Is it hypocritical for someone to be pro-life and eat meat?

• Absolutely true in my opinion

An animal breed for meat and a fetus both have no way of defending their interests and can suffer pain, albeit short lived that results in death. Importantly killing an animal for food and a termination are done for selfish reasons and are not usually essential. Therefore a potential abortion and eating meat are a personal moral decision I believe for an individual and the individual alone to make. Personally I choose not to eat meat and would probably have an abortion if I didn't think I was in the right situation to take care of a baby. I don't believe there are any justifications for eating meat that can then no longer apply in a termination situation.

• Yes, of course.

Why does a human have more of a right to live than any other animal? I know this argument is used time and time again but say an alien race came to earth and began to torture, enslave and eventually eat us.. Would you then begin to tell them you have rights? We are not special cases, that is egotistical, we have the same rights as every other living thing. To say you can't kill a human fetus which may or may not feel pain but you can most definitely kill animals we have bred to use and kill is hypocritical.

• Yes It Is.

It is very hypocritical of those who call themselves pro-life to also eat meat. They are clearly not pro-life all together. Otherwise they would convert to Jainism and mourn the life of every bug and germ and animal in the world. They are simply opposed to one issue, which is abortion, and they use the label pro-life to gain some sympathy points along the way.

• It's definitely hypocrisy

If we're being very generous to a fetus, We can say that it has the ability to use its senses and have some rudimentary emotions VERY close to birth. Most abortions are in the first trimester, At which time a fetus cannot use its senses at all, Cannot feel fear or pain (insufficient brain development), Cannot make memories, Cannot have life experiences.

Compare that to the animals we eat: Cows have best friends. Pigs are as smart as toddlers, Very affectionate, And love to play. Chickens can recognize and form opinions about a variety of people and can do simple arithmetic. They can all remember things, Have personalities, Like and dislike things, Form bonds with others, And feel pain and fear.

I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, And by buying meat I know that I support the killing of these animals for my convenience and enjoyment. I struggle with that at times.

If you're pro-life, And you think a form of life as rudimentary as a first-trimester fetus should protected, Then you must, In order to be ethically consistent, Also want to protect the life of more complex and "alive" things like cows and pigs and chickens, Among others.

• Really interesting perspective.

Truly how could one be vegan and believe in supporting and defending sentient life and then be ok with abortion? If there is even the smallest of chance that a fetus(especially after 20 weeks) can feel pain and is sentient why would to take the chance of taking away that life or inflicting great pain?

• I don't eat my family pets

Pro LIFE doesn't just mean human life. It means all LIFE. There should be respect for all LIFE. It is arrogant to place human life above all other LIFE. The survival of our entire planet is dependent on all LIFE, plants, water, soil, oxygen, sun. Everything is constituted of ether, air, fire, earth, water. All LIFE, not just human LIFE.

• Being “pro life” ultimately means that every single “pro life” person on earth should kill themselves.

Just by walking around, you destroy millions of microorganisms. Who’s to say that bacteria doesn’t have a mind of its own because it’s beyond our level of seeing or understanding. If you’re a pro lifer, killing themselves would supplement the earth with new life to be further destroyed by pro lifers. Even if they eat vegitables, they are murdering earths life force and not reciprocating by shitting onto the floor.

• Anthropocentrism is an archaic mindset.

We have relied on animals as a food source of mere convenience for how long now? Its not even economical or resource-friendly anymore. Honestly, it is difficult to cast blame when most people grow up with the systematic breeding and slaughter of "inferior species" as part of the norm. We may be sacred and special but if we are benevolent it certainly doesn't show here.

Still waiting for the arrival of an alien civilization of superior intelligence and technology, yet similar nature as us to come along ad put us in our ethical place. Sometimes I think we could gain a great deal of insight as a species by being dethroned by a similarly indifferent, smug, and violent race.

Abortion is cruel, and in an ideal world unwanted pregnancies wouldn't exist. Fine. But they do. We are fundamentally flawed like that. So, as the supposed "superior beings" on this planet we have both the cognitive faculties to weigh two evils, and the responsibility of putting our intelligence to use in order to choose the lesser evil. It is on us to minimize the suffering we inflict on other entities, fetus, animal, or human.

I'll also be the one to play devil's advocate -dogmatic pun intended- and say that the practice of abortions involves less suffering than forcing a child to be born to unlivable conditions, for example. Anyone born in an environment ravaged by famine, disease, and poverty will tell you straight up how well-off children born of unwanted pregnancies are.

First, there is no such thing as humane slaughter. Second, this is erroneous to reduce this debate to "life or no life" because the root of the issue lies in overall suffering. In the end, the burden of responsibility is ultimately on us to confront moral ambiguity and minimize the suffering of the creatures at our mercy.

Feel free to disagree.

Posted by: QL
  • Abortion is murder....But let me have this juicy steak!

Honestly, I am pro choice and I don't eat meat, which is a bit hypocritical of me. That said, foetuses under 20 weeks are not the same as living, breathing animals.
    Animal farming is horrendous, especially the non free range poultry industry and the dairy industry. Living breathing male chicks are crushed alive because they aren't of value, and cows are constantly impregnated, then have their calves taken away, just to keep them lactating. Animals scream and feel pain.
    Being Pro Life and eating meat is absolutely ridiculous. I would suspect the individuals who eat meat but are anti abortion don't actually care about the unborn babies - they just want control.

• Yes, of course

Animals and humans are equal. No one should be more important. You say everyone has the right to live, right? But you say it while eating goddamn bacon! That makes no sense at all, since "every single being in this world should have the right to live and grow up", as you say.

• This argument oversimplifies two complex issues..

If you want to say someone who eats meat cannot be pro-life, by the same logic, one can argue that someone that does not eat meat (vegans/vegetarians) cannot be pro-choice. This type of thinking, as we should know, is too black and white and assumes too many conclusions before the argument even starts. If vegans want to promote veganism, they should stick to objective facts such as health benefits instead of arguing the ethics which have very few universal standards.

• No what the hell

Wtf this doesnt even compare. Its human versus animals. We are superior beings. How can you think animals are on our level? Its not hypocritical its just mine and many peoples opinion that animals were put on this earth for us. Even if you dont agree you have to admit we are at the top of the food chain due to our superior intellect. Fuck you brainwashed sheep.

• How can anyone Believe This

This is just another logically flawed insult meant to discourage the pro life. In no way shape or form is this a valid pro choice argument, just an insult.

I do not see how it can be considered hypocritically to believe the life of a human child is worth saving from murder and then eat a burger. Seriously, the two things are completely unrelated.

If anything it's the pro choice who are hypocrites. They believe the death penalty should be banned, they believe guns should be banned, and some of them (like everyone who answered yes) even believe meat should be banned, but fail to see anything wrong with murdering a child in the womb.

• I'm pro-choice but this argument is absurd

If you believe that a fetus is a person who has a right to life it doesn't follow that you must also believe that an animal is a person who has a right to life.

Granted there are pro-life vegans.

One could easily make the argument in reverse that if you are vegan and pro-choice you are hypocritical. It makes just as little sense.

• No it isn't

The question makes a category error. Strictly speaking, those who identify as pro-life seek to protect human life through the outlawing of abortion. They argue that human life begins at conception. If we accept that, it follows that abortion is the intentional taking of an innocent human life - murder. Killing and eating animals is not considered murder by most mainstream thinkers and through common sense.

• No, by their position it wouldn't be.

Pro-life people are not being inconsistent or hypocritical, because their beliefs about the beginning of life and the sacredness of it only applies to human life. One thing we have in common with all animals is that we are alive, so it is hard to figure out how, if all life is sacred and begins at conception, we can make the distinction that we are only talking about humans. The logic doesn't follow unless you think that humans are a special case. And the only way we get to be so special is because we and god say so.

• No, It Is Not

There is a world of difference between wishing to protect the life of an unborn child and eating meat. Humans are a tad higher on the food chain than farm animals, so there is no argument to be made that eating a slaughtered cow or pig is just as morally reprehensible as killing an unborn child.

>