• Of Course It a Right!

Parenthood is the natural process that comes after giving birth. Every mother and every father has the right to engage in parenthood and raise their child the way they see fit. Laws are in place to protect children from abuse/neglect and laws are also in place to protect parental rights. Unless a parent has engaged in an activity or behavior that is unsafe or illegal, They will and SHOULD continue to hold this right.

Posted by: KTVT
  • So everyone is judged?

Wow, what a shock in this debate. I assume your great great ancestors where judged and was given a privilege before all of you were born. It is so obvious having a child is a right! However, there are laws, and there should be laws to protect children from neglect and abuse. Is your life a right or a privilege? If you answer a privilege than anyone can take your life away for not having the ability to live it correctly and meaningful. Sounds absurd doesn't it?! Geez, when is the parenting book at barns and noble going to be law and enforced and which one of the hundreds of those books will it be? We all have a right to live, breed freely, which is the result of being a parent just as any other living organism on this planet. Calling it a privilege is about as absurd as telling others who they can mate with IF they are even granted this privilege.

• Are you kidding me?

I can't believe you guys. Do you guys think that a person that doesn't have children deserve to die? That a factor of the measuring in a human being involves wether or not (s)he has children? That a person that doesn't have children is a loser? Because that's what it seems like. If you guys were 12, I would be maturer than all of you. I don't laugh at puberty class, I don't laugh at child jokes, I laugh at adult jokes. I watch adult T.V. shows, I hate when people refer to me as a kid, I am mature. I just don't want kids because I don't like kids. Is that a problem? And also, life is not about having kids. There's a lot more to life than having kids, if life was all about kids, every family would have hundreds of kids, moron.

• Children are a privilege

People who think having children is a right are ignorant. They think selfishly and only about themselves. Kids should be a persons main priority and having children just to have children should be illegal. Or maybe an IQ test should be required? People think so highly of their own genes that they think the world needs more of their genetics out in the world.

• IT IS IN FACT A PRIVILEGE TO BE A PARENT NOT A RIGHT. It is a honor to be a parent PERIOD.

Just because you can have children doesn't mean you should. My point is this, Babies are so beyond precious and innocent. . . Why in the hell did I just get done reading about a 4 year old boy raped to DEATH by a grown man. FILTHY! Just horrible. Gut turning. And you have the audacity to actually believe being parent is a right and not a privilege. That DEAD 4 year old little baby boy had no right to live and die like that instead he should have been appreciated and consoled and loved and cared for but females now a days are just not mothers. They have no clue. That mother ALLOWED this to happen to her son by her boyfriend. . . So YES it is a privilege that should be granted once earned. Just because you have a p*ssy, You're obsessed with a man, Or you can't go get a job so instead you look to "easy money" doesn't mean you have the RIGHT to get pregnant, Birth, And keep an innocent angel. You need a license to drive a car. . . . Well. . . . You should need a license to keep your child(ren). FACTS hurt doesn't it? ! ? ! ? But that one baby boy never deserved to feel any hurt. Are you kidding me! ? ! ? ! And to think about it it's happening everywhere everyday. These children need moms and dads who want to be moms and dads instead of falling into the world of these monster moms. And I do blame the moms because whether the abuser is the mom or dad or anyone. . . The mom is supposed to be their protector. Sacrifices and responsibilities. This is why you earn the right and be granted the privilege.

• Privilege all the way

Not everyone can be a good parent. You shouldn't be allowed to have children if you're too poor, Abusive, Negligent, Or mentally ill. Whatever the cause, Unfit parents should have their children taken from them. Some people simply weren't cut out to be parents. Think of the children's rights first!

• Parenting is a PRIVILEGE!

It's a life expander to have children because you can learn a lot from people of a later generation than you; however, Parenting is still a privilege. There are some parents who have actually lost their parenting privileges. If you have a drinking problem, A drug problem, Or a smoking problem, The government should not grant you your parenting privileges (or revoke them if you already have them). Children should be made your first priority, But you cannot be selfish with them. When two selfish people argue over the same thing, It is not a pretty picture. You have certain rights when you parent, But that still makes parenting a privilege. If someone from DCF (Department of Children and Families) tells you to change your method of parenting, Do as they say no matter what. If you and your partner are raising kids together, There must be no physical fighting!

• Not all parents are capable of raising a child

Even if they have the right to do so, Some may not be able to financially provide for their child. Nowadays, There are also a whole bunch of news regarding domestic violence and child abuse. This shows that there are many parents who wants to have children but do not know or do not want to care for them. I hereby stamp me thoughts here that Parenthood is a privilege, NOT a right, For the sake of all orphans and child abuse victims. This side has won the debate. Full stop.

• Privilege. Not because of morals, but because of the demands of modern society

I feel parenthood should most definitely be a privilege. We are not barbarians, nor are we wild animals. Humans forfeit the 'right' to freely have children whenever and in the quantities they want the second they started working together for the 'greater good of all humans equally and the greater good of the future' So we need to think intellectually. In a perfect world a child born to a drug addict would somehow gain access to programs he/she would need to grow into a productive human. This is not the case, with 7 billion humans and counting we simply do not have TIME to run around making sure each and every person has fair access to everything. Not to mention the mental capacity: study after study after study has found one human can only have so many 'friends' or 'important persons' in their life. Not that we're bad. Our brains just, can't handle it ! Which just pushes generalizing and stereotypes. (super dangerous!) I find people who see life as a 'right' also feel that one human life can be weighted as worth much more then another, based on geographical location ALONE. So while you fight for a drug-addict's 'child bearing rights' who most likely will neglect their child, but a person who does not have FOOD in a third world country, well just fuck them eh? If humans wish to live in a modern world where people use laws and rights to enforce peace and happiness for all we cannot just have 'life' popping out willy-nilly like we did 'back in the day'. So maybe before modern human society it was a right, but now that we have agreed to work together for the better of all and the future, humans need to be a bit more responsible on that front. As life is precious, its not just 'nothing' or 'some little thing'. Its a big deal. And one human can have a huuuuge impact in the world around him or her. Responsible breeding is going to be the only way humanity will survive (which sadly may never happen as humans are still animals, and no matter the law rule or what have you people will break the rules/have them twisted to make their lives easier etc.. Humanity is not yet smart enough as a whole to see that uniformly, and the benefits it has) If humans what individuality, we need less individuals.... The more individuals in a group the less individuality which can be expressed without catastrophe. Current 1st world lifestyles reflect a world filled with less humans. If we all just treat breeding as a 'right' the planet and our species is doomed.

• If we let this be a right, it will be humanity's downfall.

Due to the exponential growth of human population, there has to be restrictions on birth rates. That would mean no more than one child per person. However, with the possibility of anti aging technology becoming very real, we need to acknowledge the possibility that many people could effectively live for an indefinite period of time. If this is true, it could take centuries before someone is allowed to have a child (on average each person would have 1 child if a child is birthed for every death). It is a small price to pay for indefinite life spans.

If it is not a part of our culture to have children, I feel it is possible not many people would miss it.

• Children Cause Generational Poverty

As someone who has grown up poor, I can say 100% that kids are a privilege. It takes a completely stable (financially, mentally, emotionally) adult to raise a child. People who believe children are a "right" are what's wrong with this world and why irresponsible people are still birthing children into this world without considering the cost of having a child and how well off that child will be based on their current circumstances. If you can't take care of your child properly, you shouldn't be able to have one. Simple.

• Definitely a privilege

You want to have your genes and bloodline continues and therefore increase the human's carbon food print to the earth. How is that a right? Lots of people argue the society needs children for the future. Sure, tons of orphans you can adopt and nurture for the future of the society!

• The Late George Carlin would tell you...We don't have rights!

There are so many unfit "parents" on this planet who should not be allowed to procreate. The negative cycle of these people who keep breeding, living off the system, and worsening our overpopulated planet is sickening. All these young guys who impregnate dozens of young women, cannot teach, nor raise children to be a positive contribution to society; there are chances of accidental incest when these children grow up and become (unknowingly) involved with their half-siblings!

No way in hell, is parenting a right!