• Sound In Time

Music in it's most basic form is defined as sound organized in time. I don't know many people that can sit down and write out a whole piece, nonetheless play a whole piece as complicated as Dub step is. If you really look at what is all happening in a Dub step song you can see very complex musical theory being used as well as some quite amazing rythyms. And somehow it sounds amazing, even if half the time it is mixed in one sitting, on one single track.

• Dubstep IS real music.

I believe Dubstep is real music because its much harder than regular singers, like Justin Bieber, except for The Beatles and all those guys. All my friends say its stupid and isn't even music! It's the only kind of music I listen to! All the everyday singers use Voice Over or whatever it's called. Its like they pick people up off the streets, it's just an outrage!

• Of course it is.

If you ever have attempted to create dubstep, you would know that it takes a lot of skill and knowledge (musical talent, music theory, creativity, knowledge of dubstep's structure, sound synthesis, mixing and other production techniques). Also having a sense of rhythm is, especially in dubstep, very important, as dubstep is very rhythmic and uses triplets and syncopes. Also there actually are real instruments in most dubstep tracks. But where is the difference between an instrument generating frequencies and a computer doing it? Producers, in most cases, even produce their sounds (real instruments excluded, because it's nearly impossible to synthesize them without exactly knowing the waveform etc.), themselves, which can be really complex. What matters if there are people that like those sounds and that is the case. Also I bet there are enough people which don't like the sound of e.g. trumpets, is music with trumpets no music, just because there are some people, which don't like the sound of trumpets? No, it, indeed, is music. I play two instruments, (electric) guitar and violin, since many years (violin like 5 or 6 years and guitar for like 9 years) and I also have played piano for some years. My family has a big (classical) music background, one of my ancestors was a pupil of one of the Bach sons, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I do like lots of genres (classic music, orchestral music, rock, metal and also dubstep and chiptunes) and I also produce dubstep, but there are dubstep producers which are way better than I am. This is one my latest works:

https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=gOtDB-5SRdE

Yes, this is dubstep, being more specifically it's chillstep, a subgenre of dubstep, where the bass is a bit more decent, but I also like normal dubstep (Virtual Riot, Au5, Razihel, Krewella to name some). I bet that most of you couldn't even compose the piano intro of my track.

• It Absolutely is

Its all about taste. Everyone has their own taste. People really dont seem to know what it is. A lot of people get it confused with House music. A lot of people say its just noise and requires no talent. I happen to have a friend who makes dubstep and it is very complicated. First off like any music you have to have an ear for beats and Melody. People say dubstep is not music. Well this is dubstep:

https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=GyWfjEa2fw8

thats not usually what people think dubstep to be. But dubstep does sound like this. It's called chillstep and it is absolutely beautiful music.

• Dubstep is real music

Sure a lot of people think it is not real music but it is music you can actually dance too instead of playing boring classic music that you don't dance to. Some people think you only need to find beats on the computer but there is more to that. My dad created the company so I guess I know more than you think you do. I know people think you should use "instruments" for this but you are so used to the instruments we have today that you think we shouldn't have new ones. A lot of singers are using dubstep anyways and it's helping them a lot. Dubstep is real music and if you don't think so, you don't have a very good sense of humour

• Dubstep is real music

Even though a lot of people think it is not real music it is actually music that you can finally dance for real to instead of just playing fancy classic music, you get so bored you end up chatting with others sometimes leaving and you can't dance to it. A lot of famous singers are using dubstep. I know some people think you only just find beats on a computer and it's done but I know more to it than they do because Dubstep is my dad's company he was the one that created it. There is more than you think you need real talent to be able to do this some people think it is easy but it is not. Maybe some people think you need "instruments" to make real music but it's because you are so used to the instruments we have today that you don't think we should make new instruments. So I say yes dubstep is real music and if you don't think so you just don't have a very good sense of humour

• Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't count

Too many people discount dubstep as an official genre of music simply because of one factor. They don't like how it sounds.
    But music is defined as vocal/instrumental sounds combined in such a way to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Dubstep easily fits this definition because it can convey emotion as well as incorporate a beauty of form.
    Some say dubstep is too easy to create, that it doesn't take real talent, but they are wrong. It is only the good dubstep that comes from well-talented artists. This is the same rule that any other music follows. However, when an untalented non-dubstep artist composes a horrible song, no one complains that it shouldn't be considered music. They just don't listen to it, and maybe make fun of it.
    Additionally, remember that there are so many pop artists now that follow similar patterns. Keeping the focus on dubstep is unfair because so many other artists lack originality and still make it big. (Think Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Britney Spears.) Dubstep introduces something fresh to the music industry, and it makes GREAT party and dance music.

• Music comes in many shapes and forms.

Dubstep is real music, rather you like It or not, music comes in many shapes and forms, no matter the sound, its real music, just like classical, hip hop, rap, metal, death metal, and all genres of music are real, so you people need to stop implying that Dubstep is not real music, get with the program.

• Rhythmic, Planned and mildly mathmatic

Though I dislike its musical genre I wont deny its musicality. The essentials are present and it can produce the synapse to respond in the correct way. In the shortest possible way and without waffling on: it is music but not to many peoples taste. Accapella is music disliked by many, but I still enjoy it above dub-step. If this question was to ask if we as a debating community enjoy it, I suggest different grammar.

• Music insists on a Rythem.

Of course it is, it has a beat and any thing with a beat can be considered music, sure it could sound like crap but it could be considered music like a child with an instument it, or even just someone in general if you can strum a guitar you can make music.

• Oh heck yeah,

I listen to dubstep music all of the time. I know this is true because there is a comosition by Bach in dubstep, and i will not ignore the fact that dubstep is as real as Texarkana and Juneau. The dub is really real, and you are an unreasonably hypocrytical if you think not

• It is real

Yes dub step music is real its just like a remix of a song. With a different and crazy beat to it. Dub step is OK its not the best but i do think that dub step music is real. So yes it is real it is not that good of music but its real.

• If it wasn't, Skrillex would be broke

Skilled has many albums, and Dubstep has become a big part of our culture. Some of Skrillex's hits are, "Reptile", "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites", and "F&$@ing DIE". Plus, dubstep is legit. It makes us feel really, really, really futuristic. Many commercials use dub step too, so proclaiming it not to be music would hurt their business.

• Of course its music

If you do not like rap it is still music same with dubstep. Music does not need emotion or expression of oneself (does not mean it can not have emotion). Abstract art probably is not an expression of oneself it can try to have emotion but that is not necessary. Music is art and dubstep is art even if you do not like it. Also listen to a lot of edm (electronic dance music) before judging all of it. It takes skill to stop from being repetitive bad. (Some dubstep has vocals)

• Yes it should

Yes because if there is sound it can't but there is so it is music. There is more sound then singing but there is nice sounds there are club music and that is like dubstep there are more then just random beats and it is all good when thy are together.

• All sound can be music.

Regardless of the supporting argument in the headline above, dubstep is, was and always will be music for as long as you perceive it to be.
    Dubstep is created on computers, which replicate sounds made by things on earth. If, and since these sounds follow a precise pattern, which creates a rhythm, than yes, Dubstep is music.
    If it's not musical to you, you need to A: open up your ideals of what music is, was and should be, or
    B: take more drugs.
    I recommend the latter.

Posted by: i1
  • Dubstep is very much so a form of music.

Although I don't exactly enjoy the more aggressive forms of dubstep that is what most people represent dubstep as, I have to say that dubstep is music. My friend is a classically trained musician that listens to dubstep regularly and we had an argument regarding as to whether or not it is music - his position was that "music is a set of sounds sequenced with melody, rhythm, and harmony." I had nothing to say back.

Some people say that dubstep is just a bunch of noises slapped together on a computer. I'm an electronic music producer (downtempo) that tried to make dubstep once, and I must say that well-made dubstep is structured in a very meticulous form that is not easy to create in any way, shape, or form whatsoever; the same goes for any other genre of music, really. If anything, dubstep is just as difficult to compose as classical music, as they can both have the same elements. The easiest part of making dubstep, perhaps, is turning on the computer.

"dubstep is so simple"
    What makes dubstep what it is is a 140 beat-per-minute tempo and two-step style drums, I believe. The drums themselves actually take quite some time to put together without sounding repetitive and boring. The beat of a dubstep track placed against a simple bass melody would be the equivalent of a steady timpani beat in conjunction with a simple violin playing on its own. As you can see, orchestral music can be just as simple.

I have to respect Skrillex quite a bit because I finally understood how difficult electronic music was to make after buying my first copy of FL Studio, and if you've ever seen how Skrillex makes his music, the amount of detail placed into his tracks is enormous. For every little modulation of the "broken vacuum cleaner" noise, a knob has to be turned. With perfect timing. And based on how many times the frequency, pitch, and volume of the "broken vacuum cleaner" noise one can hear in his tracks (not to mention all the atmospheric accents he places along with the synths), it's quite easy to tell that the sounds he makes are not easy to make at all. I can't call his tracks' drops music per se since they don't always have a clear melody or rhythm. And I don't enjoy listening to his tracks.

• Dubstep is music!

Although it may sound like a bunch of random noises it is however music. Have you ever seen a commercial maybe where maybe a car alarm goes off and then someone starts clapping and someone hits the roof of the car and so on creating music. If you look at it this way dubstep's instrument is a computer because that's how dubstep is made, on a computer. So you see music is music from little kids banging pots to huge symphony's with many instruments.

• Yep, it's music.

Dubstep is real music, it's just going through the exact same hate that rock 'n roll had to go through when it was first introduced. Dubstep is a subgenre of EDM (Electronic Dance Music) and it has a rhythm, it has different keys and it can also have vocals. So yeah, dubstep is music, in an electronic form.

• Why won't it?

It has a beat, it has rhythm, it has harmony (since multiple sounds are playing at the same time) . Seems like music to me. Whether it's good or bad is up to you to decide for yourself but I can tell you this is indeed music. Just because you hate it does not mean it is not music.

• It can be considered music

A few years ago I used to hate Dubstep, for the same reasons I see here. "Real music needs instruments!" "It's sounds like a confusing mess!" Over the years I've slowly been listening to more Dubstep and looking further and further into how to make it. Dubstep is a lot more than just moving little sliders up and down, and there is indeed musical structure. Buildup-Drop-break-buildup-drop-end. Nowhere is it written as a law that music must have an actual instrument or vocals.

• Music is sound. Sound can be harsh.

People are saying "You need instruments for music"
    Define "instrument" for me please. An instrument can be virtual.
    Also people are saying "Music requires talent". 3 things I have to say.
    Talent is subjective, That's not true, and dubstep can require talent.
    I could say Van Gogh didn't make art because art requires talent and he used multi-colored brushes or something dumb like that which we can't go and check, the worst part is that you can check with dubstep and it isn't randomly pressing the letter Y on your keyboard.
    Check this guy out www.youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

• Shut up haters!

I producer dubstep and other genres of music. I can confirm that it is music. It is a lot harder to make music electronically than it is to play a real instrument for me. You have to do sound design, not just use a preset on a keyboard. Its like saying that a drawing done in chalk isn't a drawing because 'you are meant to use pencil'. Just because you are used to one thing, doesn't mean you should hate on it because it is new to you. You don't just click one button and boom, music! NO! YOU HAVE TO WORK! You have to improve. You mainly need to play an instrument anyway to have a clear understanding of dubstep.

• It's Catchy and EPIC

DUBSTEP IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L love the way it addicts you to the drops and crazy beats and yeah... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH DUBSTEP!

It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC It's Catchy and EPIC

• Dubstep IS music

Many people say that dubstep isnt music and that it takes no talent. That is wrong, it takes talent, hard work, and patience. You cant just put random sounds together and call it dubstep. It needs time (rhythm) and the right pitches. People who create dubstep should be reconised for their work.

• How could it be music?

Music is defined by "the science of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity through the use of either instruments or vocals (or both)" Unless the Dubstep track has vocals or includes at least one instrument it can't be music, imo.

• Its really not

Music is made from noises and sounds fitting together. It requires actual effort. Dubstep is computer generated noises. The only thing required there is computer skills. Theres a BIG difference between computer software and music making. Music also requires cordination and a sense of rythem and beat. Using a computer does not.

• Not Much Creativity

In my personal opinion, real music is made from the heart and soul; music gives us the power to express our emotions or to tell a story. Real music is played on instruments that don't require electrical wires or strobe lights. It doesn't take much work these days to put together just one song. Computer-generated beats and autotuned voices just don't cut it for me.

Posted by: S.K
  • If it is music, its crap music

Ha, the genre doesn't even use real instruments its all technological, Dubstep is for morons who don't know what real music is. Its nothing compared to genres like metal, classical, orchestra, rock, etc. Don't get me wrong I listen to things like techno and trance but atleast those are actually somewhat decent!

• Hardly a genre as well

Really, Dubstep is not music and for sure not a genre. It is just computer generated sounds but some person(s) who think they are cool. You never see a live Dubstep concert, that is what makes music, the ability to see them live, I hate to admit it but even Country or Rap is worthy. But this is noise, Metal and rock and anything with melody and harmony is real music.

• It's a matter of Preference

I believe that dubstep is real music, but many people aren't ready to admit it. I feel like people try to cling to physical instruments and singing to not let the culture die, which it will not. Dubstep, pop, jazz, whatever- i's all music, and music simply doesn't just "die," because there will always be fans of a certain genre. I was introduced to dubstep almost four years ago, and ever since then I have been in love with it. Honestly, I think some people need to just, give it a try. Like, a real, heartfelt, try. Not an "I'm gonna listen to this so they stop yelling at me to give it a try." I am the only person who likes dubstep in my family, my mom and dad- older rock songs. My brother- pop and rap. Dubstep isn't that far off from those genres, anyways. Dubstep is not only hardcore ear-killer songs, but there are also halfway-upbeat rap kind of songs as a transition into things like "Out of Time" By Excision ft. Dion Timmer & Splitbreed.

At least, That's how I see it. Thank you for reading.

• Of course not.

You can like dubstep and I don't have anything against you. But it's not music, music needs either instruments or singing or both. A computer generating different sounds and frequencies is not a music it's exactly what it is, a computer generating sounds and frequencies. If it doesn't have singing or it doesn't have an instrument it isn't music, plain and simple. There's nothing wrong with it but I'm just saying, it's using a computer not making music.

• Its no where near music

Dubsteb isn't music, its just a bunch of angry computer generated sounds all mashed together in one big mash and sounds terrible. There's not even any talent involved in it, anyone can grab an auto tuner and say (not sing) random words to scramble in with the rest of the stupid sounds. And if this stupid Dubsted is the sounds in what people listen to, then the next generation of children will be listening to just static noises or white noise.

• Dubstep is generated, Music is made

All that Skrillex does is press some buttons on a computer and puts some random beats into the score, and bam! Dubstep is born. Music is thought out, and contemplated, when you make music you run into mistakes and it takes time, There is so many dubstep songs it is not even taking time to think.

• Listen to it.

Dubstep is anything BUT music. It sounds as if techno and a broken factory machine tried to have a baby. Much dubstep consists of overpowered bass, driving and distracting beats, and lacking melodies. While some others may consider this horrible atrocity music, it is poor music to say the least.

• This isn't music!

Being born in the year 1998 which means I was mostly exposed to electronic music,I have to say that after I descovered music genres like classic,rock and metal,I realised that dubstep(and not only dubstep,every electronic music) makes me feel like that music is lacking any emotion.I would love to see a good live performance by a talented guy with an instrument being it a guitar,bass,piano,even triangle rather than seeing a guy with a laptop playing music from Windows media player or Winamp.Make a group of guitar players to play a solo or a riff,and it will always sound slightly different.Electronic music takes away the human factor,which is enough for me to not consider it music.

• No, Factually it is not music

Dubstep does not fall under the category of music. It has rhythm and that’s about the only “qualified” it contains to be considered music. It does not have melody, Harmony, Timbre, Dynamics, Pitch, Tone color.
    Sound engineering is a more accurate term and most “DJ’s” aren’t actually DJs. The term DJ is disc jockey. These artists don’t use actual live turn tables for the most part minus a few exceptions (like tipper). Dubstep, I am sorry, Is simply not music. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, But under the definition of music it has 1 of the 8 elements

• All modern music is crap.

Dubstep, above all other modern genres, is the worst, as it rarely uses actual instruments or vocals. Also, it just sounds TERRIBLE! If you want to listen to some real music, go back to the 1990s or 80s. However, dubstep can be OKAY in films or video games if the other content matches that 'sci-fi' tone.

• It is BULLSHIT

Of course it is not music, it is an arrangement of sounds (which admittedly is the definition of music) but the fact it is created on a computer prevents the creators of dubstep from being considered musicians. Dubstep writers are closer to being sound engineers, which are found on all types of genres and aren't usually given royalties. Therefore, dubstep is written by sound engineers not musicians and, as such, do not create music

• Dubstep is Not Music Whatsoever!

Dubstep is not music, I don't care what you say otherwise. Dubstep is NOT music. To make music you need an instrument! An instrument is not a computer. A computer is a computer, it's an electronic. An instrument is something meant to produce music, something to make music. I will say right now, that Dubstep is very very very easy to make compared to actual music. I have tried to make an arrangement for one of my favorite songs, and it took months! In fact I am still working on it now here is the link: https://musescore.com/user/2190811/scores/1031161 . To make Dubstep, the computer does it for you. The only thing you change is the time, tone (high or low), and the sound. To make a Dubstep "song" it could take you from a few hours to a few days to finish. Also for some of you that are saying that music is a sound to a beat you are correct and wrong. Music makes melodies and frequent key changes and time changes (not the tempo. 4/4, 3/4, etc...). Beats are everywhere, we even walk to our own beat. If we are walking a certain beat or tempo, the sound of our feet does not make music, they are just sounds put to a beat. Also you wonder why there are never any "Dubstep concerts"? It's because that is because it has to be made in a computer not on a DJ stand. Again Dubstep is not music, nor will it ever be.

• It has no rhythm and requires no skill.

I'm not stating that it doesn't take time and effort to create, but I am stating that f****** around on a keyboard for 2 hours does not make something a song. I get that it is a new thing for the new generation but a friend of mine just compared it to the rock and roll revolution, and I lost it. Just because you can feel the vibrations and enjoy the light show does not make something a musical experience

Anonymous says2016-01-19T13:30:26.417
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQ-GMrrb4U
Anonymous says2016-02-01T20:53:30.347
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og696iiL_rU