• Yup.

If you're in prison, you're safer but have a lot less freedom. Anyone want to voluntarily incarcerate themselves?

• Read the book "The Giver"

To dear people who had chose the right column,
    Please read the book 'The Giver.'
    Would you like to live in a place like that? By the way, security isn't guaranteed. Everyday the government says "We'll make sure that our citizens will be safe .. Blah blah blah..."
    However, are we indeed safe? The answer is "NO!"

• Freedom > Security

When the govt starts regulating every aspect of our lives then we should know that there's something wrong. Absolute power corrupts, so we shouldn't let them watch us make every move.
    I think at first it was tolerable but since the news of the PRISM project things are getting way out of line.
    If we aren't even free to write what we want without the risk of being prosecuted then where is our right of freedom of speech. The govt exists to serve its people, not to rule over them.
    Besides we wouldn't need all that security if the govt. Stopped fcking up the other countries.
    When doing a some research everyone can point out that the federal reserve is to blame for most of the western problems, their actions have only been for self enrichment and they do not care about anyone else, they just want the govt to start more wars so they can loan them more money which the American people can repay with their tax money.

• Danger is exaggerated to encourage submission

Believe it or or we are being tricked into giving up our freedom. We are safer now than we have ever been but our preception is of a dangerous world; manufactured by those who would like to relieve us of our rights. Don't fall for it! It is all a ruse.

• Exceptionality of Freedom

Danger is a constant, we will never live in a world in which some someone or something isn't out to get the proverbial "us". Freedom, however, is something that was and continues to be fought for; it is an exceptional and unique gift that must be preserved at all costs.

• Without Freedoms, we would not be able to speak up!

I never did like it when I was told that I could not do something. Taking my Freedom, in the name of Security, is completely against what all of our Military throughout the ages have fought and died for. What Freedom is there, if we could not say or do what we wanted? The argument of, "To keep us safe from harm", this goes into morals as well. Having no Freedom, but High Security, what would possess these thoughts? No matter what System we are faced with, there will be Criminals. Ever ask a Criminal what they thought of Higher Security? Ask one that is not in Prison, They are for Gun Control. For, when does the Police show up for a crime?
    If we lose our Freedoms, they will never return, for the People of this Country are not like our Ancestors. Some may be, but most are not. To go against a full Tyrannical Government, like back at the start of this Country, the Entire Nation was United. Yet, now we are divided, Fear (thanks to our Government and media), Race (hmm, who brings this up the most?), and many other things that keep us separated.
    As the old saying goes;
    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
    Then they came for the socialists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic.
    Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.
    Without Freedoms, we would not be able to speak up.

• Freedom is more important than security, because security without freedom is worthless.

Without freedom, high security runs the risk of eroding into fascism or a totalitarian state. Slaves in America lived in a fairly secure environment, but lacked freedom. What kind of life is this? A free society comes with inherent risks. However, it is better to be free and potentially unsafe, rather than to be secure and oppressed.

Posted by: MarkBuII
  • This is not really a question.

The most of the people who are ready to sacrifice their freedom in order to be "safe" simply do not know what they are talking about. They were simply lucky enough to be born in a (relatively) free country. They don't know what is living somewhere where there is no freedom. And this is very dangerous. Soon or later their freedom will be taken away and then it will be too late to be sorry. It will be very hard if not impossible to fight their freedom back and it may take a very, very long time. And their children will hate them for being such cowards. Believe me. I perfectly know what I’m talking about. Be aware to protect your freedom and fight for it when necessary. You have nothing more to lose.

• I take freedom.

I'd rather keep my freedom than to exchange it for a false security. Most "security" is about making the citizens FEEL like something is being done to protect them because too many people react to situations rather than taking the time to settle down and respond.
    Who is secure if guns, for instance, are taken away? A corrupt government? The criminals? It certainly isn't the law abiding citizen who is safer.
    At some point people need to stop looking to government to "fix" things. Laws do not fix things. If I want to take the risk of drinking raw milk, then I take the responsibility of possibly getting sick. No one else has the right to tell me I can't do it.
    No, I'd rather have freedom. Freedom to fail. Freedom to succeed. Freedom to say whatever I want. Freedom to die. I choose freedom and take the responsibility for knowing I take the risk of dying by a random shooting or being the victim of a terrorist attack. I'd rather die that way than live each day in bondage and fear.

• Freedom Promotes Security

How can someone secure and protect themselves if they do not have the freedom to do so? New bills and gun Laws are not going to stop the killing of innocent people, they are only going to keep innocent people from the ability of self-defense. Yes, guns make it easier for someone with malicious intent to follow through, but what people fail to realize is that these people have these guns illegally anyways, and gun laws are not going to change that.

• These people on the Right have no idea what their talking about.

If you think having all your freedoms you could ever want with limited security would be amazing, you should just stop talking and log off this site. Your gonna wake up with all your freedoms until some other country comes and takes you over. Now you have no freedom's and at the moment your enslaved or dead.

• Without security, everyone would be dead.

If you get rid of security, there would be no laws around security. No laws means that people could go around the streets killing any one they wanted to and harming people. It would be anarchy. 100% freedom would still be limited because you can never be truly 'free'. There will always be obstacles in the way to stop complete freedom. Ergo, ben is gay

• What is the point on having freedom if we will not be safe to have it?

My reasoning are as fallows:
    1)Take away your pride and see that we are safe in the little net the government gives us
    2) Lose someone you care about and then tell me freedom is greater than security
    As H.L. Mencken once said “The average man does not want to be free. He simply wants to be safe.”

• No

Freedom is worthless if you wake up the slave of another country, or if you never wake up at all but die because you were foolish enough not to do what was needed to be done.

• Little Point in Freedom If You Are Dead

I often here this brought up, but the problem is that security is basically designed to ensure that one can practice basic freedoms. If we have no security, then people can harm us when we practice our freedoms. A certain amount of security is necessary for freedom. As such, I consider security marginally more important than freedom, /especially/ since when this argument is brought up, it usually involves a small amount of freedom and a great deal of security. Obviously one must analyze the trade-off closely.

• Security creates freedom

Freedom was earned back when the United States of America was created. Therefore, we must keep what we have earned by organizing the nation and keeping its citizens safe. Security ensures a safe freedom that all can enjoy. Take the Middle East for instance. Riots and violence crowd the streets just because of the rights the people cannot obtain. If the Middle East took the time to secure policies and its people,then freedom would be achieved.

• Give me Liberty.

A small amount of safety is not worth any amount of a loss of liberty. Remember German history from the 1930's. If you don't remember, read. The liberties and freedoms of the German people were taken small bits at a time in a way that they could agree with having more safety, until, they had neither.

• In today's society, security has become a very important issue that needs to be attended to, more so than freedom.

After the serious events of 9/11, we, as a nation, need to realize that we are not immune to attacks on our people. The thousands of people that died in the terrorist attacks could have been avoided, with proper security. It is understandable that this idea should not be taken too far, but it is a priority. As a nation, we do not appear to be well-liked worldwide, even if we attempt to provide international assistance.

Posted by: KingM0
  • Safety is needed more than freeddom

Without safety there is no freedom. Freedom comes when people know they are safe. If they feel unsafe, they will not feel free. Would you go out into the world not knowing that atanytime you could be attacked or killed? Safety could detect these things and help us to defeat the fear we have as humans in this contemporary society!

• How about the kite man on the $100 bill? How about the $2 Independence Man?

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin
    Or
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson