• Now it is a sport

As a dancer for 16 years I believe Irish dance has evolved into becoming a sport. The steps have changed from being low to the ground to lifting high in the air. Training is intense with many dancers employing personal trainers. That's like saying gymnastics and ice skating is not a sport. So Irish dance has indeed evolved into a sport.

• Yes, It’s a sport

Of course it’s a sport! Team? Try being perfectly in sync with 7 other people. Not Difficult? Try giving up your entire Saturday for an 8hoir dance class full of tears, Icyhot, And blood. Skill? Cross, Turn out, Jump high, Hit every beat, Don’t kick yourself in the process, Shall I continue? Competitions? All day competitions against huge amounts of people. At majors, Your competitions could have 150 people easily. It’s also not a get up and go competition. You get up 3 hours before to do your wig and makeup, And then you sit and wait for each round. You might have your wig on from 5am-10pm easily at a major. So what makes you think it isn’t a sport?

• Yes Yes Yes

Irish dancing is a sport. It is physically exhausting and takes a lot of dedication. Irish dancers put blood, sweat, and tears into everything that they do. They train for endless hours and work very hard. However, Irish dancing is also an art form because it is a type of dance. Irish dance is an art and a sport.

• Irish dance is a sport.

The actual definition of a sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” Irish dancing is an activity involving physical exertion and skill. If you don’t believe me, try a class once. Or even watch a competition. Which is my next point. Irish dancers also compete just like any other sport such as soccer. And Irish dance is a a good type of entertainment. This means that, by definition, Irish dance IS a sport. People might say that Irish dance is not a sport because of what we wear. This argument doesn’t even make sense because we don’t say oh soccer isnt a sport because they wear jerseys. Or swimming isn’t a sport because they wear swim suits. We don’t judge what you wear, so don’t judge what we wear. Just because you wear certain clothes, doesn’t change the fact that the sport is still a sport.

• Irish dance is a sport.

The actual definition of a sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” Irish dance requires physical exertion and skill and if you don’t believe me, try a class once. Or even watch an Irish dancer compete. Which is my next point. People compete in Irish dance. And Irish dance is a type of entertainment just like any other sport such as soccer. This means that Irish dance, by definition, IS a sport. And you might argue that Irish dance is not a sport because of the dresses we wear. We don’t judge what you wear, so don’t judge what we wear. The argument doesn’t even make sense anyways because we don’t say oh soccer isn’t a sport because they wear jerseys. Or swimming isn’t a sport because they wear swimsuits. You can wear anything you like and it doesn’t change the fact that the actual activity is a sport.

• This should not even be questioned !

Irish dancing did so much to my life. I am so happy I joined because it makes me stronger, physically and mentally.First, yes we do wear dresses, but think soccer/football or any other sport like that. They wear uniforms , so in Irish dancing we wear dresses as our "uniform". And 2, because we do have some physical fighting like pushing/kicking. I hate how people even think that irish dancing is not a sport.

• Yes yes yes

Irish dancibg is more than a sport!! It’s Dedication!! The blood,Sweat and tears we put in is crazy.Everyone says oh all you do is put on the dress,make up,tan and wig and off you go.NO it’s not I’ve been dancing for 9 years now and I’ll tell ya it’s more than a sport.Ya everyone think that football and basketball is a sport and it is but dancing is more than a sport it’s physical it’s hard work!!! So next time you Doubt dancing come on here on reads these debates... For me dancing is a sport 100%

• Its a sport

Its a sport coz i know it and i do it myself and also dont you get tired when you do sports. Well you get tired when you do irish dancing
    and you can do competitions for it and doing anything with your legs is a sport. So read up on it.

• Yes it is

I have done Irish Dance for 8 years nationally and internationally and the stamina it takes to become good is surprisingly so hard. You train like an olympic athlete and even though the performance it for a matter of minutes the trading it takes to become that level is as much as an Olympic athlete

• Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Irish dance is a sport. It involves physical activity and a lot of effort. It might not be like basketball or soccer, but it requires a lot of hard work and skilled. The definition of sport clearly says that a sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Therefore, Irish dance is a sport.

• No its not

Yes, it's athletic and requires physical talent but theres no scoreboard or winning so it should be a physical activity. Sports require a scoreboard, timing, or any other way to determine who has won. Dancing is judged, and the winner is based on the opinion of the judge, not by physical capabilities.

• No no no!!!!!

Absolutely not. It is not a sport. All those little brats who do it just say it is to make themselves feel good. I have done Irish Dance, Basketball, Track and Volleyball. And believe me, there is a HUGE difference. You actually work hard for something in real sports. Dance is just a pagent and then you dance for a minute or less.... But you play basketball and volleyball for at least an hour IF it doesn't go overtime.

• Nope not at all....

Yes Irish dancers but in a lot of hard work and great effort, but that DOES NOT make it a sport, athletes put in equal amount of hard work and effort too. Maybe more! It's just like saying that ballet, tap-dancing and others like the tango, waltz, barn-dancing etc are sports,which they're NOT,!So therefor DOES NOT make irish-dancing a sport. Oh yeah, and when do you ever see swimmers, soccer players , tennis players etc wearing make-up, wigs, glittery dresses and fake-tan on them while playing???

• Dance is an art.

It is just that it is an art. Yes it take alot of time and effort and talent but it isn't classifies as a sport. By saying it is not a sport does not make it less hard it is just as challenging as some sports maybe even more so. Sports you compete where as dance or other art forms you preform.

• Dance is Art

I don't think that Irish Dance is sport. I don't think any dance should be sport. Dance is a form of art and it makes people feel good and relived. Where as sports are design to be in competition. Dance is more like social hobbie where as to sport is professional.

• There is a fine line

What is a sport and what isn't? ESPN covers golf, therefore it is a sport, and they don't cover badminton unless it's in the Olympics, so I classify it as a game. I see Irish dance as an activity, not a sport. Other people may see it differently, but when I think of sports, the first thing that comes to mind is not Irish dance, and probably never will be.

• To meIt's 50/50

It's not its OWN sport because it falls under the category of dAnce. Like tap dance or jazz. It's A sport but not it's OWN sport if you know what I mean. Swimming is it's own sport. Gymnastics or basketball are both there own sports. This long article thug was written by me Kimberly the awesomely awesomest person ever

• No its not

It's a glorified pageant . Fake tans and 2000 dollar dresses? Seriously. The organizations that put on these competitions are in it for the money.
    An entire industry sucking money from parents worldwide. How much was that wig for your 8 year old girl again?
    Competitive cheer leading is more a sport which says everything!!!

• H h h

S s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s

• It is very challenging but is not a sport

Irish dance is not a sport. It is hard to do, yes, and requires you to be athletic. It is an art. The winner of a sport has to be determined by time, distance, or a scoreboard. Irish dance is judged by the opinion of the judge. The only people who say it is are dancers, which are completely biased.

>