• There is plenty of good music today.

You just have to look for it. Really, I'm sick of all these twelve year olds saying "Waaaah why wasn't I born in [insert time here]? All modern music is crap! Waaaaah!" It's amazing that such an unfounded viewpoint still exists today. You want good music? Then freaking look for it. (DDO won't let me say the word I want to. Damn censoring.)

• Good music has changed, but never has left

It is a natural human phenomena to think that music was better back in the day. This is because you don't listen to any of the garbage that came out back then anymore, therefore you don't remember it and you only remember the best songs. With modern music, you hear the garbage every day which is why it seems that music was better. You are comparing the best music of previous decades to the worst music of today. I guarantee you if you went back to the old days and asked someone, they would say all of the music of their time was awful.

On the other hand, while there is plenty of trash in the music industry, accounting for usually around 30 of the top 40 songs each week, there still is plenty of good music to go around, you just have to look harder. Occasionally some really really good songs come out, like for example All of the Lights by Kanye West, The Show Goes on by Lupe Fiasco, Chandelier by Sia, Rap God by Eminem, and See You Again by Wiz Khalifa. I call these songs golden nuggets because you have to shovel through a lot of crap to find them, but they are gems of the music industry.

• Well, There's some good European music?

Most English-speakers get stuck in the English-Spanish language sphere. (Spanish only recently, Due to more exposure. ) Foreign groups and artists are normally reasonably better than their English-speaking counterparts (modern ones. English-speakers used to rival the rest of the world. ), But these people just don't get exposure in the English-speaking world except for niche genres. Also, Some English and Spanish popular music is actually quite good and has effort put into it, But the lyrics, Well, Ignoring them, They are played on digital and via CD. You can't appreciate music like that the same way you can on vinyl. On vinyl there's a lot of natural musical quality (such as the low end interference) that causes a feeling to human ears that digital can't replicate.

• Modern music is good

For every year and decade you will find good music and bad music, some people like to focus on the negatives, everyone also as their own opinions on what is good and bad. Opinions are what make music great. The simple lyrics people complain about with pop artists aren't always there, listen to lorde. Folk music and indie is amazing, try the likes of Keaton Henson. Ella Fitzgerald never wrote her own songs but she was great, so why is it such an issue that Beyoncé doesn't write her own music.

• Modern popular music is bad

I think that modern popular music is bad because it has lot of bad words in it such as in the hiphop, but classic don't have any of it and gives us peace while listening to the music. However, k-pop is always loud and it only tells about the love story that they had, but classic describes the composer's mind. These are some good points about the classical music.

• The majority of music creation in any time period is substandard garbage

Time is the great equalizer and filter. Most of the music being created in the time of Mozart was low quality drivel (take a look at his father's dreadful keyboard works for example), as is most of the music being created today. The passage of time narrows the amount of music that is retained, listened to and celebrated. The cream tends to rise to the top and the crud is quickly forgotten (thankfully). This is known as the "Music Canon". The further back in time you go, the smaller the canon becomes (for example, very little music of the middle ages has been retained in the canon). There is always great music being created in any time period, although such is but a minor fraction of the total output of music creation. If I had to be critical of present day current popular music, it would be that so many songs I hear on the radio are comprised entirely of 4 or less triads (chords). From the perspective of a classical composer, this is cave-man/chimpanzee level sophistication. One last point - whether the correct music of a given time period is canonized or not is of course is a separate issue. I am referring to the problem of understanding/ascertaining who determines the canon. It is a flawed and complicated process in itself.

• Music is on decline...

There was a time when even popular music was musical settings of classical literature, or at least had classical-sounding lyrics. That was when my Dad was a kid. Even if the melodies and harmonies were not particularly imaginative, you can still enjoy the lyrics.

These days, the most popular songs have simple motifs, meaningless lyrics and no creativity. There is no thematic development, the lyrics are mostly about relationships, and they just repeat the same stuff over and over, as if they dozed off in their third-grade music class right after their teacher mentioned 'repetition' and just before she mentioned 'imitation'. Like cludwig said... A lot of them repeat a few chords over and over. Yiruma, for example, is very good at CTRL+C CTRL+V... I don't understand why anyone would want to listen to a piece of music when there isn't an ounce of creativity in it. In a word, modern pop is boring.

• That's a Complicated Question

The majority of popular music is typically popular because it is the least complex and applies to the widest audience base. We like songs because our brains are wired to treat music like a puzzle. The easier the puzzle is to figure out, the more we like that particular puzzle. This is why the most popular songs are frequently catchy and repetitive; they are made so that the largest amount of people can understand the musical concepts within them. Alternatively, the more complex a musical piece is, the more difficult it is to understand, and the fewer people that will appreciate it. This is why revolutionary songs or complex musical scores are seldom considered popular, even if they are extremely well written.

• Two words gucci gang (repeated about 47 times)

Most modern pop music is garbage. It is becoming more and more repetitive as well as most of the songs sounding the same. Yes, There can be some decent, Complex songs, But those usually do not get any attention. We shouldn't have to dig through the web to find a single decent modern song, And we shouldn't have to endure extreme repetition. Lil pumps gucci gang is an example of terrible music being popular. Sadly most of the people who listen to him say his music is good, But then if i am to play any of the music i have around them, They complain that mine sucks, And that it scares them (not because they can not understand the words, It is because it is less repetitive than they want)

• Modern music is gross

If a kid listened to that and grew up with that he'd turn out disgusting and gross. Once those kids grow up the world will be wierd with a bunch of creeps and hmm i dont want to say the rest but even songs can ruin peoples lives today old songs where inspirational like man in the mirror or pressure noits trash

• Modern music sucks

Really, today's music just doesn't appeal to me. Rapping is the worst because the rappers are just talking at a fast tempo, not singing. The Beatles were the greatest band ever, they sang. Other popular bands in 1960- 1990 were great. I don't understand why the majority of the public likes this song.

• Truthfully,all modern music really is dumb.

Lots of popular music is just dumb and bad. Though Weird Al and a few others are good, most is just pretty bad. Seriously, how do people prefer 7 years and stuff like that over the greats like Michael Jackson, Queen, AC/DC, Metallica, Ozzy Ozbourne, etc? But everyone has there own opinions.

• No, it is not good in any shape way or form.

People who argue against this assertion claim that the only reason that we think that old stuff was better is because the bad stuff that was produced then was filtered out. This argument however misses one important thing aspect. It fails to recognize the fact that the greatest hits of that era are still playing every time I turn the radio on. I do not hear any of the modern stuff at all. It really is something that is worth pointing out. Not only on the radio, but in some stores and even in malls, I can hear the tunes that are decades old, and yet nobody gets tired of listening to them

• Modern music is really bad, to the point there is nothing worth listening to. I realize there is likely good music I don't hear

Listen to the radio, listen to the radio, did I meet my 50 yet? Listen to the radio, listen to the radio listen to the radio listen to the radio listen to the radio, this minimum word requirement is kind of a waste ot time, five more there we go

• F*** modern music

Of course at the end of the 90s, autotune was created, which began to be more and more used overtime. Now every song has to for some reason use it. To become a famous artist today, all you need is money. No, you don't need to have a good voice anymore. I am a teen, so all of the people who I talk to love that crap. My selection of music is somewhat old, I like classic rock from the 60s and seventies, and I like the surf rock from the 60s. All of those artist back then are talented, they worked hard for years to produce there music. For example, Dick Dale, "King of The Surf Guitar" produced Miserlou in the 60s. Now we have the Black Eyed peas with the exact same instrumental music, but with lyrics and autotune. Now dick dale still performs and he almost in his 80s, and he is still better than any modern artist for playing his classic surf rock. What is also up with modern radio? So many stations play on the loop loop the exact same pop or country songs. I am lucky to find some station that will play classic music from the 90s and before. This generation messed up music forever, It won't be repaired. Hope all you people who love the pop music today enjoy listening to a robot, it isn't that different than today.

>