Attention: Debate.org is closing and the website will be shut down on June 5, 2022. New Topics can no longer be posted and Sign Up has been disabled. Existing Topics will still function as usual until the website is taken offline. Members can download their content by using the Download Data button in My Account.
  • Self selected group.

Yes, college is overrated, because most of the people who go to college are the harder workers to begin with. Is it any wonder that the people willing to work harder end up doing better in life because they continue to work harder once they are done with college? College doesn't teach anything special.

• That little photography certificate taught me more than my bachelor's in psychology did

I actually learned technical skills. Yeah, It is only photography/videography, But still, At least learning what all the features of photography, Including what things like ISO and shutter speed actually are taught me more than my bachelor's ever did. I went to school to learn more about music; the music department collapsed. I did not know what to do, I started studying psychology and sociology. Now I tutor it, Knowing that my students will never use the information I give them. I'm a hypocrite.

• Nursing is the only profession that makes college worthwhile, But otherwise. . .

College is overrated. Years ago, A bachelor's degree was a big advantage. Now, It's barely a minimum requirement, That might not even be enough for an entry-level job very soon. My advice for future generations: Learn a trade, There's not enough of us who are willing to go that route. That's coming from a Finance graduate, Another profession that lost it's value recently.

• Don't believe it? Look at the average amount of time a college student spends on certain activities.

The average college student only does 3. 3 hours of studying per weekday (including in-class lectures), With the majority of the rest of his time being spent on sleeping (8. 6 hours), Leisure (4 hours), And working and related activities (2. 5 hours). And with rising college costs as a result of inelastic demand for higher education, How is it that someone is putting in less effort than the average high schooler, Yet still somehow being "qualified" to specialize in a field of their preferences?

The real reason why people even want to go to college is because they buy into the idea that "a degree is a gateway to happiness". However, This only results in a system where colleges continue to con students and their parents into forking over large sums of money, Whilst still maintaining the illusion of a "higher academic setting". Furthermore, The idea that "wealth is happiness" is shallow, And everyone's definition of "happiness" differs based on their personality and interests.

• Complete Waste of Time

The pressure that people put on going to college is not necessary. You can get a degree and find out you don’t like it and get yourself in debt. Then you end up as a waiter. You can be at an apprenticeship and figure out if you don’t it from day one while getting paid. There are other career options besides college.

• Very very overrated

It's become a waste for most people because the odds of getting a paying job after is drowning into oblivion. Also it's fiscally irresponsible that they are allowed to load kids up with debt that had they asked the same amount for a house they'd be laughed out of the bank(and the aforementioned debt being bankruptcy proof is dangerous too). It's also a ticking time bomb ready to explode as there's over a trillion dollars(and growing) that's currently out with people who will never be able to pay it back. Before the college boom, you could go to high school and get a fine paying factory job. Then those people went to capital hill, assed nafta, and screwed america. Now going to college is equivalent to high school as it was 40 years ago(except it's loaded with huge debt)

• College is highly overrated

College education can be useful for someone who has a specific career path that requires that kind of education, but overall it is overrated. Much can be learned from life experience as well as being an apprentice to a master in a craft you would like to pursue. College eduation has become more expensive than it in truly worth.

• Student Loan Debt is Crippling

College is extremely overrated. The job market is garbage as it has been for years. Telling kids they need to go to college to get a job and be a success leads to a huge overstock of people with degrees for a fairly fixed number of careers. Even those that do manage to find a career in their field get to start their adult life with an absolutely enormous amount of debt which is going to eat away at their finances for decades to come. College is not the only option that so many people cliam it to be.

• College is not over rated

College can help many people. It can help people with what they want to do in life. It can take you on a journey, your adulthood. It will help pick your career and what path to take. College puts your decisions in front of everything and helps you see what is really important. In conclusion, you should certainly go to college, it makes everything better.

• Not Overrated At All

Having attended college for three years, I would love to finish my bachelors but I lack the funding to do so, given that it is extremely difficult to raise a family, work full time, and attend college. I simply can't do it. I found college to be very enlightening and I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about going.