Is Life in Prison without Parole a Better Option Than the Death Penalty?

• The Death penalty should be abolished!

The topics I will discuss are moral and ethical issues, ineffective crime deterrent, legal and constitutional issues, social issues, and the death penalty vs life in prison. Corporal punishment, also known as “the death penalty” is linked with many moral and ethical implications. These include unreliable sentencing, closure to victims, and its eye for an eye character. There has been a trend of inequitable authority in regard to punishment associated with the death penalty due to social status. Depending on how rich, and what race the accused is influences the the outcome of receiving the death penalty. Additionally there are no statistics to suggest that corporal punishment is an effective crime deterrent. The public opinion in recent years only backs up this claim, with the percentage of americans who wish to abolish the death penalty increasing each year. There has also been a controversial debate about the constitutionality of the death penalty in recent dates. Those who oppose the use of corporal punishment in the justice system argue that the death penalty violates including, but not limited to, cruel and unusual punishment stated in the eighth amendment, deprivation of life, liberty, or property stated in the fifth amendment, and because of social bias, the right of equal protection under the law as given by the fourteenth amendment. Lastly I believe life in prison is a superior punishment than the death penalty. This is because it gives the incarcerated time to reflect on the decisions they brought upon themselves. Not only does corporal punishment cost more to sustain, it also risks the lives of innocent people who have been wrongly accused.

• Yes I suppose the statement

No one has right to kill the other human being .God created us so he has the right to do that . So I think we have only right to punish the criminals who have committed to do horrible crimes .
    If we impose death punishment on the criminal it would be a worst effect on victim and his family also,if we impose the life imprisonment on that criminal on that period we motivate the criminal and direct him to the good path .So that he has to realise his mistake .

• Yes I suppose the statement

• Yes surely life in prison without parole a better opinion

1. If a person commits a mistake which has a deep impact on the victim or victim’s family then life imprisonment is an appropriate punishment.
    2. Capital punishment takes the life of a person which is not a real justice to any crime.
    3. Life imprisonment gives a chance to the criminals to realize their mistakes.
    4. The death penalty costs more, delivers less, and puts innocent lives at risk. Life without parole provides swift, severe, and certain punishment. It provides justice to survivors of murder victims and allows more resources to be invested into solving other murders and preventing violence. Sentencing people to die in prison is the sensible alternative for public safety and murder victims’ families.
    5. First of all, there is no one has the right to take other one's life away. People are born by God, and God is only person who has this right. Human beings should not kill human beings. Even if criminals have committed horrible crimes, the government does not have the right to execute them. Taking those people into prison is a good solution; because this is a deserved punishment for their crimes and this kind of punishment is much more humane than capital punishment. This type of punishment is strong enough to make scare in criminals' minds.
    6. Death penalty would be worse because you don't get that chance to live your life anymore. You just die, whereas if you got the life sentence, you could live the rest of your life, even if it is behind bars, at least you are alive and you get food to eat, a place to sleep, and a place to think and reflect on your past. Even though life sentence can haunt you because of your past, the death penalty ends your life right then and there.

• Life in prison is worse for criminals and better for the people.

The death penalty is far worse then capital punishment because there is no privacy, you sit there for days and just think about your life. It is also hypocritical and cheaper to put them in prison for life then lethal injection. It is also proven that states with the death penalty have higher murder rates then states without the death penalty. As well as 4.1% of people that are executed are innocent. Then if you are a child abuser, pedophile, or molester the criminals themselves will hate you and you have a likely chance of being killed in prison.

• I agree completely

I believe that the death penalty is a waste of money. I also do not want people to die even if they had done something horrific. The people giving the death penalty are murderers! They are sending the message if you kill people you get killed! Not a very good message if you ask me.

• Costs Less, Shorter Process

It costs less than the death penalty and also does not prolong the process of suffering for victims' families, unlike the death penalty does. It is also a good alternative due to the amounts of wrongly convicted people released every year due to being proven not guilty. Lastly, the death penalty does not deter criminals from committing crime (check stats), so there is no point of spending so much money on something that does not work.

• Yes I agree

I agree I agree I agree I agree I agree I definitely agree I I I I I I I ii I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I agree yes

• Yes I agree

• Yes I agree

• No, the death penalty still makes society whole.

No, life in prison without parole is not a better option than the death penalty, because it is still important for society to have retribution. Retribution is important so that society is made whole from the harm that it has caused. It is important that victims know that their offenders can still receive the ultimate punishment.

• No, the death penalty can be a deterrent.

Life in prison without the chance of parole is what (at this time) eighteen states have turned to, instead of capital punishment. However, capital punishment, or the death penalty, can be a deterrent when used as a threat against people who commit crimes. It sends a message to anyone considering a violent crime that there can be dire consequences, and it sends a message to society and victims that horrendous acts will not be tolerated or condoned.

• It is more effective and humane

Let's talk about death row. It's the waiting time that inmates go through before they are executed. It can take years and suicide is common. Inmates are forced into cramped solitary cells. For days they may never see another human, and often go insane. Now lets go to life in prison. Prisons in America are awful. Many of the worst criminals are forced into solitary also. But there's a catch. Instead of waiting for a couple of years, they wait for there whole lives. It's quite simple really. They didn't even need to be executed, most of them are already dead. Their lives no longer have purpose. There is nothing worse.

• A Humane Death is Less Cruel Than Life in a Cage

First of all, religion doesn't belong in this debate. Nearly all of the arguments against the death penalty boil down to "only my imaginary friend can decide when people die". Sure, employees of a prison have every right to refuse to administer the death penalty but no law should be formed around Christianity or any other religion.

I, personally, would much rather take a lethal injection than rot in a jail cell for every day of every year for the rest of my "life". That's effectively the same as being dead with the added downsides of perpetual boredom and decades of leeching on the rest of society. I'd even take it a step further and propose that anyone with a life sentence should be offered death as an alternative.

• Life in prison is a slow painful death

1.Most people think that once a person is sentence to death is faster but its not there are appeals and there is taxation money but also there is the justification for the victim and the family members of such victims and if we think about it putting them to death for the brutal crime seems fair however if we as Americans can do it faster and cheaper it would be better. I am not trying to say I'm all for it because we are also humans and make mistakes and kill innocent people who were convicted of a crime that they didn't commit and is later found out that they were innocent. However we have the people who break out from prison and have been sentenced to life in prison and that is also not good. Life in Prison to me is a slow death as you are incarcerated, you are being bullied within the prison, the food is not good and the medical care sucks. Death frees you from that and a lot of people on death row even ask to waive their appeals so they can go faster. It is hard to think you as a person could spend a lifetime behind bars for committing a crime when you had the choice to be put to death. I would choose death over a lifetime of suffering. I know not many people see it this way but just put yourself in their shoes and if you did a crime that was so bad and knew that it was either or way that could go with you..What would you choose to be put to death or to be locked up for the rest of your life knowing your family members have passed on and you can't attend their funeral, knowing your wife just had your baby and you can't be there to raise it and knowing your little sister just graduated college and you can't be at her graduation...I know most people would say but you shouldn't have committed the crime to begin with and I agree but a lot of the times criminals don't really think about the consequences and is until later that they realize what they gave up after committing the crime, so if you are to stay alive and know all of this is going on and you're in there being bullied, eating a meal that you are bored of and when you get sick you can't really get medication unless you're really and I mean extremely sick but have to endure a cold or the flu without medication, having to share a toilet with a group of people and having to share the shower. I couldn't do that if they gave me a choice to me it would be to die rather than live.

• You kill a homie you deserve to die

Eye for an eye, plain and simple, there's nothing to it. You take a life you're life should be taken as well. You don't just accidentally kill someone. Boy you shot or stabbed someone you need to die, plain and simple. Don't be dumb, point and case, thank you !!!

• Rewards the most horrible killer

Vote NO on Proposition 62, if you do you will support the death penalty, instead of having life imprisonment. The proposition will to reward the most heinous killers, by putting them in jail, instead of executing them. For an example a criminal named Nayeri, 37, kidnapped and attacked a man, has broken out of prison and put other people in danger (cnn.Com). The criminals need to have a higher level of punishment, despite how bad the crime was they committed. If the crime is bad, such as kidnapping, torturing or killing someone, the criminals need to have a worse punishment than staying in jail for the rest of their lives. The family knows that the killer is nowhere, and that he can not hurt them because he is not in jail. The victims families will now have compensation for the death of their loved one. If you vote yes prop 62 you are giving the criminals a reward for their crime.

• Nope no no

Costs more 3efhebd hdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdh wen wpein wijn whrb wb webf efb ef efwpirjxi3rhx 4rb 4rb 3rj 3rueh2 fehf fhff fhf f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f ff f f

• No. Waste of money

It is a waste of taxpayers money to keep criminals who deserves death penalty in prison for life without parole. Currently it takes way too long for these murderers to be put to death. They have committed horrific crimes and should be put to death after a short jail time.

• Trapped in solitary confinement for life or just end your life?

Though life in prison may sound 10 times easier to choose, the death penalty is way less torturing and is faster. Also, if in prison for life, the people that care of you have to provide food, clothing, and every other necessity in living. In prison, you can't do anything anyways because your basically trapped for the rest of your life, which is equal to just ending your life because you can't do anything after you die.

>