• The opposing arguments don't make sense.

I'm assuming the first "sport" you think of is either football, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, or any other than requires physical activity. However. NO WHERE does it say you have to be in a fit condition (or "pretty") to be in a sport or the activity you are doing to be a sport. As a reminder, bowling is a sport. So is ping pong. So are golfing and -believe it or not I am correct (http://www.Ballooninghistory.Com) - ballooning. It does not take physical work, strength or endurance to be a sport, but physical/mental skill. Marching band may not be as much as a workout as football, but it combines both mental coordination, physical memory and a learned march that you have to perform. The band has practices for the music and for the marching show that take hours after school and some schools even have the band show up months before school even begins. I know some kids might not be "pretty" and some may be fat, but they have learned that skill and if they are a good players and marchers, then they are a part of out team. Even if I am biased because I am in a marching band, most of my friends that are not agree, with me. On another point, it is by definition, a sport. The definition by dictionary.Com of sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature" going back "athletic acivity requiring skill or physical prowness" Skill. If playing an instrument while marching backwards at 150bpm and playing sixteenth notes -and all well- is not skill, then please, enlighten me. Also, "competitive nature" yes. There are marching band competitions, and while maybe they are not so serious in the highschool level, there are DCIs and other groups that compete in national championships. If there is anything I've missed or any other arguments that you come up with, please tell me.

• I strongly disagree with the opposing arguments.

• Well, of course it is.

"Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

Under this definition, marching band at all levels, especially DCI is a asport. This is the same reason cheerleading, dancing, etc. Are all sports. When you are competing, and exerting energy to win, you are involved in a asport.

• Depends on the Context of the Situation

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. Being that we pay twice as much as the other sports and that we CAN FUNCTION without the help of funding, it's fair that it's considered one of the fall sports. Otherwise, the only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

I DO believe marching band at the collegiate level is a sport. Everyone is willing to be there, MULTIPLE (this means more than one) shows are memorized. Ohio State does a new show EVERY WEEK. Practices are more frequent, traveling is more frequent, and being physically fit is essential to success.

In addition, DCI (Drum Corps International) is without question a sport. You spend 10 months (November-August) out of the year for the season, with you being away from civilization for 4 of those months (May-August). Practices are typically all day, and being physically fit is a requirement. I plan on auditioning for a few corps within the next few years, and it has been more physically demanding than anything else I have ever done. Plus, you PAY to be in DCI (around $3,000), which is definitely different than getting paid for other sports.

So, in the right context, marching band is definitely a sport.

• In the Right Context

I do not believe that high school marching band is considered a sport. The only people who work very hard are the drumline, drum majors, sousaphone/marching tubas, and the directors. The other players do not have to be very athletic. In my four years (I am a Senior currently), I played trombone for three years, and I did drum major this past season. I could get away with not trying too terribly hard, being my band had more than 100 people in it. As a drum major, you couldn't get away with mistakes (the band watches you). The majority of the band was lazy, not athletic, and against physical training. Half of our band barely did 2 laps around the school's faculty parking lot..

HOWEVER:

• It is, B

We do more physical activity, And invest more of our time into what we do than we would a regular two semester PE class, But only get 1/4 of a PE credit. Think about this, Golf is a sport, But they only have to hit a ball with a stick and walk a few miles. So tell me, How is that a sport and not marching band? How is BOWLING a sport and not marching band?

• Band is a sport

First of all, All of you saying band is not a sport are the main ones sleeping eating and not doing anything, So like. . . . Move along lmao
    second band has A LOT of physical activity like people are always saying "don't judge a book by its cover" well then don't judge the DAMN book by it cover lol. Everyone thinks that we just march around playing our insturments well for starters i don't know if many of you know this but there are different ways of marching theres straight leg marching which builds muscle in the leg BTW and theres bend marching and your literslly bending your legs while marching around which is like a squat position but moving around. Another thing when we mess up there are a lot of bands that have consequences for there mistakes some being having to do push ups so. . . Yea and those of you all coming at people and there weight IM DEADDD because bihh last i recall since im in band its like mandatory that we have to go to the football games and so every weekend im seeing all these football players from different areas and school districts and i never see a football team with people that are out of shape some even worse than our tuba players. I know a lot of people ave big heads and a big ego so they probably would read this and still think they are correct but i did not type this to change you all's minds i could care less i was raised that if i don't agree with your argument and i have strong reasons why and GOOD information and experience to back it up then i won't even listen to your idiotic comments so i just wrote this here for those who are willing to allow me to explain why band is a sport not for the big heads because all they want is attention :)) also i used to have the same mindset that band was for nerds etc etc, But it changed once i ACTUALLY GOT IN IT and im not a lame looser nerd, And not lesbian maybe bi but who's not lmao ;))

• Band is a sport.

You say it is for fatties and nerd or lesbians i would like to see you aholes try this stuff. Some band member may be strait or gay a band and its members should be like family and not care if your gay or strait its about the music and the family you make in band.

• There are too many ways this is a sport.

I'm just going to be lazy and make you look at everyone else's posts because I would say the exact same thing that they would. Just a summary; DCI, Grand Nationals (high school), And Google. Google says;

"an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. "

IT'S FOR ME AND MANY OTHER'S ENTERTAINMENT DAMMIT! And the amount of physical training they have to go through, It's more than most other sports, Except college and pro teams. So there.

• Meets all requirements, Both technical and subjective.

Competitive? Obviously. Granted the competition is usually friendly, But it objectively exists.

Team work? Absolutely -- marching band is the ultimate team sport.

Physical skill? Must be. You don't perfect your marching technique, Manipulate your instrument to maximum effect, Or keep yourself in perfect formation by just thinking about it. All of that requires concerted, Repeated physical training.

• Marching band is for fatties and nerds.

I strongly believe that marching band is not a sport because all the anime freaks and lesbians. How is strutting around with a trumpet a sport? If it was a sport they would not be fat!!!!!!!!!!! I get that tubas are heavy but their body weight is a lot heavier. Instead of marching band camp, they need a fat camp.

• Marching Band is not a sport

Marching band is a competition not a sport. While band may not be easy, make no mistake, it is an art, not a sport. While band, specifically marching band, may require a small amount of physical fitness and coordination, there is no way that it can be considered a sport.

• Sorry, But I found this entertaining.

This poll is skewed because the number of people that will find this page is going to generally be the more nerdy and the type who wish to prove that they are right to the rest of the world. Sorry, Just thought that was exceedingly funny.

I believe that marching band is not a sport is because they practice the what will happen without an opposing group competing to either do it better or trying to directly harm them/their efforts. I don't really care for winning this, Just wanted my opinion out there.

• ITs not a sport

Lets say i walk around eating sandwich is that a sport. Thats pretty much what marching band is. They walk around blowing on their instruments doing stupid things. I do think it takes a lot of skill and is harder than a lot of sports but i just don't qualify it as a sport due to the stupidity of the argument

• Is everything a sport now?

Many of the arguments for marching band being a sport state that physical activity, Memorization, And competition make marching band a sport. If that is the case then drama is a sport too because they move sets, Memorize lines and dance sequences, And compete at regional, State, And national levels. If we say that marching band is a sport then I think we have to call everything a sport and then nothing is a sport. Food for thought.

• Marching band will never be a sport

It isn't physically challenging to anyone in shape. The heaviest Bras instrument is 50lbs at most, and thats the heaviest of them. The majority are much less, and 50lbs is nothing anyway. Its talent based, requires hard work, memorization and skill. It is a competition. It isn't physical though. Walking or marching with a 100lb instrument wouldnt make it a sport. It's not physically based.

• No, marching band is not a sport.

While it does require more than a minimal amount of physical activity, that doesn't automatically make it a sport. It has to do with music, so what's wrong with classifying it in a similar way to that of a choir or orchestra? Just because you can get gym credits by doing it doesn't make it a sport. Carrying a heavy instrument is far from athletic, and playing fast notes does not make it physically exerting. Requiring skill doesn't make it a sport either. Eating competitions could be considered sports by these terms: They require physical effort, require lots of skill, and are competitive.
    I think I've made my point pretty clear. I am open to other opinions though. Cheers! :)

• Marching band is not a sport

The point of a sport is to show athletic prowess and to train to be better at the physical as well as metal aspects. While marching band does require some mental and physical strength, Marching band’s focus is on the artistic and musical aspects. Marching bands focus on something other than team work or physical ability makes it not a sport.

• Unfortunately it isn't

Marching band is music there is no competitive music, there is not much physical exertion I mean you can work hard carry that heavy instrument around but at the end of the day society doesn't view band as a sport we all have this ideal vision of sport (big muscle people,sweat,Gatorade commercials,etc.) an ideal that marching band doesn't fit into because media portrays band members as pimple faced pubescent fat kids which isn't true, a lot of people go by whatever media says but personally I believe marching band isn't a sport

• How can it be a sport if you don’t need a physical?

You don’t need a physical to be a member of the marching band. In the state of Kentucky you are required to have an updated physical every year that you are participating in a sport in middle or high school. Marching band is not required to have one because in the state of Kentucky marching band is not seen as a sport. Secondly they do not have to perform a annual drug test like all of the other fall sports. If you are an athlete in the state of Kentucky you are required to take a drug test every few months(not sure on the exact time), Marching band therefore is not a sport.

Yeetcoeschann says2018-10-22T04:30:03.840
Yes marching band is a sport due to multiple reasons including:
-requires skill
-requires SOME level of athleticism
-requires practice
-often requires a physical exam
-often givesPE credits
(If golf, Bowling, And racing are sports, Why not marching band? )
>