• I make dubstep

As a producer i say to everyone who thinks its easy, Go to your computer, And make me a good dubstep song, Once you fail you'll see, Its not. You use drums, Instruments, Vocals, Bass, You make melodies, Everything you use in a normal song! You make dubstep the same way you make a rap beat. On a computer, If you call dubstep not music, May as well call Rap, Trance, Edm, And much more, Not music. There is so much talent and time put into dubstep, If you don't like it thats fine, But don't go around saying its not music. Dubstep wins this debate by far.

• I make dubstep

• Of course its music

It doesn't matter how the sounds were made but as long as they are sounds then it must be music. A bunch of random sounds made using kitchen appliances might not sound good but its still music so if that can be seen as music then why can't DUBSTEP!

• Dubstep is music

It is music because it has everything music with "instruments" has rythm, beat etc... And if you say it needs to have lyrics then what is instrumental music. People say that because it's made with a computer it's not music but if you play jazz on your phone is it still music? A computer (your phone) is still making it but it's still jazz.

• Dubstep is music

• Dubstep is made by people not computers

For all of you saying "Dubstep is generated by computers" you are just plain wrong. The computer is just a tool that a HUMAN uses to make Dubstep. Same thing with "real music". The guitar doesn't make the music, the human does. And with any tool really. A razor doesn't shave your beard, you shave your own beard with the razor.

• Yes it's a music

Based on Wikipedia, Music is an art form and cultural activity whose medium is sound organized in time. The common elements of music are pitch rhythm dynamics (loudness and softness), and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture (which are sometimes termed the "color" of a musical sound). So it means yes.
    And for you guys who said its not requiring any skills, expression, you're just can't identify it as an "art" in your ear, while the "art" itself is relative in my opinion,
    and if you say no real instruments, well, what is instrument? According to wikipedia again, A musical instrument is an instrument created or adapted to make musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can be considered a musical instrument; it is through purpose that the object becomes a musical instrument.
    So, yeah, its just you cant accept that someone is enjoying what they want/like to hear because you dont have the ability to IDENTIFY IT AS MUSIC

• Yes it's a music

• Dubstep is music, people that say “no” are dumb.

People think it isn’t music because its made with a computer.
    But the sounds are mostly instruments like: Drums, keyboards!
    The keyboards have presets like a Bass or something! And people say that DJ’s make music... But they dont use instrument either! And if that is called music, then dubstep also is!

• Is country really music?

No, because it's just a bunch of terrible guitars stuck together, and no time was spent on it. Dubstep is music because it takes a incredible amount of time to make, and most dubstep producers spend actual time creating their instruments, modeling their effects, and keep on trying to improve.

• Dubstep is NOT music

Dubstep is not musical until a real instrument is utilized. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool musician. I'm listening to Jazz as I type this. My greatest conflict with dubstep is that it can be done without looking at a sheet of staff paper or plucking a string. Is a dubstep artist considered a musician? They don't touch instruments. If the creator isn't a musician, the product couldn't be music.

• No Structure or melody.

It's just a bunch of noises and exaggerated bass. It doesn't take ANY talent whatsoever. It's just noise. How the hell do you dance to it without looking like a noodle? It does have some singing but it's just a repeated word that is either really really high or low.

• Based on the Definition of Music

My dictionary states that music is "vocal or instrumental sounds combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion." That being said, computers cannot produce expression of emotion, and as far as I can see dubstep is not beautiful, simply stimulating to some people. Therefore, falling back on technicalities, dubstep is NOT music.

• Dubstep is not music

Is dubstep really music? Think about it. No musical instruments are used. Only a computer and a person. A computer is not an instrument. For all you dubstep lovers out there get your head out of the clouds and back down to logical land. Dubstep is merely annoying sounds blended together. There is a difference between DJs and musicians. I can tell you for sure that anyone who makes dubstep is more like a "technician" rather than a musician. There are no authentic instrumental sounds in dubstep. I can't stress this enough. DUBSTEP IS NOT MUSIC.

• Do I even need to explain?

The fact that there are no REAL instruments sickens me. You can pull up a series of notes that will ALWAYS SOUND GOOD TOGETHER (E.G. They are all in the same key or they work with the key or scale that they are using). And to the majority that say that most dubstep creators are experienced in playing instruments and know musical theory: that's great, I hope they do. Let me propose a question; if they know how to play piano so well, why do they need to make dubstep? If they can make REAL music with REAL instruments. Please note that I do understand that an electric keyboard which is imbued with the power of the synth is basically the same thing as a computer generated song. The difference in my eyes is that you can take the skills from the electric keyboard and use them on a real piano; that you cannot do on a laptop (spare me if I say MacBook, just kidding. Not gonna rant about Apple products..). And I have had dubstep advocates say that dubstep is music based solely on the fact that one can consider nature sounds to be music. Music, as defined by many knowledgeable people (I'll put a link at the bottom), is a property of speech and that is how we perceive music as bad or good. The fact that music is almost always made to convey emotions backs this theory up. I can only think of one emotion that dubstep conveys: disgust. One other thing that I found funny was that spell check tried to correct 'dubstep' to 'dumpster', the place that it truly belongs. That isn't a complete reason, but hey.

Here's the link I promised:
    http://whatismusic.Info/

• Genres are equivocation these days

And it has been for a long time, as long when some peanut gallery is going to mislead the use of a term with more than one meaning or sense. An example would be when Skrillex calls his music dubstep when clearly his music isn't in fact dubbed that's misleading compare to some DJ artist like Skream who plays authentic dubstep music. I don't listen to these types of music but I have listen a few sample to tell you there is a difference and that I'm gladly to say I can careless about this particular genera; at any rate I prefer to listen to more real music that is more melodic and unique.

• Dubstep is NOT music

Music is an art form, yes. It is open and subject to each individual's interpretation. However, music is as much of a science as an art. There are rules to music. There is structure. Even if a musician doesn't know exactly what the rules are, they realize when they've broken one and it sounds like trash. Dubstep follows none of these rules. Is it an art form? Yes. Does it have its own purpose and place in the world of music? YES! Dubstep is a great tool to be used to compliment actual music, but it on its own is lacking certain important qualities for it to be music.

• Dubstep is not music.

Music by definition is a vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion. Music can be formed by instruments and or someones vocal cords. From the genre of the music like smooth jazz, pop and or metal. Anything that creates song or rhythm is classified as music. The main idea of the theory is that music is a Super stimulus for the perception of musicality, where "musicality" is actually a perceived property of speech. "Musicality" refers to the property of music that determines how "good" it is, how strong an emotional effect it has, and how much we enjoy listening to it. Using a music note paper and creating clefs like triple or even bass is not classified as music only because the notes are only on a piece of paper but can hear the rhythm or the sound of the notes in the paper. But if you make the paper into a song or a rhythm or piano, guitar, flute etc then that is classified as a piece of music. Even though if the music itself is horrible or just a rough draft. The song from hearing is classified as a piece of music. But can dance be classified as music? In other words, dance is not just something which accompanies music, dance actually is music. Music is a super-stimulus for aspects of speech perception, but speech perception is not just the perception of sounds: it also includes perception of the speaker's movements such as facial expressions, body language and hand gestures. Dance can be identified as the super-stimulus for this component of speech perception.
    Even though from a dance club or other dance activites sometimes can be really classified as music. Only because having “dance class” and have tap shoes. Is music. Only because you're using your movements and sound of the shoes to make a rhythm of the song or artist. Which is music. But think about how the artist makes the music, for example. Some artist have a type of tecno or sound to make the music stand out. Or have it stand out when the music is 100% complete.They're all kinds of sounds that make music. Well music. So my definition dubstep cannot be classified as music. Maybe another word. But to make dubstep takes no skill then using real instruments. Then a piece of electric. Like a laptop. Then a flute or guitar or even vocals. Its pretty simple to realize when you hear a dubstep song. Then a jazz song.

• DJ's aren't artists.

It does not take any aptitude of talent to be a good DJ, or to make a good song. Anyone can do it, and that's great. But it's not music, it's dubstep on it's own. A 12 yo with a Mashine Mikro could make a dubstep song that you might hear on the radio. Wheres the talent?

• Not real music

To me music is a way to convey thoughts/emotions/statements in a way that it can connect with people. When I hear dub step all I hear is LOOK HOW ANNOYING I CAN BE!! Not very relatable. When you play an instrument (I play guitar) I can close my eyes and play the song/tune is influenced by me and my emotions directly. I don't think the same can be said for a computer.

>