• It is a choice.

Studies have shown that only liberals are depressed because liberals choose to be sad and angry at everything and everyone in life. That's why most liberals are protesters and rioters and shoot up schools, While conservatives usually believe in nature conservation, Hence their title. Nature is inherently not depressed, Therefore depression is not natural so you have to induce depression to become depressed.

• It is a choice

We people live through choices. Our life depends on what we people decide. Now, If you choose to look on the positive sides of life you'll not get depressed at all, Yes, You may feel sad but it'll not get to the point that your depressed because you chose to live happily. If you chose to look and live with all the negativity, Yes you'll get depressed of course. Why? Because you chose to live with it. That's my PERSPECTIVE AND MY OWN OPINION.

• You are choosing to feel the way you are.

You can tell yourself you are depressed over and over. Example:family matter like a divorce of parents can what you could say is making someone depressed but really there are other people that wake up in the morning everyday feeling that exact same about a family matter. There are people everyday that could be depressed but are not because they choose to live the best way they can live knowing if they feel sad they won't be able to fulfill their life goals and being able to be happy all the time you need to be happy.

• Live or die?

Too many people THINK they are depressed, When in fact in reality they are NOT experiencing anything worse that 1000's of others that get up in the morning - and get on with life.
    We ALL have problems. Its just that some (most) of us GET ON with it - get out - do our jobs, And carry on.

If - on the other hand we succumb to these "normal problems" in life - and seek so called professional help -- the "oh dear doctor - I feel so depressed " - The "easy way" out for everyone is to say - "oh dear poor you" … comes trotting out. . And so now we are on the slippery slope to being made to feel even worse - aided of course my medication. .
    And NOW YOU ARE TRAPPED - an endless cycle of feeling depressed (when in reality - you are just afraid of "getting in with it" ) - and further and further intensive " convincing that you ARE depressed" by so called experts

A never ending cycle of self pity - aided by medication and so called advice from therapists … when in fact being told that life is hard for us all!

• Depression is a choice...

In order for you not to be depressed, you can just say "I'm not depressed." It is not forced upon and you can choose not to be. It is a chemical imbalance in the that is stopped if you simply choose not to think those thoughts. Nobody forces you to think, that would be mind control, which as far as I'm aware we're all humans and animals that don't have that ability here. It can be persuaded and sometimes stronger than others, but it is laziness if you let yourself be depressed because I promise you that you don't have to be if you just get up and choose to start thinking differently.

• I'm not saying depression is not a real problem, but for the vast majority of younger teens it is usually a normal feeling

For some reason everyone around my age now has depression. And not only that, but many go straight towards drugs to try to "fix" themselves. Using drugs as a crutch in life, is going to have consequences.

These emotions of not feeling worth, being sad, wanting to die are pretty normal. We're all insecure as human beings, and depending on what you've experienced in life that could make it a bit rougher for you. For example bullying, growing up in a rough household, losing someone close to you. We all have something wrong with us, we aren't supposed to be this perfect specimen, you all want to be.

Now it's your choice if you let it define you. You can make yourself wake up in the morning. You can make yourself apply for jobs. You can make yourself some breakfast. You can stop focusing on the things you dislike about yourself. You are NOT being held down against your will, you are not paralyzed and confined in your bedroom or a chair. You can start slow, think good thoughts. Think positive. I may sound ridiculous to some of you, but little things like this make a huge difference.

I was someone who never left my room, didn't eat, never changed my clothes. I wanted to end my life, I had written my letter and visualized how I would do it. I have sympathy because whether or not you believe depression is a choice, I've experienced to some extent what others have.

I'm here today because I chose not to listen to my thoughts, I chose to tell myself I had a purpose. I want to make my mother happy, and that's what keeps me happy. Getting closer and closer to goals I have set up. Yes it's not an easy process, I struggle with social anxiety as well that is self induced from the lack of socializing I did when I was younger due to my bout with "depression". I'm working in health care, which may come as a shock to you all but no I will never impose my personal beliefs of depression being a choice on anyone. I realize that's insensitive, and would be disgusting of me.

In the end I don't care if you agree with me or not, as long as you find happiness I'm happy because everyone deserves that.

• Depression the emotion is a choice but...

Depends on what kind of depression we are talking about. If it's the human emotion of being depressed which has a cause and effect then yes you have the power to choose whether you will be depressed. If we are talking a chemical imbalance due to physiological changes in the bodies brain activity then no a person does not have a choice but it can be remedied with the help of a great diet, physical exercise, abstaining from mood altering chemicals, and therapy. Some people choose drugs and in a small percentage of diagnosed depression drugs could be of assistance short or long term.

• Meanwhile... In California.

I won't lie, I am totally depressed and lonely. I will not go into the details of my current pathetic existence. However, I know what is wrong yet I am not doing anything about it. I have tools I could use to stop. (medication, habits, exercise) The "depression" isn't making me not want to be depressed. I'm just waiting...For what? I do not know. For the time being, I shall remain depressed because I choose to.

On the other hand, YOU HAVE A CHOICE FOR EVERYTHING! NO EXCUSES! Except cancer...You have no choice with cancer...

• Can we educate ourselves for once

Most ''YES'' and ''NO'' arguments are assumptions based on ''primal intuitive'' understanding of a very complex and media distorted condition. Depression IS NOT a feeling. It is not a fleeting sadness caused by external circumstances. The misuse of the term ''depression'' to refer to sadness and/or to hyperbolize a case of mere disappointment is perpetuating the idea that depression and negative feelings are one and the same when it IS NOT.

I'm also sick of people without scientific background constantly referring to depression as a chemical imbalance when the causal relationship (even correlation) between the two has never been established. The term ''chemical imbalance'' is not even labelled by the NCBI database. It shows that ''chemical imbalance'' has no scientific significance due to the lack of rigorous methodology in place to prove its existence. Psychiatry is a pseudo-science.

Depression is A NEAR-PERMANENT STATE OF BEING, OF TORMENT AND ANGUISH. I choose what I think. I choose what I do, but I don't choose how my soul gets to be tortured or what intrusive thoughts are being suggested to me. I've been living in this state, this first chapter of Hell, for more than a decade despite being ''functional'' and being able to play the role of a ''normal'' female citizen.

Ask yourselves, if I can recover in an instant, why wouldn't I choose the easiest path that leads to health? Since I have some last minute studying to do, I'm just going to leave it here.

• It Is Not

Depression, particularly depression in children, can be the result of genetics. A common trait found among persons with depressive tendencies---including suicide---is an excess of serotonin receptors in the brain. Because such individuals have this excess of receptors, they require higher quantities of serotonin (and other similar chemicals) than the average person to stabilize their mood. The only way to acquire excess serotonin receptors is to be born with them. While environmental factors can definitely contribute to a depressive personality, it is possible to be born with a predisposition to this disorder, just like schizophrenia or autism or ADHD or any like condition.

• In general, depression is not a choice to choose.

Psychologists refer occurrence of depression to numerous factors such as environment , seasons, genetics and sometimes pretence of being depressed to get advantages of people around you.
    Other considerable factor is the strong relationship between suppressed anger and being depressed.
    To sum up,Hopefully depression is diagnosable and treatable easily by referring to an specialist.

• A chemical imbalance is not a choice

If you honestly think depression is a choice, go fuck yourself. Im sure half of you have no idea how depression feels. Do you honestly think people enjoy being sad for absolutely no reason? Obviously not. Medicine has been proven to help because it is a mental disorder..A disease. If someone had cancer, would you tell them to just stop having cancer? Hell no.

• Depression deals with the brain

YOU can believe that you have depression but you cant choose it. It is said to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. So there fore I believe that it is not a choice. It can be treated but that still doesn't mean you can go out and tell everyone you have depression Yes some people have serious depression but they didn't choose.

• Its overwhelming!

People that say depression is a choice are strictly ignorant. If you tell me to just think happy thoughts, That doesn't really work. Its an imbalance. Same with ptsd, When someone is thinking back on abuse or troubling times of their life, You can't just say don't think about it. Depression isn't something you want or you should romanticize. It is you, Overwhelmed by a nothing cloud. You feel numb, But depressed. You can't make yourself think happy because it just doesn't work that way.

• It is not a choice.

I got diagnosed with depression as an 8 year old child living a happy, Normal life. Depression, The feeling, Aka sadness is a choice. You can feel “depressed” and “sad” over a breakup and go out with friends, Go get food and watch a movie and you’ll feel better in a couple days or weeks. But the mental illness is much more complicated than that. It’s much more than choosing to focus on the negative. It’s much more than choosing to have a “negative mindset. ” There’s a stigma around mental illnesses and once people choose to educate themselves on what they are exactly, Then maybe they’ll realize it isn’t a choice. There’s a lot more to it than it just being sad over a situation or not looking at the upside of things. If that were the case, No one would have it. Why would anyone choose to have something like that? Why would anyone go as far as trying to end their lives if they could simple “just focus on the positive”. Anyone who thinks it’s a choice sounds dumb.

• I have it

I got diagnosed with depression as an 8 year old child. I lived with my parents and it was the happiest moments of my life. I still feel happy feelings, Think happy thoughts, I can function and I can feel and think positive things. But I still have depression. It still comes up randomly. I could be at a family gathering surrounded by love and joy and it would hit me out of nowhere. It’s an indescribable feeling. It’s more than just a “negative mindset” or being a negative person. If people actually wanted to educate themselves on it they would know it’s more than just focusing on the bad of things and choosing to be unhappy. It’s not a choice

• Why would anyone choose to have depression?

LOL. It's like wanting to commit suicide and choosing to end your life. Technically yes it is a choice but people don't choose to end to end their life if they are okay what. Isn't it? And you can choose to "feel" happy about the sad things in life what. We are all human. HOOMAN. Now stop being an idiot.

• No one chooses to have a mental illness.

I have dealt with depression my entire life. I've self harmed. I've wanted to die more times than I can count. If I could just choose to not have depression, I would in a heartbeat because feeling worthless and like not a single person cares about you or would care if you died is such a shitty feeling. No one wants to feel like that. Telling someone with depression that they can just choose to be happy, that it will just go away, to exercise, eat healthy, that they have no reason to be depressed because their life is so happy is like telling someone with asthma that they should just go outside, take deep breaths, that they have no reason to have asthma because there is so much air to breathe. It's rude, insensitive, and just plain ignorant.

>