• Gambling is a legalized confiscation of your money.

Gambling is a very addictive habit just like a drug. It also gives you the same highs and lows. It is distinctive to family structure both financially and economically. It is intentionally designed for you to loose. The employment benefits for a community and tax dollars pd by casinos do not overcome the devastation it causes families, Individuals, And communities. Most people it attracts are lower income and elderly. These casinos are popping up on every corner. It’s a drug that prays on lonely, Depressed, Despite individuals. It’s nothing more than legalized stealing. Casinos are nothing more than pimps and should be treated the same. Predators making average individuals suffer so they can profit. They should definitely be outlawed.

• Gambling Destroys Lives

People have killed themselves over their gambling addiction because they just could not stop. I knew a 27 yr old man who shot himself in the head and died because the gambling was taking over his life.

Also, A man killed his business partner along with the business partner's wife and two kids (McStay family) because he was stealing from the company to support his gambling debts. This has been all over the news. So sad the extremes that this horrible addiction will lead people into doing.

• I wish I never played my first slot

I was 42 years old and had never played a slot machine until came to visit my folks in Vegas at Thanksgiving one year.
    They retired in Las Vegas, Soon after that visit I sold my home in North Carolina and moved there. I was instantly addicted and thought about playing them all the time. 20 years later I have wasted a fortune, I live paycheck to paycheck and I hate them, But I still return to casinos to plat and waste my money. They should not be legal, They are worse that drugs and alcohol.

• Gambling can ruin families

Gambling is an addicting game. Just like how Drugs and cigs can ruin a person's life gambling can ruin a person's life and family. When a person is too addicted to gambling and lose alot of money it can mean trouble for their family because that money could have been used for something useful for example a child's education, Food, Rent etc

• Gambling is a disease.

Because it denies the reality of God’s sovereignty (by affirming the existence of luck or chance)
    Because it is built on irresponsible stewardship (tempting people to throw away their money)
    Because it erodes a biblical work ethic (by demeaning and displacing hard work as the proper means for one’s livelihood)
    Because it is driven by the sin of covetousness (tempting people to give in to their greed)
    Because it is built on the exploitation of others (often taking advantage of poor people who think they can gain instant wealth)

• It ruins lives

Gambling destroys people by making them spend all their hard earned money on stupid crap like gambling, and then they steal money when they don't have any to gamble with, and most of the time the money is from the person's mate or even their friends. I used to know someone who took money from their own KIDS to gamble with. And some may say "If you get rid of gambling, then the people will continue to gamble more often, since it's in human nature to do things your not supposed to do." Yeah, that's true. People WILL continue to gamble in different ways, but it'll be a lot harder for them to gamble. They'll have to find secret places were gambling takes place, try to find out how to get there, and try to find out how not to get caught doing it. At that point most people will just forget about it due to the struggle of it. There will be people who decide to go with it, but it's in human nature to try and find a shortcut, and when they do, they'll begin to become reckless and eventually get caught and stopped.

• It ruins lives

Gambling destroys people by making them spend all their hard earned money on stupid crap like gambling, and then they steal money when they don't have any to gamble with, and most of the time the money is from the person's mate or even their friends. I used to know someone who took money from their own KIDS to gamble with. And some may say "If you get rid of gambling, then the people will continue to gamble more often, since it's in human nature to do things your not supposed to do." Yeah, that's true. People WILL continue to gamble in different ways, but it'll be a lot harder for them to gamble. They'll have to find secret places were gambling takes place, try to find out how to get there, and try to find out how not to get caught doing it. At that point most people will just forget about it due to the struggle of it.

• Rich get Richq

Just not a fan. I don't see the entertainment with it. You cannot play or at least I never had on just 50 bucks. You usually end up empty.
    Takes capital to build one but once you do you rake in money. It seems like a fool proof plan to just print money for yourself. I don't necessarily think to make it illegal per say but it would not be a loss if it was gone. That money would go to other better initiatives even if it is a nice dinner.

• Yes thy hould because they could win a lot of moey.

Yes they should because they can win a lot of money fore their family and also even friends and they will not get money back and they could get riped of and they don't get thair money back and they might just jet 1million dollary's and they might just get 500.000

• Gambling is highly addictive and destructive

Casinos do not care to set the daily gambling limit. A person can loose 100k while being serviced with "free" drinks. Cash advances inside the casinos are definitely used onlyby problem and compulsive gamblers. Why to even offer check cashing or cash advances? Any research done on who uses cash advances inside the casino? Some gamblers take cash advances multiple times in one day Casino industry poorly regulated and casino offers and comps designed to target problem or compulsive gamblers.

• Gambling should not be illegal.

I have no idea whether gambling is bad for society and I believe that's an impossibly difficult question to answer. On the one hand, gambling brings some amount of happiness to people and it is possible to gamble responsibly. On the other hand, there is clear potential for abuse and addicts have the ability to destroy their lives. Of course there are many more pros and cons, but we have no way to compare a society where gambling is widespread to an otherwise identical society where gambling does not exist (to all other societies in between). It is, however, clear that to outlaw gambling would to make a huge mistake. On a moralistic view, does the government have the right to deny people access to an activity that they enjoy just because addicts might hurt themselves? People should be responsible for their own mistakes and a government that enforces these kinds of laws is one that is overbearing and authoritarian. It's simply not possible to outlaw gambling. On the practical side, people will gamble whether or not it's legal. Office pools and home poker games are already illegal and people still participate in them. There's potential for abuse here. Should the government regularly bust into offices and private basements? It's simply not practical. Just because something is illegal does not make it impossible or even difficult. Look at the drug war. Buying heroin is extremely illegal, yet people still do. In fact, drug abuse has not declined at all since the beginning of the drug war. A war on gambling would be exactly the same. Instead of using the government to force morals on people, use it to promote awareness and programs to help addicts like gamblers anonymous.

• While gambling may be bad for society, making it unlawful would not solve the problem.

While gambling may be bad for society, making it unlawful would not solve the problem. Gambling, like alcohol, is a highly addictive activity. However, the lessons of the Prohibition era teach us that making gambling illegal would simply move the practice underground and contribute to the criminalization of the practice. Keeping gambling legal prevents a violent criminal underground from developing in the gambling industry.

Posted by: NatBIab
  • Gambling is bad for society, but people should have the freedom to do stupid things.

The statement "gambling is bad for society" deserves some clarification. The act of gambling itself isn't that harmful, but the fact that it has secondary negative effects such as strengthening organized crime makes it indirectly harmful. This leads to an argument you see with many types of "vice" in the form "generally harmless act X should be banned because it increases harmful act/effect Y". In free societies, the correct course is to crack down on Y. If we crack down on the source act directly, you get a result like we have with drugs in the United States. Otherwise law-abiding citizens are locked up rather than given treatment if an addiction is present.

Posted by: 54uIIan
  • Gambling is a normal behavior of risk taking by people and is neither unhealthy for society nor should it be illegal.

Gambling is simply risking something on a possibly profitable outcome. It is a fundamental human decision making and risk taking strategy and therefore is not bad or criminal. For example, a parent who pays for their child to go to college may be gambling on the possibility that their child will make more money because they are more educated and that outcome would benefit the parent who made the initial risky investment.

Posted by: Wynn354
  • I do not believe that you can legislate morals and some people will continue to gamble whether it is legal or not.

I personally do not gamble because I feel that I would be throwing money away, but I do not believe that outlawing gambling will cause it to disappear. There are those who would gamble even if it was illegal, and we know from the past, that this can cause a criminal element to become involved in gambling. I believe that it is better for gambling to be legal with some government oversight. This also has benefits to the public since the states that have legal gambling are able to reap income that can be spent on state programs such as education.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • In my opinion, making gambling unlawful would not end the gaming or make society any better, but would cause gambling to be a hidden vice, making it even more difficult for society to accept.

Gambling has been around since there have been at least two people in this world to bet on something or someone. Having legalized gambling keeps it out in the open making it more honest for people to take part in. By educating people about the downside of the sport will keep society appeased. If the goal is to do away with gambling by making it illegal it simply will not work.

Posted by: WinDr
  • Gambling, like everything else in life, should be handled in moderation but should not be explicitly made unlawful.

There are two major levels of gambling - spending some money to have fun and relax, versus spending so much that you not only harm your life but the life of others. The government should not infringe on your personal rights (the former case) but does have a right to protect its citizens, who might be harmed due to excessive gambling (the latter case). So while a law that limits gambling losses (for example, if you have $x you're only allowed to gamble up to 5% of it, and you're not allowed to use credit), might be good, the actual action of banning gambling infringes on an individual's freedom and would be unconstitutional.

Posted by: P3rEver
  • Gambling is an act of fun and sometimes it has its downfall, but it is perfectly acceptable.

When you gamble, you basically are taking a huge risk. That risk is not always good, but gambling can be a good thing if the money comes and goes in the right directions. I believe it should be limited to everyone and it is a free choice to gamble your profits away, but be very cautious.

Posted by: waffletime
  • No, gambling is not the problem.

Gambling, in itself, isn't really bad for society. It gives some people hope for the future and excitement for the present. The revenue for gambling is often used to fund things which have a definite positive effect on society - like schools, Indian reservations, etc... The problems arise, with gambling, when it becomes an addiction and individuals sacrifice their well being to partake in the activity. Just as with anything else, gambling is best when done in moderation. Also, making gambling illegal will not stop the ugly effects of the activity. Those who are most negatively affected by this activity, will still find ways to do it. The biggest difference will be that they will now be criminalized for doing it. This wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for these individuals, or society as a whole. It would create an additional burden for both.

Posted by: MohaI0v35
  • No, gambling shouldn't be made unlawful because the U.S. is a free country.

Gambling isn't necessarily bad for society, as long as it is done in moderation. In Nevada, casinos pay huge taxes on gambling income, and the money will then be used for the benefit of the state. I see gambling as trying to win the lottery: you are not likely to win, but you may win.

Posted by: FeIBuddy

Adam2 says2013-12-01T18:57:01.850
Now I'm not in favor of banning bambling all together now. But I don't believe casinos should be allowed.