• It deviates youngsters from studies

Youngsters who pay more attention to fashion are less attentive to their studies and when it comes to devoting time to their academic career, they seem to be less concerned. This very attitude and the role of fashion Magazines is harming the very basics of the student community and they start feeling that their life would reach a certain height if they involve their selves in the fashion activities.

• At schools, girls have started to rank themselves with fashion.

Girls have started to decided who's who by what they wear, and if one doesn't have enough money to buy a certain piece of clothing, then see it being worn around schools, than their self-esteems can be lowered to a certain degree, and can be seen as a target to bullies, making the situation worse.

• People are too bind to realize what fashion can do to person.

I know this from experience and have watched people surfer. Fashion is killing teenagers and some adults. Fashion is a waste of time. What happened to people expressing themselves? There are too many people wrapped up in what's in or getting the next best thing.

Also, the so-called fashion of "hot bodies"; what the hell is up with that? I watched a friend who is so called "fat and ugly" struggle with being in style and having a body people want to see. She starved herself and made herself throw up just to fit in. Honestly, I used to be wrapped up in fashion, but my mom made me realize that I don't need the newest things out there. I don't need make up as I used to think.

My mom showed me how to express myself through everything I do. I thank her for that! I may be only 16 but I know what it used to be like. I don't care about fashion because being "in" is showing how low people can be and labeling them as trash, ugly, poor and worse. Fashion is harmful to a society and there is so much more around us. The sad thing is that most of the world is too blind to see it.

• People think fashion is so important because they always want to look good.

Why do people always think fashion is so important? Well that is my question to you! Why is it so important? Why do you have to ooh good for people to like you? Some people in this world think that life is all about fashion! Well its not! Soot all you losers out there who think fashion is the best things in life.. Well stop thinking that. If you don't stop thinking that then you will grow up to have no friends and will have the worst life ever. So I came here to say fashion is not everything in life and it is harmful to some girls. If girls think that they will be liked if they look good then they will grow up to be lonely and have no friends. So if your one of those people think about al the other important things in life before you go to a party or get dressed up.

• I believe fashion is harmful to society.

As the mother of a thirteen year old girl I can tell you that many things that are considered fashionable are ruining society. Whether it be the way they are wearing their clothes or what. There are also other issues that fall into this category television shows and radio. What is acceptable and what isn't? It is all a very thin line but all of it is becoming our undoing.

Posted by: lacedjeans
  • Fashion is not harmful to society as it simply personifies freedom

Fashion allows people to express themselves in an individual way. It provides diversity in society which can only be a healthy thing. It shows that people have freedom and therefore allows them to relax and feel comfortable for who they are. Overall it makes for happier individuals which results in a more prosperous society.

Posted by: J Navarro 62
  • Fashion is the reason so many people are up to their neck in credit card debt.

How many times do you go to a department store and not get asked by the cashier if you want a charge card for that store. The answer is almost never. Not only will the store charge you $100 for that pair of jeans, they will let you pay more than that if you don't want to pay for it all right now. Fashion is the biggest scam in consumer product because their products are never worth what you have to pay to be fashionable.

Posted by: R3ubHockey
  • Young girls are trying to emulate celebrities/models and can't differentiate the celebrity's "public persona" wardrobe from their everyday "at-home" wardrobe.

Young girls look to celebrities and/or models when trying to figure out fashion. They see what is dished out to them from the media or from in-person events. They don't understand that much of what celebrities wear is worn specifically for the publicity. Some even for shock value just to get into the forefront of the public eye. They see models with unrealistic body shapes and think that to be beautiful and successful they too have to be unhealthily thin. They don't know how many models are throwing up the only calories their bodies receive on a daily basis. They don't understand that celebrities that are dressing in body-hugging clothes and see-through tops are purposefully dressing that way because sex sells. Girls are so obsessed with being popular and accepted that they are trying to bypass being a girl and instead are trying to rush into being a woman. They aren't even getting the chance to figure out for themselves the stupidity of celebrities who spend a good sum of money walking in 9" stilettos or shoes without heels all for the sake of publicity. It is obvious that the celebrity is just hiding behind the same insecurity that the little girls have about being accepted and loved for who they are. For the record, people with real talent do not need to hide behind the facade of fashion absurdity.

• I feel that fashion is harmful to society, because it promotes a culture that is based solely on appearance.

The fashion industry encourages an unrealistic outlook for men and women in regards to their bodies and their looks. Women and men have gone to great extremes to mold their bodies into what the fashion world has decided is "perfect", often disregarding their health and well-being, just to look like the air-brushed, rail-thin models that the industry has deemed beautiful.

Posted by: MilitaryGregorio28
  • Fashion is definitely harmful to society, because it inspires people to make potentially harmful lifestyle choices.

Societal problems, such as anorexia and teen violence, are exemplary as to why fashion can actually be harmful. The media pushes the idea of beauty, as it is associated with apparently emaciated super models and punks wearing baggy pants and chains. Our children try to emulate what they are seeing on television. Some restrict their eating to the point that their health suffers, and others steal and even resort to violence to obtain clothes that look like those their television heroes wear.

Posted by: UtterDusty75
  • Fashion is not harmful to society.

I do not believe that fashion is harmful to society. I think that fashion increases and benefits society. If everyone was wearing the same thing it would be a very boring society. Fashion as far as clothes stimulates society. Also it stimulates society via television. This is done with shows such as america's next top model and project runway.

Posted by: barbiegirll
  • Fashion is human nature, to the beginning of the species.

Fashion is the style of clothing selected by a social group. This has been found to go back hundreds of thousands of years with beads, bracelets, pendants and head band adornments in ancestral caves. There is even limited evidence that the Neanderthals had jewelry as well. Fashion is the act of dressing in a way to improve or enhance appearance. Fashion is part of human nature. Where "fashion" of modern times has become harmful is the dangerously thin models who are held up as the epitome of beauty. If a girl has to starve herself to an unhealthy level to look "beautiful", we need to question or standards of beauty. But that does not make the clothing style or hair style she wears harmful.

Posted by: Pir4And
  • Fashion is not harmful to society as it's just a frivolous pastime.

Fashion is not harmful to society as it's just a frivolous pastime. It is taken seriously by people in the industry and generates a lot of jobs and money, but it's not curing cancer. It's not by itself creating distorted visions of women and some people genuinely enjoy and revere it.

Posted by: H0bi3Invader
  • Fashion is a liberating element in society, far from harming anyone.

With the advent of internet shopping, there are more styles available to an individual than ever. This, in turn, means more self-expression than ever. The problem that the question tries to address isn't really fashion itself, but the idea that what one wears determines what one is worth. This is especially bad for women. Rather than being a consequence of fashion itself, this is just social norms gone awry. The correct remedy for this is to encourage less conformity in all areas that don't cause harm in order to liberate the culture.

Posted by: 54uIIan
  • Fashion has been in existence for centuries upon centuries.

Fashion is actually good for society. It has been around for centuries upon centuries. Fashion helps people express themselves and their cultures. It helps give people a sense of self and a sense of identity. Fashion also identifies a time period. Fashion exists in all cultures and in all countries and continents. It is a part of life.

Posted by: VasilBuddy
  • Fashion is not harmful to society and instead does the exact opposite of harmful to society

Fashion is not harmful to society because it helps drive the economy and allows individuals to express themselves. On the first point, fashion leads to the sale of high-end fashion as well as more mainstream retail fashions that one can find in the mall. In addition, thee are related industries dependent on the fashion industry, including fashion magazines. All of these factors help fuel the economy. On the second point, fashion allows people to express themselves in a creative way. To be concise, fashion is fun. It certainly is not harmful in any way.

Posted by: SandDari
  • fashion isn't harmful because it is a well balanced way of people expressing themselves.

Although clothes seem to be costing a lot of money nowadays, they are a statement for what people express themselves as. Though they can be offensive sometimes, they are a way for someone to make them stand out and different from the rest of society. They also are a good way of making money as if we trade clothes among all countries and wore different styles, the world would be more peaceful.

Posted by: waffletime
  • I do not believe fashion is harmful to society, it is like many aspects of society that can be subject to abuse.

Fashion and the industry as a whole is certainly not harmful to society. Fashion is a reflection of the desires of society as a whole. The very idea of skeletal models as hangers for clothes is supported by our desire to view the clothes on what we as a society perceive as perfect bodies. Those individuals who aspire to look like these unrealistic representations of beauty have issues that need to be addressed.

Posted by: R3n5God2iIIa
  • No, how could fashion harm society?

I really don't understand how people think fashion can harm society. I'm note even sure I know what the harm would be. Is there really something harmful about a teenage boy wearing baggy pants? What harm is actually done by this? Obviously fashions change. I believe that society and social mores change right along with fashion.

Posted by: BriaBlacken
  • Fashion is a harmless, though profitable distraction in life that serves a particular market.

The fashion world is glitzy and glamorous and those who follow fashion are usually affluent and have way too much time and money on their hands; but fashion isn't harmful. It's a pleasant distraction from other cares and problems in the world and it's exciting and fun to keep up with trends in fashion. It is a huge industry and one that will never die.

Posted by: N3vinFace

>