• Love is a positive word.

Words are only empty containers. We fill the container with our meaning. It can be filled with an image, A taste, A sound, A touch, A smell, Or an emotion. It's a passing of information between myself and you. What this means is that it is subjective. Love may mean something different to me than it does to you.

For example, When I say "cat", I mean that furry creature with whiskers that waltzes around doing as it wants. You instantly imagine the animal in your own mind.

Or when I say "poop", I mean the squishy brown turd. You instantly imagine a brown substance OR you imagine a person you hate.

So when I say "love. " What do you envision? I mean a certain thing, But what does do to your mind? How does it make you feel? What does it make you see? What does love smell like, Taste like?

Is it positive? Do you feel good?

• Love is a Positive, Overused Word

Just because something is overused doesn't make it negative. When someone says, "Oh my god I love this singer!" or, "Love you girlfriend!" even though it's vapid nonsense, it's still positive. It's still a good connotation. It may not mean as much as it used to, but this isn't the mark of a negative word; it's what some could deem as a negative effect on a positive word, which doesn't make the positive word negative. It just means that you're aware of the negative effect and don't like it. You still like the word. Otherwise, why would you not like the negative effect of "love" losing meaning? You just wish it meant as much as you think it should. Still a positive word though.

Posted by: Turl
  • Love is a kind word.

Love is definitely a kind word because any time somebody uses the word love it always means they feel positive about that thing, even if the thing may not be truly positive they still have a positive opinion about the thing. Therefore love is definitely a very positive word in the English Language.

• People take the word Love too easily.

That is actually quite true. Think about it. Almost every day, you hear your classmates say "Oh my gosh!! I love this singer!!" or probably when they get a gift they will hug the other and say "I love you!". For others, love can also be pressurising. Some people can say "If you love me, then steal this for me." It's like peer pressure. The word, love, itself is already taken for granted. Everyone around you says that almost all the time, but do they actually mean what they are saying? In families, your parents tell you to say I love you to your siblings or themselves. Because they are your parents and you are supposed to respect them, you listen to them, of course. But then it becomes an everyday routine, where you say to everyone in your family "Bye, I love you!" or "Love you, good night". So this is why I stand to the fact that love is not a positive word.

• Love is a noun

Words are generally described as positive or negative or kind or nasty on what they describe. A noun is not a description; it is a statement of being. For example, if i said 'I have a knife.' This implies one of two things. Either I am threatening you with the use of a knife, or I am making you aware to my possession of a knife. Either way, I am not saying whether i intend to cook or to stab you because i am simply using a noun. Using this principle, Love, as a noun, offers no context or description, as it is not an adjective and thus offers no positive or negative connotations of what it describes.
    Yes popular opinion of a noun may seem to give it positive connotations, but the word itself is completely neutral.

• Love is a kind word.

Also, "slut" is a positive word.

>