• Yup.

If you're in prison, you're safer but have a lot less freedom. Anyone want to voluntarily incarcerate themselves?

• Read the book "The Giver"

To dear people who had chose the right column,
    Please read the book 'The Giver.'
    Would you like to live in a place like that? By the way, security isn't guaranteed. Everyday the government says "We'll make sure that our citizens will be safe .. Blah blah blah..."
    However, are we indeed safe? The answer is "NO!"

• Freedom > Security

When the govt starts regulating every aspect of our lives then we should know that there's something wrong. Absolute power corrupts, so we shouldn't let them watch us make every move.
    I think at first it was tolerable but since the news of the PRISM project things are getting way out of line.
    If we aren't even free to write what we want without the risk of being prosecuted then where is our right of freedom of speech. The govt exists to serve its people, not to rule over them.
    Besides we wouldn't need all that security if the govt. Stopped fcking up the other countries.
    When doing a some research everyone can point out that the federal reserve is to blame for most of the western problems, their actions have only been for self enrichment and they do not care about anyone else, they just want the govt to start more wars so they can loan them more money which the American people can repay with their tax money.

• Danger is exaggerated to encourage submission

Believe it or or we are being tricked into giving up our freedom. We are safer now than we have ever been but our preception is of a dangerous world; manufactured by those who would like to relieve us of our rights. Don't fall for it! It is all a ruse.

• Exceptionality of Freedom

Danger is a constant, we will never live in a world in which some someone or something isn't out to get the proverbial "us". Freedom, however, is something that was and continues to be fought for; it is an exceptional and unique gift that must be preserved at all costs.

• Without Freedoms, we would not be able to speak up!

I never did like it when I was told that I could not do something. Taking my Freedom, in the name of Security, is completely against what all of our Military throughout the ages have fought and died for. What Freedom is there, if we could not say or do what we wanted? The argument of, "To keep us safe from harm", this goes into morals as well. Having no Freedom, but High Security, what would possess these thoughts? No matter what System we are faced with, there will be Criminals. Ever ask a Criminal what they thought of Higher Security? Ask one that is not in Prison, They are for Gun Control. For, when does the Police show up for a crime?
    If we lose our Freedoms, they will never return, for the People of this Country are not like our Ancestors. Some may be, but most are not. To go against a full Tyrannical Government, like back at the start of this Country, the Entire Nation was United. Yet, now we are divided, Fear (thanks to our Government and media), Race (hmm, who brings this up the most?), and many other things that keep us separated.
    As the old saying goes;
    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
    Then they came for the socialists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Catholic.
    Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.
    Without Freedoms, we would not be able to speak up.

• Freedom is more important than security, because security without freedom is worthless.

Without freedom, high security runs the risk of eroding into fascism or a totalitarian state. Slaves in America lived in a fairly secure environment, but lacked freedom. What kind of life is this? A free society comes with inherent risks. However, it is better to be free and potentially unsafe, rather than to be secure and oppressed.

Posted by: MarkBuII
  • This is not really a question.

The most of the people who are ready to sacrifice their freedom in order to be "safe" simply do not know what they are talking about. They were simply lucky enough to be born in a (relatively) free country. They don't know what is living somewhere where there is no freedom. And this is very dangerous. Soon or later their freedom will be taken away and then it will be too late to be sorry. It will be very hard if not impossible to fight their freedom back and it may take a very, very long time. And their children will hate them for being such cowards. Believe me. I perfectly know what I’m talking about. Be aware to protect your freedom and fight for it when necessary. You have nothing more to lose.

• I take freedom.

I'd rather keep my freedom than to exchange it for a false security. Most "security" is about making the citizens FEEL like something is being done to protect them because too many people react to situations rather than taking the time to settle down and respond.
    Who is secure if guns, for instance, are taken away? A corrupt government? The criminals? It certainly isn't the law abiding citizen who is safer.
    At some point people need to stop looking to government to "fix" things. Laws do not fix things. If I want to take the risk of drinking raw milk, then I take the responsibility of possibly getting sick. No one else has the right to tell me I can't do it.
    No, I'd rather have freedom. Freedom to fail. Freedom to succeed. Freedom to say whatever I want. Freedom to die. I choose freedom and take the responsibility for knowing I take the risk of dying by a random shooting or being the victim of a terrorist attack. I'd rather die that way than live each day in bondage and fear.

• Freedom Promotes Security

How can someone secure and protect themselves if they do not have the freedom to do so? New bills and gun Laws are not going to stop the killing of innocent people, they are only going to keep innocent people from the ability of self-defense. Yes, guns make it easier for someone with malicious intent to follow through, but what people fail to realize is that these people have these guns illegally anyways, and gun laws are not going to change that.

• Secure our freedoms

Without measures of security, Our freedoms we value so much are in jeopardy. The social contract implies a responsibility from us as citizens - a quid pro quo - giving up some of our rights to protect those rights. The balance has to be achieved in order for all of our freedoms to be protected. Security applies to our rights - it encompasses more than just our physical safety. We want to be secure in our travel, In our finances, In our freedom to express ourselves, So when in times of conflict especially, Some have to be limited so in the long term they are all protected.

• Safety is more important to society

Without safety there can be no freedom. Would you rather be safe than free? Most people would want to be safe. Looking at the gun right debate, "anti-gun" individuals want to restrict freedom to hopefully increase safety with reducing deaths in mass shootings. Regarding H. L. Mencken, Safety is what society wants, It doesn't means they necessarily have it currently, It is just idealized, Rather than having personal, Economic, Or political freedom.

• Its just not

I frikced ur mom, Just cause i could, Your dad watched. And I think he liked it. Yup. Yup. Yup/. Ypu. Ypu / yuo skajfd sd f sd fs f sdf sa f a sd f ag asdfasd f asdf ds f sf sdf d. This whole 50 word thing is dum.

• Thomas Hobbes' Writing

If you read the basic foundations of modern political science, You would understand that humans exist in the state of nature as inherently free, Independent and individual entities. To some, This may seem a dream. But, As Hobbes describes it, Life under this state of nature with complete freedom is poor, Nasty, Solitary, Brutish, And short. Indeed — freedom without the security of a ruling state is not a life I would like to live. "I would rather die a starving freeman than a fat slave. " No, Thanks! I'm fine with being a normal citizen, With laws to follow and duties to fulfill, In exchange for security. We must strike a balance with the state -- ensuring we have enough freedom to replace the government if necessary, But not so much that we are made unsafe.

This is the continual debate in US politics: freedom versus safety (equality). It is not an either or. . . But in the modern political scene, I'll vote for safety, Because the parties calling for liberty are in reality calling for a brutal, Harsh, Cold, Capitalistic state of nature in which the strong rule the weak. Pass!

• Security is more important

The amount of security in a country could be a life or death situation for many citizens and if that situation comes to be, which would you rather have more security and alive, or less security but because of the reduced amount of security you are dead and most likely many others.

• Safety First and Always

Security is more important than Freedom because imagine yourself as a person in a country where there is war. You have a family and you want to get out of the country. Just because you want to flee the country for freedom doesn't mean you are going to leave the country safely. In fact, there will only be a 0.01% chance in you and your family leaving the country. So if you lose your family while you flee the country, you just lost everything you had to live for.

• If you're not safe, you might be dead.

Look. We could easily have a country with no laws, total freedom, and no government. But would we be safe? No. We would be in a world where chaos reigned, and anyone could kill or rob. But there would be total freedom, right? Actually, here's the issue. You might very well be dead because there is no security. Thumbs up me for a free imaginary hug!

• Without security our freedom goes away

If we do not have security there are no laws and we will have a permanent purge. With the purge going on people will be too afraid to leave their houses or everyone will be killed off. That would then be the end of the country as we know it.

• Without security there would be a permanent purge.

If the country had full freedom and no security there would be nothing stopping people from killing each other. We would have a Purge for the rest of the country's life. Which would not be long at all. We may want more freedom, but I would rather be alive than dead.

• By the numbers.

Lets run this by the numbers. There are 30 confirmed cases where significant terrorists events were thwarted due to the authorities granted to federal agencies as a result of the FISA Amendment Act of 2008 and other post 9/11 acts. Specifically, the authorities granted under Title VII, section 702 were extremely instrumental in these efforts. 30 situations that could've resulted in a significant loss of American lives. I'm talking attacks on the order of 9/11. So, what's the argument against that? If you want to debate, then debate. I don't care about what you "think" or what you "feel." It's absolutely irrelevant. What are your facts to the contrary? Facts, not gibberish derived from your liberal echo chambers. I mean what facts substantiate that the measures taken to safeguard our citizenry (30 attacks averted) were unjust and in any harmed the people of this country? If you can't provide facts, and can only come back with useless comments, then you're only demonstrating your complete ignorance of the situation and are quite frankly wasting your time. It's better to remain silent and let others think you a fool than to open your mouth and prove yourself one.