• Suicide is selfish

They are so absorbed in the bad of their own lives. They don't think about the other people in their lives. Like the parents who gave them life. They don't take the fact that there will be people who mourn and feel sorrow because of their suicide. There is more lives hurt by them taking their own life.

• The pain inflicted on others is worse than the pain person was experiencing

I have experienced suicide first hand and words can not even begin to explain the deep hurt and anger I feel. The worst part is that this anger and pain is never going to leave because I am never going to know why the person did it. Yes, I believe something was psychologically wrong but help was on its way! Things will and can get better! Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem that leaves those closest to them wondering what they could have done differently, how they could have helped, why didn't they provide more help or do something sooner? Its selfish because the person who committed the act is free of pain but the people they love are left with a suffering that can't be understood unless experienced firsthand.

• You should endure the pain you go through to save others from it.

Killing yourself is selfish in any way you think about it. It hurts people who care about you, and you killing yourself will cause such emotional grief to them that it should be enough to sway one from suicide.
    You stick it out if you're going through bad times so that the people who would grieve you wont go through that pain.

• No matter how you look at it... Yes it is.

The concept of selfishness if enhancing ones own personal interest without the proper consideration or concern for others. If a person commits suicide, their family is (normally) very saddened by this and their friends always are. Suicide is extremely traumatic for those who are left behind and can cause a lot more pain than that of a "natural" for death for those people have to live with the fact that that person despised life so much, that they wanted to die.

I'm not condemning suicide, but there is no way that you can deny that it is not a selfish act. It is done purely in the interests (of ending suffering) for one person. If that person was to act selflessly, they would not inflict the incredible pain of loss upon their friends and family.

Of course there are situations when suicide is not selfish. Such as ending your life due to terminal illness and the likes of euthanasia and assisted suicide. But that really is different territory. Unless those who you know support the ending of you life (due to terminal illness and such), suicide is a selfish act.

• Suicide is selfish, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is always unjustified.

A selfish act is one in which the person only thinks of himself/herself, and does not worry about others. Although I believe suicide does fit this criteria, I cannot imagine what those that commit suicide were going through. It is a last resort for those that feel completely helpless against the onslaught of daily struggles that people face in life. Some people have much worse luck than others, and in some cases, the thought that things will never get better may actually be realistic. It is selfish, because it is an act that is solely for the individual, and does not worry about the consequences on the family and friends. But to be in such a situation where everything seems hopeless must also be terrible, and I cannot condemn those that chose to end their lives.

• By definition, suicide is selfish

Selfish- lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure:
    http://www.Oxforddictionaries.Com/definition/english/selfish

The person committing suicide is concerned only with ending his/her own suffering, which is an obvious profit, hence a selfish act.

The person committing suicide is also not concerned about other people's well being, for example their family and friends who will receive serious psychological damage sometimes even permanently.

The only exception to this is doing something suicidal to save another life, as rightfully pointed out by one of the voters.
    But by and large, suicide is selfish.

• Sorry, people; but yes it is

I believe suicide is the most selfish act someone can commit in most cases. (Unless the person gives his life to save another.) The suicidal person is not considering all the good he can do in the world and for himself. To just end it all is ultimately a cop-out from life for someone who doesn't know how to deal with it. No wonder so many teenagers commit suicide, they think they have it so bad they want to kill themselves, but they don't realize adolescence is only the beginning of life's problems. I've had multiple problems and tragedies throughout my life but I persevered and got through it, and suicide never entered my mind ONCE. To get through them requires a perseverance and ability to see all the good in being alive. There is no justification whatsoever to just cop out on life.

• It is most of the time

Suicide is done usually to get out of pain the problem is you’re only doing if for yourself and hurting those around you and in some cases encouraging them to kill themselves although there are cases I can understand such as robin williams’s Case he had a violent for of dementia which obviously caused him to become enraged at random moments and hurt others which is something he hated doing and he saw how much he hurt his family so he ended it to stop from hurting them so I believe it can be either selfish or selfless

• Suicide Can be Selfish

I have/had a friend who's always been teetering on the side of whether or not she was going to commit suicide. I can understand how she feels and why she wanted "it" to end, But I was able to convince her not to kill herself. She occasionally cuts herself, Though.
    Anyways, I had asked, "what about your friends and family? What about me? " To which she replied,
    "they won't care, Why would you care. I don't care anyway. "
    No one should assume that. If she had killed myself, I told her, I would honestly probably kill myself too. I was in a depressive state when I first met her and she brought me out of it, But now she's tugging me back in.
    Please get help. . . That's all I can say. There is someone out there who loves you.

• Suicide is selfish

Ha ha ha ha ha h h g g u u g so in India. Ie if so do a imho high cgv ft chicken cu cu cu hi hi no np no jo no no no no no jo no no no jo jo jo jo jo jo jo jo

• Just give them a reason to live.

If someone commits suicide, I can promise there is a reason why. They felt abandoned or everything they felt was too hard to handle. Maybe they were tormented. What is selfish is too allow someone to feel the need to off themselves, not considering all of what could happen. A suicidal person feels that they are burdening the world, and I'm not trying to glamorize suicide, but most think they are doing the world a favor.

Posted by: TazM
  • Its more selfish to say its selfish

Its more selfish for the person to want the suicidal person to stay in the world, for their own needs. Suicide is not selfish in many ways. Its an act of a depressed mood and a desperate act. You cant think straight. Im sure your not thinking of yourself. I honestly think its their choice and their life and we have control over our lives, and we choose what we do with our life. Isn't it selfish to want someone to stay on the planet just so we can be happy, and leave the person in pain. Suicide is not selfish because your experiencing a whole lot of pain, and maybe you got all the help you can get and nothing happened. Its mire selfish to say its selfish, cause you want them to stay on the planet for YOUR own needs

• It is not

Many may disagree but suicide is not selfish. The reasoning behind this is that if one is to come to a point where they feel like they have nothing to live for and want to commit suicide everyone around that person is to blame. No one around this person has put in an effort to care about this person while the are/were alive so they do not get to say it is a selfish act and care, or pretend like it anyway, when they do commit suicide

• I don't think it is.

To say it is selfish seems to imply that we have a fundamental duty to prioritize the needs of others as our ultimate reason for existence. A person who wants to commit suicide ultimately sees no reason to continue living (or at least that the reasons to continue do not outweigh the reasons to not continue) so to stay alive for the sake of others necessarily means that your life is only important or primarily important because of what you owe to other people which is a concept I'm not sure I can accept.

• Suicide is not selfish.

If someone is considering suicide, It means that they've run out of other options. It means that they're desperate enough to just end their own lives to stop the pain, And you should let them do so. Instead of accusing them of being selfish, Maybe stop for a moment and think why they're committing suicide in the first place.

• Those who say suicide is "selfish" are morons

Firstly suicide victims are mentally ill -- likely suffering from severe anxiety and depression. If you've not experienced this, It's living hell. Your life is persistent agony. Many who suffer from severe chronic pain -- cluster headaches, Take their own lives as a last resort to relieve the agony. There is also such thing as "mercy killing". That's noble. But when one is in persistent mental anguish? They're "selfish". Those who take this stance should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Being suicidal and dealing with the loss of someone you care about are two different pains

“It doesn’t feel like you’re abandoning [your loved ones]; it feels like you’re freeing them from the burden that is you and your illness. You feel like you are doing the world a service by leaving it. ” — Jen Simon

“The suicidal mode is an altered state of consciousness. When a person is battling with their demons and feeling hopeless, Their thinking is often significantly distorted. They do not see reality the way they would if they were not in suicidal crisis. Their thoughts loop on the theme of how they are a burden to those they love. Their brains actively make a case for how others will not really miss them or that in the long run, Those they love would be better off without them somehow. ”

I'm not living anymore, I'm alive for the people who care about me, So that I don't hurt them. When I finally crack, It's because I didn't have the 'strength' to go on. How is that selfish? Going through shit just for other people. You think you understand what it's like, But unless you've gone through it, You have no fucking idea. Depression isn't a weakness, It's a fucking illness, Something people don't seem to get. It's a state of mind that changes the way you think and warps your perception of things.

• It really isnt

If someone was to driven to the point where he or she needs to commit suicide then someone must of put them in that position so you tell me is the person selfish if you were bullying them, Is the person selfish if you were mean to them or is this just you trying to make yourself look better

• Suicide is not selfish.

What is selfish is expecting someone who is suffering internally, To continue suffering just so that those left behind don't have to grieve the loss of them. It is our duty to do what is in our best interest, If the suicide feels that death is the only choice they had, Then who are we to judge? One needs to focus on the factors that lead to suicide such as depression, Anxiety and other mental illnesses and furthermore focus on the factors that contribute to those mental illnesses such as rape and abuse etc. It is pointless to condemn people who saw a way out for themselves rather than identify and fix the root cause of the problem.

• Suicide is NEVER selfish

Why would you consider it fair for someone to have to live in constant pain and suffering just to make those around you happy? Why should someone be forced to spend every minute of every day hating their life? If you're not depressed or have any serious issues your life is easy. People with suicidal thoughts and tendencies suffer through a lot. Suicide isn't selfish. And for those grieving the loss of a loved one maybe they should have tried harder or cared enough to let that person know that they are loved.

>