Is it foolish to be proud of your country of origin?

• It's a piece of land

Most countries are divided up based on the current political climate and ultimately it's all just land. The UK and France today are different then they were before. There was no US before the 18th century. Plus, It's something completely irrelevant to the individual as if there were born somewhere else, They would have pride in that country. Doing good for your country is okay, But nationalism shouldn't be a core value.

• Pride over your country of origin is a foolish tribalistic feeling.

If you're proud about your country's accomplishments, should you also be held responsible for the crimes committed by your country?
    You had no role in anything of the past, so you should not be held responsible for it (in my opinion).
    If you're born in a developed, egalitarian nation, it is easy to feel proud about your country, but if you're born in an underdeveloped, corrupt, dirty country like me, pride over something you had no control over seems like a joke.

Pride over your nationality is like being proud about your skin colour or height.

• Nationalism leads to racism which is despicable.

If a country such as mine (UK) has a dirty history, or has institutions that are immoral (Royal Family, hint hint) then there is no reason to be proud of your country. In addition to this, you do not choose the country of your birth so why should that automatically mean you have to parade your nationality round like a smug person.

• Yes, it is petty:

Nationalism is as sensible as what color socks you choose to wear. There is no superiority and therefore nothing to be proud of or take stock in; to be proud of specific elements or the overall quality of life in an area is not blind nationalism nor is it pride in the nation itself but the people contained therein. The country that you do not run that does not benefit or falter from your existence is not a project you should be able to claim you're part of or proud of.

• No it is not

It's not foolish to be proud of your country of origin. Patriotism is something that most people should have as a Core value. Jingoism though is were things get complicated and things become different, but there's a song called "Proud to be an American," for a reason. Showing pride for your nation is patriotism.

• Well, Yes AND No!!!

First off, I don't think it's shameful to be proud of the country you live in. Being a United States citizen, I'm grateful for what freedoms we *still* have. At the same time, it's our government that makes US look bad. Our current political system is in complete disarray. We keep electing the same idiots to run our country, they keep making up bogus laws and none of the important issues are brought to the table. We need to remember, it's "WE, The People" not "They, The Government". You have the right to change the way things are going and speak out against something. I think most people don't realize that and they just keep their mouths sealed at any subject they find too offensive.

So, am I foolish to be proud of my birthplace? I would say Ye and No to that! If our political system was changed, I would like it more.

Posted by: S.K
  • Patriotism is Justified.

It's not foolish to be proud of your country of origin. Patriotism is something that most people should have as a Core value. Jingoism though is were things get complicated and things become different, but there's a song called "Proud to be an American," for a reason. Showing pride for your nation is patriotism. 'Murica!

• No, it is not foolish to be proud of your country of origin,

However, pride can only be 'flaunted' so much. Generally speaking, depending on which country the individual is in, showing too much pride for another country than the one you're in, is disrespectful. Now if the individual is supportive of both countries, and shows pride in both, I do not see where there would be a problem.

>