Is it rude when someone rolls their eyes at you?

Asked by: dirtygabbchez
  • Just plain rude

Rolling of the eyes at another person does not even need words behind the action: eye rolling is nothing more than contempt, Showing irritance or annoyance, And does not exactly say that the person doing it cares or is welcoming. It is simply passive aggressive facial language or a response.

• I will never tall to you again.

There's this girl who always talks to me with enthusiasm whenever we're around a bunch of people, But every time I speak to her privately she'll listen but roll her eyes as if I'm not understanding that she's trying to disrespect me. The moment I stop talking to her, She runs right back to me. Gtfo and stay tf out.

• Yes it is super rude and impolite

Im not saying this because i feel like ive been slapped in the face. Im sayng this cuz i went through a lot in my life. There was this one girl who would roll her eyes at me whenever she does not like something that i do. But she calls me her bestfriend. Im not going to say her name cuz u probably will look for her. It is not nice. It does not make them look cool or make the other person feel bad. IT MAKES THEM ANGRY. Whoever is reading this please don't. Its not nice to others.

• Many of the arguments in the "NO" side are illogical.

Just because it's a form of expression does not justify such behavior as socially acceptable. It is still disrespectful and a form of poor communication skills. Rather than rolling their eyes, A person should be assertive and express why they are feeling like rolling their eyes. Often times children roll their eyes because they are unable to express their emotions appropriately. When adults roll their eyes it is a sign of immaturity and poor communication skills. Regardless of who is rolling their eyes, It is disrespectful. It communicates contempt for a person, And is a very rude and passive aggressive method for conveying that contempt.

• Rude rude rude

It's the height of bad manners and immaturity , it makes the person on the receiving end feel devalued , it's the height of rudeness , and unfortunately my son has got this perfected to an art much to my disgust , and makes my blood boil and feel sad at same time

• It was very rude to say that eye rolling is annoying for us

So first of all it may upset others if you say eye rolling is rude nah I'll say it is really cruel to say eye rollers are rude because it says they don't want your piece of test saying oh it's really mean so you can shut your mouth or else I will kill you

• Yes, of course it is

I know someone who does this all the time, and when I point it out, they say it doesn't mean anything, that it's just an expression. However, when I further discuss what they were feeling, it was a combination of annoyance, disbelief with annoyance, or contempt with annoyance. Pointing this out, the person still insists the expression means nothing but clearly the expression is matched with feelings of annoyance. However, to the point of the questions, I find it both offensive and rude because they are completely discounting what I am saying as wrong or false, regardless of what the conversation is. That's just plain bad manners - how about you try to understand before you get annoyed at something someone is saying.

• Yes of course

This is very rude. This is very rude rolling your eyes at someone because it shows that they act like if they don't care. My second cousin always does this. Would you consider this rude or is it just me.? This is also another way because they want to provoke you for you to start causing problems.

• Extremely rude and shows a lack of respect for the other person.

I thought that I had a good relationship with my sister in law until I caught her rolling her eyes behind my back. I have health problems and take a medication that mess with my memory when I have to take the med. I was at a family reunion and stumbled upon a word and when my brother (not the one married to her) said the word that I was looking for, she looked at him and made a face and rolled her eyes. I mentioned that when people make faces behind someone's back, they should be sure that they are not standing in front of a mirror at the time where the person could see them. I had always tried to go out of my way to be nice to her but when she did that it made me feel that she was being disrespectful and snooty and I have not felt the same toward her since. I am nice toward her for my brother and nephew's sake, but I no longer trust her or feel as close to her because I wonder how many times she has done this in the past that I didn't notice and how many times she will do it in the future.

• It's so rude!!!!

My "friend" meghan always rolls her eyes at me through text and calls me the b word and im sick of it. I finally called her out on it an called her a brat. I cant even go on because im so pissed at her. But i need five more words so

• Form of Self-expression and body language

Rolling your eyes is a way to express how you are feeling. It is very much like someone crying. If I disagree with someone and for some reason I feel I can't say anything in response I will roll my eyes. Not because I'm trying to be rude, but because it is body language and a subconscious way to express what you feel. People act like it is the most awful thing in the world, but really it is just body language! It is crying, laughing, shrugging, pacing! It is what our body does to show and express emotion. If someone rolls their eyes at me, I may feel insulted, but I wouldn't consider it rude. Expressing your opinion (unless spoken in a way to purposely offend or provoke) is never rude.

• Body language is our most basic and instinctual way of showing and interpreting emotion.

Would you be less offended if someone said "I don't like what you/they just said" than if they rolled their eyes? It actually takes a lot more work for our brains to interpret and verbalize our emotions than it does for our brains to receive and display our emotions in a physical way (body language). Our very first forms of expression are all physical, and we send messages about how we're feeling from birth to death often without realizing were doing it. Think about children in particular; they typically have a limited vocabulary, and an especially limited feelings vocabulary. They aren't going to know to say "I'm disgusted", "I'm perturbed", or "I'm annoyed." They feel those things and the only way they can communicate that to you is by rolling their eyes. Now there are situations in which adults roll their eyes to add a dramatic factor, and these instances may be considered rude. However, it is important to realize that this may be the most accurate way for someone to convey their emotions in a given circumstance.

• Don't be overly sensitive

Someone rolling their eyes is the least rude action to ever make. People roll their eyes when they know they can't change your mind on something but in a way it's showing that they are acting powerless before your opinions and decisions. Calling each other names and sticking up the middle finger can beat rolling eyes out of the water any day. Someone rolling their eyes at me isn't going to illicit any anger from me.

• It's a subconscious response to rudeness/aggressively by others without getting verbally or physically aggressive back

Example: I was walking in the park when I approached a puddle. I gave way for a few people who had approached first, But as I readied myself to move forward, Aggressive, Oblivious people just kept stomping in front of me, Clearly seeing I was waiting to proceed, Not caring, And feeling entitled, Or just unconcerned that it was actually my turn.

As I moved into the lane to proceed, More people tried to stomp in front of me as if they had the right away even though I was waiting and was there first. I had actually politely let dozens of people pass before me.

As people stomped in my way, Trying to prevent me from passing so they could cross and leave me continuing to stand there, I moved ahead anyway and rolled my eyes as I was there first and had already been waiting and it was my turn. As they tried to stomp in front of me, I sighed a little (not overtly) and rolled my eyes - as in, "I can't people these people will not let me pass. . And keep coming and coming and coming with no end in sight. "

This little eye roll prompted a big burly man, One of the entitled stomping passing by to snark at me, "Hey lady, Don't roll your eyes. " to which I responded "I can and will do with my eyes as I wish, Thank you very much. "

Notice how the rude person was acting as if I was rude and then aggressively and verbally tried to assert his dominance. See, The stomping and entitled behavior was a display of dominance as opposed to respect. By asserting my own worth and proceeding when it was my turn and I had space and then rolling my eyes when a burly nasty entitled man tried to force his way in front of me and in my eye. . . Inspired a verbal act of aggression.

When you get annoyed at someone eye rolling you, Consider the source and look to yourselves. Incidentally, I am not a heavy eye roller and am beyond empathic and kind to people. God forbid I stand up for myself and get "stomped" on and roll my eyes at the entitled, Arrogant, Rude behavior of others, And the rude person accuses me of being rude essentially for not being a door mat.

• Depends on the situation and the person that you're talking to

First scenario:
    You are having a conversation about a particular subject and they say soemthing that you disagree with so you roll your eyes at them. This is rude because : A) you are not close enough with the person to be this casual with them and you are in the middle of a serious conversation. You will be perceived as a disrespectful, Arrogant and immature person. B) You should be trying to understand their argument or replying with an argument of your own. There is no excuse for rolling your eyes here. It's just rude.
    Second scenario:
    You are casually bantering with a close friend. He is teasing you about your messy room. He says '' I swear. . I think I'll litteraly get lost for days if i stumble inside your room''. You smile and roll your eyes jokingly saying '' It's not that bad''. This is not rude because : A) you are close to the person so they understand that you are mainly joking and mean no disrespect by it. You are sure that they won't get offended. B) The situation is not serious. You are joking and having fun.

So no, Rolling eyes is not a universally rude gesture in every situation. However, It is rude if done in a serious conversation or while casually talking to strangers, Coworkers, Boss or anyone that you are not close friends with because the gesture will most likely hurt their feelings or anger them as they will interpret it as a sign of disrespect and dismissal of their opinions.

• Way to deal with aggressive people

I roll my eyes when someone is being rude to me, Saying too much irrelevant stuff, When I disagree with someone or to show my annoyance towards someone (for example if I want nothing to do with them) πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‹ πŸ˜‰ 😁 πŸ˜‹ πŸ˜‰ 😁 πŸ˜‹ πŸ˜‰ 😁 πŸ˜‹ πŸ˜‰

• Rolling eyes is disrespectful and demeaning

The person rolling their eyes are showing their contempt and disrespect for the person to which they are doing this immature guesture. People have feelings and when they are disrespected due to the derisive contempt being displayed by the eye roller that person no longer will want to have any communications with that person. My wife does this to me and when I call her on it she says it does not mean anything. This is her way of attempting to gloss over the total disrespect that she has for me. My feelings get trounced upon and I do not want to have any communications with a person that has contempt for me to do such an act. This type of behavior towards me causes me to think that I am not loved and not valued for what I have to contribute to a conversation. Communications is very important to the stability and longevity of a marriage.

• Rolling eyes only considered rude!

When one person says eye rolling is rude, it shifts examination TO eye-roller and AWAY FROM why other person gets annoyed by it.! Is other person Irritated that eye-roller does not agree with something? Insecure about validity of own opinions? Being too self-absorbed? If irritated by eye rolling, examine self!

• It is usually because someone else was rude first.

I rarely roll my eyes. Usually, when I roll my eyes it's because someone else is being aggressive. Yes, I am annoyed but I'm only annoyed that the other person can't stay civil. Understanding is a two way street. The one being aggressive should try to understand me also and not just expect me to be a door mat and let him push me around.

• It is usually a response to someone else being rude first.

I rarely roll my eyes but when I do, it's usually because someone is being aggressive toward me. So yes I am annoyed but I'm annoyed because the other person isn't being civil. Understanding is a two way street and the one being aggressive toward me needs to try to understand me too, not just expect me to roll over and be a door mat.