• I second this.

Strangely I could see an argument for Jim Carrey (mostly comedy, by his level of immersion is insane).
    However I support Gary Oldman, as too many other actors are known for their stage personality rather than their different characters (Jack Nicholson as a the Joker for example, was mainly just Jack Nicholson).

• Say what you will about Marlon Brando & Jack Nicholson.

Although those two actors are also amazing actors, they do not compare. They're roles are too type-cast. Marlon Brando often plays a smarter character, and Jack Nicholson often plays a wise guy. Gary Oldman, however, can tackle any role. Look at this diversity:

- Drug addicted mob leader (who's also a corrupt cop)
    - Hysterical CEO of Zorg enterprises
    - Friggin Elvis
    - Horribly disfigured pedophile
    - Dracula
    - An MI6 agent
    - A wizard
    - Police commisioner of Gotham city
    - Sid Viscous
    - Pimp
    - A midget
    - Beethoven

No actor can amount to that length of diverse roles. Except Gary Oldman, and that's why he's the best actor of all-time.

Oh and one more thing. Acting isn't just about being great at a role. It's the ability to take on a role and portray it on screen. The fact that he can take any role given to him and do it with immense talent, that is why he's incredible.

• FLAWLESS and from a critical eye!

Very seasoned actor - have studied Meisner - teacher trained at William Esper - studied method and attended Stella Adler … interned at RADA and know the AIDA method very well. . . I can say without any hesitation that I scrutinize every performance for not only craft but truthfulness and the most overlooked technical aspect of all. . . Listening. . . Gary does all of the above better than anyone in the industry BEFORE he hides in his creative illusions. . . That is one of the many secrets of his character work.

• Master of his craft - hands down

Often when I watch a movie I am critiquing the actors and can often only think of them as one of their main roles because that is who they are now forever, But never do I think "that's an actor acting really well". Gary IS the person he is playing. His accents are spot on, He is full on amazing. Nicolas Cage can do crazy, But now he is only ever remembered as being that guy who does crazy. Never does Gary let his own personality overshadow the character he is playing. Even other great actors acknowledge his brilliance! Has anyone ever watched Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead?

• Lol at Depp being better than Oldman.

The Depp fan argues that his/her man is better because he has more Oscar nominations that Oldman. Well, Oldy is now an Oscar winner and Depp, well, isn't. Bwahahaha.

Oldy earned a drama degree, put in years of theatre, and has given more than three decades of screen performances that wowed viewers, critics and peers. Depp did some promising work in the 90s then became a Hollywood puppet, famous for a truly garbage pirate series and endless, "we're-guaranteed-big-bucks" collabs with the also-redundant Tim Burton. Depp is a flea on Oldy's ass when it comes to thespianism.

• Brando of our time

Marlon Brando was deemed the greatest of all time because of the realism he brought to acting. Oldman doesn't just bring realism but also "becomes" the character he's playing. He did what no one did before, his versatility is unmatched. He is literally unrecognizable in his movies, Brando "acted" realistic Oldman isnt acting. Oldman has made a everlasting impact on cinema, introducing a whole new dimension of acting.

• He a different character in nearly every film.

Save the Dark Knight series, Oldman plays a different character in every movie I've seen him in. Now, to be honest, I haven't seen some of his really early stuff, but for the last 20 years he has been nothing short of magnificent. His character Drexl in True Romance, while not having very much screen time, was one of his most memorable roles. It was amazing how he changed himself. His forgotten role of Zorg from The Fifth Element was so believable that you forgot it was him. And of course Stansfield from Leon (my favorite) was incredible. Maybe Daniel Day-Lewis tops any single role (maybe) with There Will Be Blood, but as a complete work I don't think it's close. Honorable mention: De Niro was amazing in Awakenings. Also, I need to see more of Olivier.

• I believe that Gary Oldman is the best actor of all time.

Oldman is an actor's actor.

He merges completely with the character and is utterly convincing.

He portrays a wide range of personas and does not limit himself within a genre.

He is highly persistent in achieving his portrayals, and obviously invested a lot in terms of time and character building to achieve them.

Further, while some actors may occasionally journey into the occasional role involving major makeup and prosthetics, Oldman seems to embrace them, and demonstrates both great aptitude and great patience.

• Of course he is

It is a rare and almost never seen phenomenon that Gary Oldman does every single time he appears on screen - he feels his characters in his bones. Not only does he absolutely steal every scene he is in, he does so with such sincerity that it's humbling to watch. He is cited amongst almost every good actor as an influence (Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch, Jason Isaacs, Mark Strong, etc.), and most of the greats have used the word "genius" when speaking about him (Anthony Hopkins, Keanu Reeves, Ralph Fiennes, etc.). In fact, both Colin Firth and Alec Baldwin have stated that he is the greatest actor in the world. Even Johnny Depp cites him as an influence and inspiration! Johnny Depp is great, but better than Gary Oldman? Come on.

• He is the greatest

His performances are completely believable he effortlessly or without apparent effort gives the most natural performance devoid of the tension that accompanies many other forced performances. Even when he overacts it's an amplification of the correct light and shade, accentuation and emotion that forms the backbone of the master execution of his craft.
    He is truly without peer and quite rightly known as the actor's actor.

• One of best if not best!

I love I found this thread lol. Anyway when I think of Oldman I think of of the very very top but not quite sure of the very best. Even though I agree with the post about immersion and in regards to Jack Nicholson and Brando I haven't seen 3 more actors that fit these exact descriptions of immersion. The three: the one and only Daniel Day Lewis! I mean look at his range... A young man in love with cerebral palsy to a young stud native in the last of the Mohicans to a daranged cold hearted son of a bitch oil man to an iconic president in Lincoln. 2. Sean Penn.. I have nothing to say but the contrast in his 2 oscars mystic river a tough leader and thug to being a butterfly in Milk. Finally Joaquin Phoenix.... A nice firefighter to a stolen performance in the master..... All these 4 are the heavyweights of all time nonetheless.

• The 2nd Greatest British Actor Of All Time

Day -Lewis, Olivier, Oldman, Hopkins, and Laughton. Those five names dwarf the best of the best in America. With Darkest Hour, Oldman has moves up a notch. Still Daniel Day Lewis and Olivier cast very long shadows. Oldman has created some mind blowing characters in his career (most notably Sid Vicious and Dracula), but aside from the latter most were small character performances. We still have yet to see if he can reign as the greatest actor of all time. He's one of the best at what he does, but I also look at influence. Brando changed the face of acting forever with his "method methodology" (no pun intended). Then De Niro came along and intensified it. Day Lewis took method acting into new territory in this current generation and showed us just how far immersion can go. Oldman has shown us in Churchill that he's the force to be reckoned with now that Daniel is gone. Greatest ever? Maybe a few more leading roles will allow him to cast his own giant shadow, but he still looms on the edge. I think he can get there, just not quite yet.

• Not even close to being the best actor of all time.

Johnny Depp better then Gary Oldman. Johnny can play any person and make it look believable as well. For those people saying that Johnny wears a 'mask of makeup' to make his character live here's what I say the DIRECTOR chooses what the actor looks like for the film. And the only reason he wears a lot of makeup for movies is because he plays FUN and INTERESTING roles it's just Johnny's style of roles he does. I mean you have to admit seeing what the actors look like on the big screen is interesting right?

• No, The Best Actor of All Time is Johnny Depp

Johnny Depp is the best actor of all time, and he out-acts Gary Oldham by a mile.
    Depp portrays the sensitive artist magnificently in Edward Scissorhands. Oldham’s
    Beethoven was relatively impenetrable. All he did was frown, look agonized, and
    compose music. Depp wins in the role of radical outcast too. Compare his work
    in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to Oldham’s whiny turn in Sid and Nancy.
    Neither actor has a Best Actor Oscar yet, but Depp has three nominations to
    Oldhams’s one. It’s no contest.

>