Is school more about grades then actual learning?

Asked by: ModernMichael
  • Unfortunately, it is.

Students in school are forced into a setting and made to absorb and repeat information they may or may not have any interest in, and which they often have little to no control in. The parents behind the students often--yet certainly not always-- place values on the grades and associate them with a student, as though the child is worth less for lower performance and worth more for higher performance. While this message might actually work as a form of encouragement, it does not associate personal worth with learning and knowledge. The parents often don't bother to look beyond the grades, as though the grading tells them everything. The emphasis is on these marks the student receives to fulfill a goal that may not have ever been theirs in the first place. As such, the motive instilled is "do better to satisfy people who have power over me" rather than "do better to be more knowledgeable". While making them do it because they're too young to understand the value certainly is acceptable--I'm not saying students shouldn't be in school, nothing of the sort--it becomes less clear when they so often never come to understand the value, or the reason it has value. School too often becomes a case of large quantities of rote memorization that rewards temporarily holding knowledge for immediate use and discarding it as soon as it stops having immediate use.

Again, school still works and is crucial. However, while students can and usually do form goals much later, there's not too much question that the students who go there earlier on generally have earning little markings on pieces of paper they don't have any personal motivation for.

• Children don't care about grades.

It is unfortunate that grades are the motivator in public schools. It is a mistake though to say that children care about grades. It is the elitism of most parents that desires good scores. They want to see the Jimmy is smarter than Johnny next door. It's sad to see how parents corrupt innocence in this way. Last year University of Michigan's Psychology Dept published a study that showed that when children were not graded the overall class scores were actually much higher. I don't know what you do with this information. How about we get rid of grades in K-12 but then remove federal financial aid for college so things overall don't change too much?

• Sadly, yes it is.

While I wish it were the other way around, the truth is that most students and teachers just seem to care about the grade. That is why students cheat on tests, teachers rush "insignificant" lessons just because they provide a little challenge that may drop the class's overall GPA, and colleges look at tests and GPAs to grant admission rather than actually talking to them about their passions. As an example for that last one, I will use myself. For the career path I would like (preferably NASA), my GPA is low: 3.8. My SAT scores are medium, too. However, I have a strong urge to pursue my dream. I can point out a star by name, and if you ask me what satellite is going by at a certain spot right now, I can most likely tell you which one (or type) it is. The fact that there is no high school level test for this subject (and many others) that colleges can look at to determine who is the best scholar to admit is disturbing.

• It's sad to say, But it is the harsh reality.

What else is there to say?
    School is shit. No wonder it is associated with negative connotations now. Grades is not the benefactor of success. It only shows how much of the material we actually memorise. It's no longer about learning anymore. At least give us some free time and a fucking social life like the one in Finland

• Grades are the fifth leading cause of anxiety, Stress, Depression and suicide in the developed world.

There is simply too much emphasis on grades.

The solution should be to get rid of the grading system altogether. Grades are the worst indicator of student aptitude and success. It's more about memorization than actual learning.

I don't even give a fuck about grades anymore. I just want to drop out and pursue my passion, Something that I never get the chance to do at school.

• Yes it is

How much do you actually remember from all the classes in high school or school period most likely something along the lives of " y=mx+b" or "the mitochondria is the power house of the cell. " other than that its a blur. Only thing you do remember that really actually mattered is that you passed. Whether not you passed with the minimum or max points you needed you still passed and that's all that really matters right?

• They say its learning but is it

Even though they state that a school is for knowledge, But the way they impart that is inauthentic due to the note taking and replication of those notes in a timed setting. Also due to the narrow curriculum within schools focusing more on academia than vocational and the arts. Also due to the grading focus they punish students which may do better in a different setting as they may not be as academically gifted.

• Schools push grades too much

Everything the school talks about is your grades on assignments, Your mid-term grade reports your report cards final grades. Telling you if you don't get a good grade you will fail. What is failing exactly? I can learn the criteria but still not be able to do good on assignments and test no matter how well my understanding is of the subject. Still the grades are what matter to them. You fail a class then u have to retake or you can't graduate. All because your grade. Doesn't matter if you can sit in from of them and teach the entire class what you were taught, You still didn't pass so you can't move on. Kids get grounded more for grades then probably anything else. Schools pressure the students grades, And the parents put the pressure on them too. It can cause a lot of stress which can also be a factor to bad grades. Even some of my current teachers have stated that they wish the grading system wasn't a thing because it forces students and schools to focus more on keeping grades up rather than actually learning anything. All we hear about is grades in school.

• Its about grades

Grades are just an a negative way of for a parent to see where their kid is currently at their academics ,but their is not positive on where your Kids focus on the future production than the contribution
    child would need improvement or where the child is improving.

goal setting is more effective and finding ways to do it can be simple and important

• Yes it is

I had grades a and b all through school, but I feel like i would have learned more actually useful things just from the internet or my parents. Schools care more about the money they get from "successful" students than how much they actually learn. When am i actually going to use algebra anyway?

• We should learn

I stongly belive that Learning is way more importent then grades yes we should work on are grades but not that much we need to focuse on learning! I'm guessing its certain with the teachers aswell that learning is more importent then grades. See my point is that we need to learn more not strech about grades just KEEP CALM AND DO YOUR WORK!!

• Grading is only a way to test actual learning.

Education itself is only about actual learning. The knowledge and skills you will possess after colleges made the tuitions so high. It's not the grading system made the tuitions high. For example, think about, if all Harvard Economics graduates with 4.0 GPA actually know nothing about Economics, will people still trust Harvard education as a school? No. We won't. Grading is one of the ways to prove your knowledge and skills but not the only way. The real world will test your ability in the subjects.

Grading is supposed to help to build actual learning, that's why the school is using it. You guys are saying that you are forced to learn. OMG. You guys even use calculators at colleges. I am Chinese. I have never seen any calculators allowed in any of my classes. That's might why we are good at Math? But my bf born here has to use his phone to calculate tips.

Sadly, grading is distorting the purpose of schooling. That's why we should advocate the actual learning at school through experiential learning projects. This will help students know the importance and reasons for learning the topic. My cousin at her last year in high school in China has to go to school 7am to 10pm, for preparing for the Chinese University Exam ( compete with other millions of students). I think he doesn't know why he learned to learn possibility and linear algebra. I knew them after I start to do data analysis and to bet on basketball games.

Grading is supposed to help to build actual learning, that's why the school is using it. You guys are saying that you are forced to learn. OMG. You guys even use calculators at colleges. I am Chinese. I have never seen any calculators allowed in any of my classes. That's might why we are good at Math? But my bf born here has to use his phone to calculate tips?

• Grading is just a way to test your performance on actual learning.

• No ok ok

No! Education isn't just about good grades or test scores, it's about actual learning. I absolutely hate kids these days who hate school, they're just messed-up (and I'm 12!!). So yeah this is my supporting argument. Ok I need more words to finish this. Does that work? Nope. Okay. Done.

• Yes, it is.

In my school you have to pass every test givin to you. If you mess up one test and fail to retake it you fail the class. I feel like I'm being forced to memorize and not actually taught. I worry about college everyday. Colleges don't look for a personality or humanity. They look for a letter and GPA. As a student I feel like I am nothing more than a grade.

• Be it a 6 or a 16 year old, if their child has incorporated the new ideas, why do parents get angry?

From my point of view parents should have highlighted the importance of learning rather than grades because keeping their marks up without learning won't be of any use in the long run. Although the majority of parents understand this nowadays, if you ask around a school all the teachers would agree that their main aim is to help their pupils learn, not just improve their grades.

• School is not only about grades but actual learning

A school is a place where people get knowledge they learn something new.The teachers teach us not for the sake of passing the students with good grades but to give them the real knowledge on the subject.Ya thats true that grades matter but not more than the knowledge .The schools see the results of the students but they also take the admission tests before admitting the students to check what they have learnt earlier.

>