I can still accept that fact that you have this belief, And it is different than mine. In this example, You are a bigot. Based on your acts of bigotry. If you are intolerant toward gays though, You are the very person I have to worry about taking action and voting my rights away, Because you cannot accept that they're different than yours. You do not tolerate it. No part of that automatically makes me a bigot toward you for simply recognizing it about you. This isn't a "takes one to know one" situation. I can recognize that you're a murderer if you kill people. That doesn't automatically make me a murderer.

• Calling an Orange an Orange

This was stated earlier. Calling an orange an orange does not make you an orange. Calling out hate and ignorance does not make you ignorant. The fact that you’re calling it out shows that you are, In fact, Not ignorant. Just because you may be intolerant of an individual’s hateful words or actions certainly does not make you a bigot.

• It’s a strawman attack.

One can easily call out bigotry and be tolerant of it. Identifying a bigot and respecting their freedom of speech is not intolerance. If a person exhibits a position in a manner consistent with bigotry, Then “calling an orange an orange” is not bigotry. It’s situational at the very least

• How can the truth ever be spoken?

Tolerance allows the presence of differing opinions while bigotry seeks to change a law system or inflict discriminatory practices based upon prejudice towards personally held beliefs. If we cannot speak truth on the existence of discrimination, How can we then take action to support our neighbors against hatred? Stating the truth does not equate to intolerance. Instead, It denies ignorance.

• No; Identifying someone does not define yourself.

Depending on how it's used and when it's used it can vary, however, merely the use of the term to denote someone's aspersions does not imply self identification.

If I express my views and someone screams vulgarities at me and proceeds to interrupt any/all debate on the topic, that is in fact a bigot. And it is not Bigoted of me to define them as such.

However, if I hear another's views and instead of debating or discussing their ideas/views I just scream bigot at them, then yes, using it would be bigoted of me to do so.

It is not the act of using the word bigot, it is misusing the word, or using the word in place of debate and discussion.

• Not to confuse bigotry as immaturity

There's no justification in agreeing or respecting intolerable things such as violating Human Rights, certain ethnic groups, religions, etc. If someone does not tolerate another on not liking chocolate that would be considered as an act of immaturity not bigotry. If a person ends growing up while disagreeing on petty things that only produce close relationships to fall apart, people usually think of letting the person know that they need to grow up.

Posted by: 9HD
  • Intolerance and Bigotry aren't the same

Bigotry is not only being intolerant of other's beliefs, it seeks to change laws based on hateful rhetoric. You can be intolerant of others and still support their right to have bigoted opinions. Bigots on the other hand expect to bend laws to their prejudice. In other words, you can disagree that being trans is okay, that's intolerance, but trying to enforce a law keeping them out of their preferred bathroom is bigotry.