Is Soundgarden the best band of the last 30 years?

Asked by: TheFurryOat
  • Yea they were.

They are the greatest band of the last 30 year that came out in the last 30 years. Chris Cornell gave Pearl Jam their start and heavily influenced the sound of bands like Nirvana. The drop D tuning which is so popular among other bands since them was popularized by SoundGarden. They made a place for Heavy metal in alternative rock. They came straight out of the influence of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. They melded that sound with elements of punk and even psychedelica. Sure there were others in the game at that time but they were the ones that brought in out of the underground. And that is because Their sound was so unique and ground breaking and raw a real. They are one of those unique rock bands that feel so real and personal and emotional. When you listen to their songs you feel it. Even if you don’t get that, you cannot deny the immense talent of Chris Cornell in song writing and singing. The phenomenal guitar riffs of Kim Thayil.
    That is why they are the best.
    That is why they are the greatest band of the past 30 years.

• Soundgarden Breaks the Earth in Half and Jesus Wept

Soundgarden is arguably the best band of the last thirty years due to their music being similar in composition to classical music, though lacking in it's technicality on guitars, the heart is still apparent in the way that minimal notes are used in a variety of fashions. The drumming is by far the best since John Bonham, both having similarity in precise rhythm and powerful strikes. The vocals are superb and great for learning to slide in and out of octaves smoothly while gaining a mid-range. Chris Cornell as a songwriter collects from many different eras and his lyrics are relative to most anyone as well as beautiful. The band itself is a modern day Beatles in their knack for having on any album, at least 1/4 of the songs written by each member individually, each member is an excellent songwriter.

• No, They Are Not

I've never been a big fan of Soundgarden. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, they always sounded good, but their songwriting lacked. I'm not a music buff, but of the bands I care for I'd go with Metallica, Fleetwood Mac (do they count? Sure their best work was behind them in '83, but they were [are?] still around. Even a little more recently, Alice in Chains (with Staley) and Godsmack are better than Soundgarden ever was.

• I do not agree

Obviously this is open to individual preferences, but I find it to be rather closed minded to single out one band as the "best". While I agree that soundgarden is a decent band, there have been various other bands equally good, if not better. You are also discounting the diverse immensity of musical genres that exist. Such as ambient techno: Aphex Twin, Locust Toybox, Boards of Canada, etc. Psychedelic rock: Tame Impala, MGMT, Flaming Lips, etc. Also, so many other nineties grunge bands like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Pearl Jam.

• Pearl jam is better just listen

From a musicians standpoint i would say pearl jam. I can learn a full soundgarden song on guitar in around 25 minutes, this is to where i can play it perfectly with the record. Pearl jam even flow took me about 2 hours because of the complexity in their songwriting. I believe Pearl jam consists of the more talented members

• Including 30 years ago?

Pink Floyd, the Final Cut, 1983. If that qualifies them as a :band of the last 30 years" the answer to this is no.
    [Now I find myself once again trying to fill 50 words to hit the minimum because the first 5 were all that needed to be said on this issue]

>