• Of course they are

Led zeppelin 1 was recorded 9 days after the one month anniversary of the bands lineup. That is very impressive. Jimmy page, he is a legend. Robert Plants ability to sing soft, loud, smooth, bluesy, and wail is outstanding. John Paul Jones was not only the bassist for led zeppelin. He played keyboards, cellos, and not to mention the famous recorder part on the greatest rock song in the world, stairway to heaven.

• Led Zeppelin is faaaaar superior to the Beetles.

Zep created ROCK music, period. They were each masters of their respective instruments/voice. Nobody can come close, as every band after them has only dreamed of being nearly as good. Page is a guitar virtuoso, Plant's voice is second to none, Jones' range of musical talents was operatic, and nobody can top Bonzo's drum pounding.

• Hard to tell, but kind of close.....

The Beatles are in a different category and Pink Floyd is well.... Pink Floyd... Beside these 3 bands, the rest is the second tier.... Even though I love The Velvet Underground, Traffic, Blind Faith, Cream, The Stones, all the way to the Foo Fighters, it is clear that Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Beatles rule... No matter what Rolling Stone says.. And remember that they kind of banned Led Zeppelin for about 6 years. The first Rolling Stone cover with Led Zeppelin was in the mid-70s

• You can't argue this guys, it's obvious.

People who don't like zeppelin never really looked deep into physical graffiti or three, and they only dislike them because they cant understand music, what the purpose of it is and just what it is. If you like other bands more that's alright, but you cannot honestly say one band is technically, innovatively, influentially, better than the other based off of opinion.

• There is no one else that could possibly be better

If you don't like Led Zeppelin than you need to get a life. Everybody knows they are the greatest band there really is no question about it. All I can say is that somebody needs to change the radio station of this pop crap and put on some refreshing Led Zeppelin.

• Never been remotely equaled.

Led Zeppelin had no fawning media like the Stones and Beatles. They became the greatest rock band in the world strictly based on their live performances and studio albums. After all is said and done the music is the bottom line and Ze sounds this fresh and powerful as ever

• Yes unbelievable instrumentalist

Ive been a music aficionado my whole life, ive never heard a band with as much instrumental talent as Zeppelin. Also , ive never heard a band stretch the limits as much as Zeppelin. Along with daring creativity, such a wide range of musical genres all put in one package, they had no limits.This band was not looking for approval from critics or piers. They simply did what turned them on, and in turn , turned us on.

• Influence, Chemistry, Talent, Timing, and Variety.

I'm writing this with the wishful thought that you, the reader, do not already have a preconceived and unwavering opinion of which rock band is the greatest of all time. I also truly hope you're familiar with not only Zeppelin but all the great bands during the golden age of rock.
    This isn't an easy decision by any standard. I love The Beatles, I love The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, AC/DC, Queen, Rush, Hendrix and many more. But, when there is a band with each member lingering in the realm of the Top 5 on every list regarding their specific instrument (or vocals) and they have just the right chemistry, with just the right timing. Well, in the case of the late 60's, you get Led Zeppelin. While a good portion of my favorite music originated in pre-Zeppelin times, the transition from and to is prominent. Often credited as the fathers of heavy rock, it should be noted that Zeppelin encompassed so much more than "rock" throughout their time. They also mastered elements of blues, jazz, soul, funk, and reggae. From 'Kashmir' to 'The Rain Song' and from 'Whole Lotta Love' to 'D'yer Mak'er', they could do it all. Not to mention their catalog is an absolute embarrassment of riches.
    So, I'll cut to the chase. The chemistry was sensational, the timing was impeccable, the talent was off the chart and the influence they've had on rock n' roll, I have no other choice but to deem Led Zeppelin as the greatest rock band of all time. Forgive me Beatles, I still love you dearly and you would be my #2, no hard feelings.

Thank you for reading

• No other band has achieved their level of musical sophistication as well as having a catalogue as unique and accomplished.

Sure in the decades following Zeppelin their have been metal bands who have surpassed them techniquely. Even some of their prog-rock contemporaries may have been techniquely more complex as musicians but quite simply other bands don't reach Zeppelin on their level of musicality. What I mean to say is that Zeppelin were better song writers and that is why their songs remain timeless. If you play an album by Yes for example, it is brilliant but unquestionably falls short as individual songs. If you play a later era album by The Beatles you could argue the songs are as good if not better than Zeppelins but they fall short musically and in a sense, as uncompromising artistic statements. Too often Zeppelin are compared to black sabbath and pink Floyd. Though these bands are also timeless they lack certain aspects of career fulfillment. Sabbath's late 70s work pales miserably in comparison to its early achievements. Sabbath also lacks the diversity of Zeppelin. Pink Floyd may have released musical masterpieces like the Wall and Dark side of the moon but certainly we're not as prolific as Zeppelin. In my opinion, dark side of the moon, wish you were here and the wall are pink Floyd's finest works. Animals is also incredible but is more likely to be appreciated by a true fan rather than the general public, similar to Zeppelins Presence. Taking this into consideration, Pink Floyd has either 3 or 4 defining albums. Zeppelin has 6 pretty much undeniable classic albums, that's excluding their last two. In the years to follow no other group has released 6 albums of that caliber in their career. Even artists as great as Hendrix can't make that claim, despite how profound their influence. Even 90s greats like Nirvana, Soundgarden and rage against the machine can't reach Zeppelins level of artististic fullfilment.

• Because its Led Zeppelin!!

It's Led Zeppelin!!! They have made so many bands go to shame because their music was so inspirational!!!! They took the idea of rock music and blues to a whole new level that no one dared explore. I think the best part is no matter what anyone said about them or despite their "on the road" life, in the end, it was about the music and that's how it should always be. They didn't care about the money it was all about the music. Jimmy Page with his face melting guitar solos, Robert Plant with his bluesy dark vocals, Jonsey with his bad-ass bass lines, and Bonham who was a drummer of steel. Led Zeppelin is like the Iron Man of rock music!!!!!! :D :D This is actually a debate?!?!?!

• Not THE Best

Robert Plant’s screaming vocals and effeminate stage presence limit the range a rock band should have. Jimmy Page’s overlong and overwrought guitar solos are boring and ruin their better songs. They steal their material from established artists and pass it off as their own original compositions. They are mostly a cover band and turn classic blues songs into the typical English (blues) rock started by Cream. They are excellent musicians whose original material is exceptional but not so phenomenal to make them the “greatest” rock band of all time.

• Just a cover band

There is no creative spark. They were simply a group of juvenile delinquents whos fame stemmed from their blatant misbehavior and debauchery. They didn't write the music, They couldn't play the music and not a one of them could hold a note. A blind squirrel finds a nut, Or in this case 4.

• The Song Remains The Same

Whilst Zep had a genuinely original sound many tracks are simply rip offs from other artists. Bonham is a great drummer but hardly ground breaking and Plants voice can genuinely grate on the nerves. I do however like the band but I am aware of its limitations. Compare Zep to the Who and they fade under the true originality of the former. When the who covered a song they called it a cover but when Zep arranged a song they claimed it as their own.

• Are you kidding me?

Beatles - quite simply a phenomenon that the world has never seen before or since. Their originality and creativity has never been matched. And they did it all in less than 10 years and during a time when the technology available to them was so limited. Led Zep - amazing band, but even they admit that the Beatles were the best.

• Led Zeppelin is with no doubt my all time favourite band, their talent, their power, their live performances it's very impressive.

But it's not that Led Zeppelin is the best at all subjects, I never listen to lyrics, but i understand that people who actually do, hate som of their songs because the lyrics are totally random.
    I think that Led Zeppelin is the best band of the 70s, but isn't it a bit overdone to say that Led Zeppelin is much better then bands like the Beatles and the Rolling stones?

• For only one reason.

Queen were the best rock band ever. But Led can come in second place for me. After all they were a big influence on Queen's early sound. They were defining and very influential,but their music stayed back in the 70's. Nobody listen to Led anymore unless you are a fan.

• Led Zeppelin could never overcome bands like: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, The Who...

First of all, because the creativity... Zepp was essentially a covers band. They exploded, literally, the delta blues of the old afro americans, even without recognizing their credits. Second, Zepp's original songs, even though the excellent music, used to have very stupid lyrics. No one can deny that the band was formed by extraordinaries musicians but this fact isn't enough to declare this band as "the best rock 'n roll band ever". There are a lot of bands and artists who deserve this nomination: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Who, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, for instance... Iove Led Zeppelin but there are betters, undoubtedly.

• The who is... The who raised the bar. First man to ever smash their instruments on stage. First band to ever write a rock opera.

The who are the bar. There's nothing more you can do that they have not already done. How can you take legs up and has the best when all they did was remake old blues songs and sing I out lord of the rings and dungeons and dragons . Really what did Zepplin do that is so different

• They're legendary but not the greatest

I like Led Zeppelin, I really do but you gotta ask, how did they really change the game? I mean The Beatles really changed the way we look at music with songs that weren't meant to be popular such as Helter Skelter yet still are huge parts of rock history. KISS, Rush and Queen changed the way we look at concerts. Led Zeppelin is definitely a top 5 but I wouldn't call them the greatest of all time.

• They are confirmed musical thief

They are the greatest musical thief getting credits for songs they just copied and act ted like they are the real author of the songs, how many times others are claiming ownership of the songs they are pretending to have written by themselves? Is that what you call the best?