Is it fair for the government to provide shelter and food for the homeless?

• The key word here is "government."

This is my first time posting anything on this site, so please bear with me.

I would like to point out that the question specifically asks if the government should provide shelter and food. The key word here being "government."

Since the government doesn't have a real income, every penny that is spent by our government has to first be taken away from a hard working citizen. I don't believe that the government has the right to take away from one person to give to another because of someone's misfortunes. (I strongly oppose socialism.) Now, what I do believe is simple: we as a society need to step up and help one another. Everyone falls on hard times on occasion. But instead of immediately turning to the government for help, there should be more charities funded by donations. I believe that it is our moral duty as citizens of this country to work together, without the government's assistance, to ensure a brighter future.

I would also like to mention that I believe homeless veterans should be excluded from this equation. Our country and government need to step up their game when it comes to supporting our veterans and that should be left for a completely separate debate.

>