Is calling someone a bigot technically an action of bigotry?

Asked by: xhammy
  • Yes it is!

Many people call others bigots mainly the LGBT and Liberal groups lately. A bigot by definition is quote: "a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions". So basically anyone with an explanation point on an Yes/No debate.Org opinion. By calling someone a bigot based on their opinion, you are expressing your intolerance towards people with that opinion thus making you a bigot.

• Without a doubt.

Bigotry's definition, according to Apple's standard dictionary, is "intolerance towards those who hold different opinions than oneself." Now let's say I stroll into a McDonald's and say, "I think gay marriage is wrong." Immediately, someone will object. The most likely response involves the words "intolerant," "bigot," "hater," or "right-wing *****." Let's zoom in on the "bigot" accusation. If I am bigoted, I would be intolerant of anything or anyone whose opinions diverge from mine. Does this not mean that the person who instantly called me a bigot for opposing gay marriage is a bigot himself? His opinions on gay marriage and mine were at odds, so he instantly dismissed me as a bigot. He didn't take time to consider my opinion- instead he was vehemently opposed to ME because of my OPINION. This is by very definition a bigot. I've seen posts saying "It depends on the actions." Really? That's not what the dictionary says. The dictionary gave that word a meaning, with no footnotes attached. Therefore, anyone who says "Bigotry is all about the actions" is changing the definition of the word. Words have definitions for a reason- and that reason is not to be changed to manipulate an argument in your favor. Bigotry is as bigotry is defined- bigotry.

• Yes, It's a very general term encompassing all of humanity.

"A bigot is someone that is intolerant towards another's opinions" is one definition which makes it a little less of a generalizing term. Basically, If you've ever argued with someone or didn't approve of their views and opinions, You're a bigot. It's always amusing to be called a bigot, Because majority of the time it's by someone who has lost emotional control from their intolerance of your statements.

• This is a terrible question

This all depends on the definition of Bigot being used.

Websters dictionary defines it as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance"

Dictionary.Com defines it as "a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion."

Calling someone a bigot, generally, coincides with an intolerance of their views or, phrased differently, their creed/belief/opinion. Thus by dictionary.Com, you are bigoted about their opinions because it doesn't align with your own (which is why you are calling them out).

However, by the Webster definition, bigotry may be specifically about members of groups- which bigoted people aren't really considered to be a group. Except the KKK.

Still, based on the diverse definitions of the term, it seems that if a "yes" or a "no" had to be chosen, "yes" would be more accurate than "no" for this question, as even webster's (though implying its about racial/minority/group discrimination) does say a bigot is "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices," and calling someone a bigot ultimately displays an intolerant devotion to your own opinions.

This all being said, if someone is being racist call them out for being a bigot. I'd be fine with being told I'm bigoted about racism because I most certainly am. But unlike being bigoted about race, being bigoted about racism isn't a bad thing.

• Catachresis and Acyrologia.

Calling someone a bigot is by definition the exact same thing as being a bigot. It shows intolerance toward the opinions of others. I suspect this is a classic example of a catachresis where people want to use a word, but use it based on what they think it means, not what it actually means. The actual act of choosing the incorrect word is acyrologia. If you look at the opinions of those who disagree, several of them agree but try to explain it away. When you know the meaning of a word and try to use it to mean something else it creates gibberish, not a logical argument.

• Yes, the way it is most commonly used, but not if it is used correctly.

A bigot is someone who is not tolerant of opposing opinions, and to be tolerant is to allow opposing opinions to exist. Allowing them to exist means you are not actively trying to destroy or disallow them, even if you discourage or disagree with them. The only way you can disallow an opinion is to punish those who openly display it.
    Therefore a bitgot is one who is actively trying to punish people who do not hold certain opinions/beliefs. If you call someone any insult ever, you are displaying intolerance and you are trying to socially punish them. If this is because of their opinion, you are the bigot. However, if it is because of their actions, then you are simply not tolerating certain actions which is both expected and required of anyone and everyone, and is no way being bigoted. This is because we can all at the very least agree everyone should be intolerate of serial killers. Therefore it is acceptable and expected to be intolerant based on someones actions. Trying to punish people for their opinions is an action, so being intolerant of bigots is acceptable. I said yes because again, most people dont call others bigots for thier actions, and in trying to punish an opinion they prove themselves bigots.

• It's circular reasoning

It appears to be a statement that said to someone else's as a statement of their own intolerance and hence bigoted in itself. In the end people should be allowed to believe what they want and essentially "agree to disagree". I think best use of "bigot" is properly used in the context of ethnic intolerance, i.e. Hating someone purely on skin colour. It's a quality that cannot be changed. Bigotry as is commonly referred to in a religious context or opinion relating to social, philosophical, or political arenas is an expression of the person who calls another a bigot, their own bigotry and in tolerance.

• Screaming Bigot makes you the bigot.

Calling someone a bigot automatically makes you a bigot because you're not tolerant to their opinion. Liberals are the first ones to label someone a bigot, to shut down an argument because they don't have any facts to support their position. Next time, before you label some a bigot, you should ask yourself the question, Am I the Bigot?

• Yes Yes Yes

Yes it does, even openly calling someone a bigot shows you are intolerable to their opinion, surely this makes you more of a bigot for calling someone else one. Although I understand it depends on the subject. If the person who calls you a bigot also has an opinion on the certain subject in question, then they are definitely a bigot too, the fact that they called you out on your opposing opinion proves that they are intolerable of it.

• In the familiar scenario, yes.

I think it may be possible to identify bigotry without being a bigot. However, in the current and typical scenario, that is not the case. For example, in our age of political correctness it is typical for a LGBT supporter to identify a non-supporter as a bigot because of that non-support. In essence they are saying that to view non-heterosexual lifestyles as wrong is to be intolerant. But, the very act of viewing/labeling them as intolerant, is to be intolerant as well. Accordingly, to label someone a bigot typically means you are labeling yourself a bigot as well.

• Actions Speak Loudest.

Calling someone a bigot based on their acts of bigotry doesn't determine if you are a bigot too. You can call a person a bigot and still act tolerant towards said person. Even if that person is acting like a bigot towards you. I personally believe that this sounds more like a "tolerance of intolerance" point. The LGBT community is fighting this argument against people who do not wish to treat everyone equally because they disagree with them. You can disagree with me on something, and not kick me out of your store.

• Intolerance isn't to simply disagree.

Solely calling someone a bigot doesn't imply that the bigot isn't tolerated, especially if the person does indeed express bigotry. That would simply be stating a fact.

Tolerance: "showing willingness to allow the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with"

But, is it bigotry to not tolerate intolerance? To have someone disagree with you is one thing, but for them to not allow the existence of your thoughts or behaviors is not something that should be tolerated in return. The views or actions of bigots aren't tolerated because they're personally threatening, not because they're different.

• If I call a kettle black, does that make me a pot?

Nothing wrong with intolerance. I don't tolerate a political system and media that have favored corporate interests over the wellbeing of humans for quite some time, and I think we need more bigotry against the influence of money on government. Corporations are unnatural and shouldn't have human rights. Where in any religious book is it said that corporations should be treated equally with natural persons? Hopefully future generations will have developed an intolerance for abuse of power that many in this day and age have developed against their fellow man who may look or act differently than they do. Bigotry is abhorrent when used to attempt to take away the inalienable rights of human beings, which is what certain political groups have done by conflating social issues with their designs to increase their grip on political power through corruptive lobbying and dismantling representative government.

• If the Shoe Fits Wear It

If someone is a liar, what do you call them ? It's OK to call them a liar. A bigot is someone who has beliefs that are not based on truth, and they get mad if you don't accept and embrace what they TELL YOU. If that fits some people, then I guess they are bigots. Since when is telling the truth wrong ? Truth is stronger than love. Just throwing red paint on someone and saying they are red doesnt make them red. Your bigoted red accusations are painting people every day, but we should not recluse ourselves from calling them out for their brazen ignorant bigoted claims and lies.

• Discriminatory vs Discriminative

It all depends on what you and your community believe in.
    Let's put it this way, legal execution of a killer is not considered a bad thing, even though it is still a killing in reality.
    If you believe racial prejudices have no place in 21st century, saying it clearly doesn't make you a bigot in pejorative sense.
    To me, the idea of "fighting for equality" is an illusion, it is only about what part of society you want to be empowered.
    If "fighting for equality" is what you are after, I'd advise that you should stop using labeling anyone with a pejorative terms, and give your opponent "I do not agree with your view on it" kind of response

• It depends on context

If I use bigot as a noun, a label that denounces a persons views than yes I might be construed a bigot. Intolerant of anther's views. Another scenario may be if I use the adjective of the word and say this person has bigoted views. It does not denote bigotry on my part but an expression of how I see this persons opinion.

• Bigotry is virus

Bigotry is spreading like virus. Bigots needs to be told they are bigots. Its not intolerance, its truth. And by the polls here now 2 in every 3 person is a bigot and they know it.
    Lets not forget, we have civil right movements only few decades back and still the bigots and racist are among us. Only hope is new generation with more liberal education

• Being intolerant of intolerance is not intolerance itself.

This is often a ploy by people with hatred to project away themselves by accusing others that which they are guilty of.
    The racist white guy calling others racist for not tolerating his view of blacks or hispanics.
    The religious fundie call gays and gay allies as bigots for getting fed up with religion running amok with the idea of "religious freedom".
    People need to take stand against unfairness and be able to call out inequality where it exists.

• Equality isn't bigotry

In order to have a fully functioning, just society. People, particularly a minority, or group with limited representation, should have equal access to contribute to their community, while enjoying the protections and advantages of that society as equals.
    However, to deny a bigot from expressing his opinion, as odious as it may be, is bigotry.

• It’s absolutely not

Bigotry is not a disagreement. It is a state of mind where a person feels their opinion is the only truth and feels others with different beliefs or opinions are beneath them. And they sometimes even think others are less than human if they do not believe or think the way the bigot does