• Personal experience, logic>emotion

I have made some pretty stupid decisions based on emotions which i deeply regret. I will not go into the details, but i know that if I had used logic, things would have turned out differently, and for the better. That said, a world without emotion would be boring but a world without logic would be a catastrophe.

• Are you serious?

So are you really going to make a decision based on how you feel instead of what is the right decisions logically? That's why the homeless man spends his money on the liquor store instead of food. That's why women are so irrational in who they are attracted to. It is what it is. If you don't respect logic as the underlying formula for decision making you are simply an idiot.

• Dont confuse emotion witg morality.

Logic does not mean to disregard emotion. That would be illogical because emotion exists. Jt just means to not let how you feel if you are angry ir vengeful ir overexcited dictate your actions, but the fact of the situation. Being logical does not make you "cold." you can still have empathy for others and do what is the most beneficial for the most people.

• Logic is Stronger than Emotion

If you were in a professional debate, would you enter and speak through proof, logic and reason, or try to win the debate through emotions and feelings? Obviously, the person who provided the evidence would win the debate.
    Metaphorically speaking, the brain is the person getting up and doing something while the heart is the person sitting down and praying.

• Logic is Survival

A person with only emotions wouldn't be able to live very long, he wouldn't possess the knowledge to make the right choices ti live. A person with only logic may not feel anything but would live much longer because he has the ability to actually think about the smarter decision. In that aspect, if I could choose to only one then logic would be my friend.

• Ultimately Yes But It's Not That Simple

Ok look, ultimately, yes, it is superior. According to Maslow's hierarchy of needs the bottom two levels of the pyramid can be obtained using logic, and yet not with emotion. The first two levels of the pyramid are physiological needs (sleep and food and water and physical needs) and the second is safety (health, safety of the body, etc.). Seeing as they can both be obtained using logic yet not with emotion, then I believe logic is better.

ON THE OTHER HAND. As far as a normal everyday life goes, logic and emotion compliment each other. For example, technology, a product of logic, can't be enjoyed without emotion, enjoyment being a product of emotion. If we didn't have logic we would all be very depressed as there would be no technology and we'd still be in the stone age, maybe happy with our lives, maybe not I couldn't tell you, but I can tell you without logic there would be no science and without science life would be pretty hard and boring. No wheels. Think about it. You can't be happy with only one, and any lack of one leads to a problem with the other. They're equal in that respect but ultimately, when considering the hierarchy of needs, logic is dominant.

• Logic is leagues above emotion.

Yes, I must acknowledge the fact that emotions rule when it comes to decision making; over 80% of our choices stem from emotion. However, is it for the better? Impulse buying, for example, is when you see an item in a store that you desperately want, and go against your budget for. That's caused by EMOTION. We tend to fall in love with men/ women who look the most attracting, yet they might not be the best people in general. That's EMOTION. Advertisements with something to make you feel (like putting puppies in a pizza commercial--yes this exists) generally are more successful than ones with facts and figures. That's EMOTION. We tend to listen to the beat or rhythm of a catchy song, yet we might not realize its topics (be it political, inappropriate, etc.). That's EMOTION.

If we were to rely on logical figures instead, then we might have a chance at being more a steady, level-headed population. We could have proper discussions about serious matters. We might be richer, as we saved up. We could stand firmly when it comes to opinions, and not crumble due to overwhelming emotions. We could calmly protest. Sure, life might be boring, but it seems that the benefits outweigh the doubts.

• Emotions function partly as "subconscious" logic reasoning.

Though I can provide no proper evidence to support this claim, I believe that emotions are products of calculations that occur slightly "below" our active conscious reasoning. I use the term "slightly 'below'" because many times a reevaluation of why an individual experienced a certain emotion reveals a reasonable stimulus. Sometimes, the calculations occur deeply enough, however, that the premises for the resulting emotional support are lost to the individual. I believe an emotion like anger results from the previous belief or hope that one outcome will occur that does not in reality, followed by realization of some unsettling consequence of the outcome, and finally, the placing of blame on whoever or whatever the individual believes was at fault for causing the outcome to occur. These steps use some manner of logic, whether the logic is sound or not.

As I see it, emotions are a form of logical focuses. They place boundaries around the logic paths an individual will consider and exclude logic paths that lie outside. In some circumstances, the lesser pools of logic paths to consider might make truthful paths within the boundaries more likely to be used, as a matter of probabilities.

I am aware that physiological functioning below active consciousness (ie. Hormones, "stomach brain") is partly responsible for the emotions human's experience, which is why I claim that emotions function at least party as subconscious logic. However, one could think of physiological functioning as orders commanded by subconscious logic of the brain.

Some assumptions I make for the conclusion that emotions function party as subconscious reasoning logic, are:

1) Human brains function as "meat computers". I see active consciousness as the user interface of these computers. Though many complex operations are required for a single thought to occur, the individual is only aware of any activity once the thought arrives.

2) Continued existence of the human species required that our brains use logic to operate. A brain that calculated randomly without reason would find best solutions much less often and would fail to propagate. I do not claim, however, that our brains operate with perfect logic, obviously. I see the imperfections, the logical failures in our thinking, as vestigial tendencies to generalize falsely (or fail to generalize when appropriate). Though unjustified generalizations might keep an individual alive, they bring the individual no closer to the truth.

• Logic over Emotion

In my opinion, logic in decisions should have more weight than emotion. This doesn't mean emotion can't be a factor but pure logic is unwavering. Its near impossible to argue with cold facts, while emotions and opinions vary from person to person. Though we should not negate emotions entirely, it should not overshadow the facts that already exist.

• Because logical and facts based decisions will remain constant.

I believe logic should trump emotions. For example, if something is factual, it is tested and proven by many scientists who specializes in that field. So, you can save time and resources by not having to go through the same trial and error. Therefore, it would be logical to accept the result of this finding and utilize it to gain competitive advantage. When you decide through the use of emotions, this will not be helpful to you, because there is nothing that holds it down, there wouldn't be anything that will justify your decision. At the same time, you will be burdened by the anxiety, asking yourself if you actually made the right decision.

• Emotions created logic.

@ Theeunkown Actually, it is the opposite, a world without emotion would be catastrophic.
    "I have made some pretty stupid decisions based on emotions which i deeply regret." Even right now the motivation for your answer to be logic is emotion as you've stated yourself.
    "Good, bad, catastrophe, stupid,regret..." those are all words that represent our emotions.
    "A world without emotion would be boring" This is not true, for we would not know what "boring" even feels like or even is, in a world of logic.
    Hunger, the need to eat. Logic is not what drives you to eat.
    Survival, Life is what drives you to eat.
    The word "need" is emotion at its most raw state. It is that need that drives us to live, eat, reproduce.
    Reproduce, it's called making "love" for a good reason. We are the product of "love" so we would not exist if it weren't for "love" "Passion" "lust" If not, it would be called making "thought". If we did not have emotion, We wouldn't be able to exist at all. There would be no motivation to do or be anything.
    "Logic" is just a tool we use to "focus" our emotions. It is the "knife sharpener". Whilst emotion is the "knife".

• Emotions created logic.

• It's called Wise Mind.

The combination of both the logical/reasonable mind and emotional/feeling mind is what helps create the yin yang of decision making. Wise Mind is what therapists and others call a DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy) skill. DBT is a special type of cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy that was developed around the late 1980's to help treat borderline personality disorder, but was later adopted to be used for many types of mental health disorders (1). It was created by psychologist Marsha M. Linehan whose primary research revolves around borderline personality disorder. DBT is the combination of behavioral science and Buddhism concepts (2).
    I have had first hand experience with this type of therapy and I strongly believe it benefits everyone.

(1) http://psychcentral.com/lib/an-overview-of-dialectical-behavior-therapy/0001096
    (2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsha_M._Linehan

• We Need Them Both

None is better than the other. Logic is good in places where you need to use wit to get out of problems. Conversely, emotions are good at helping us decide somtheing-example: I won't murder because the other person would feel pain and I'd feel guilty. Empathy is what binds us together! Logic helps solve some things, but emotions are what makes things mean SOMETHING to us!

• It makes us who we are

I know to many people that make decisions in the moment and then go back and think about it and realize that it was stupid. People get blinded by their emotions and it'll make you think irrationally. Logic is what helps us think through what we are about to say or do in a situation. Emotions help us see all the good in life as well as all of the bad. It is logic that helps us process it and know how to differentiate it. We need both to live and survive and to be who we are.

• This is completely obsolete

Emotions and logic are equal, the only reason I voted yes is because I had to put my opinion somewhere. All things mind, and all living things in your body work for a higher purpose. We need emotions and logic, better yet we need neither, but they are both useful traits that many people would be devastated for them to be taken away

• Not saying emotion is better than logic either; First we must define "logic" and "emotion"

What counts as "emotion"? Ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different answers. At its broadest definition "emotion" would include anytime you have an opinion on anything. Even if your opinion is based in logic then it's logically connected to some sort of end that you are emotionally invested in. However I've seen people define "emotion" down to smaller parameters. When scientists talk about "emotion" in the brain they rarely bother specifying how they defined "emotion" for the study, what they counted and what they didn't count as "emotion".

Using the broadest definition possible it is impossible to have no emotions unless you are catatonic (and even then there may be emotional reasons why you are just sitting still not speaking or moving all the time, though one could be catatonic and the reason could just be that they aren't motivated to do anything)! Even if you are apathetically doing things thinking "I'll do X because sure why not" it can still be said to constitute an emotion in favor of "X" just not one that's very intense.

However without logic, say you had no logic at all you could want X but always fail at figuring out the best way of obtaining it. Of course to be 100% void of logic a person would have to be severely retarded. Though even that statement depends on what we're counting as "logic".

>