• You should endure the pain you go through to save others from it.

Killing yourself is selfish in any way you think about it. It hurts people who care about you, and you killing yourself will cause such emotional grief to them that it should be enough to sway one from suicide.
    You stick it out if you're going through bad times so that the people who would grieve you wont go through that pain.

• Suicide is selfish

They are so absorbed in the bad of their own lives. They don't think about the other people in their lives. Like the parents who gave them life. They don't take the fact that there will be people who mourn and feel sorrow because of their suicide. There is more lives hurt by them taking their own life.

• The pain inflicted on others is worse than the pain person was experiencing

I have experienced suicide first hand and words can not even begin to explain the deep hurt and anger I feel. The worst part is that this anger and pain is never going to leave because I am never going to know why the person did it. Yes, I believe something was psychologically wrong but help was on its way! Things will and can get better! Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem that leaves those closest to them wondering what they could have done differently, how they could have helped, why didn't they provide more help or do something sooner? Its selfish because the person who committed the act is free of pain but the people they love are left with a suffering that can't be understood unless experienced firsthand.

• No matter how you look at it... Yes it is.

The concept of selfishness if enhancing ones own personal interest without the proper consideration or concern for others. If a person commits suicide, their family is (normally) very saddened by this and their friends always are. Suicide is extremely traumatic for those who are left behind and can cause a lot more pain than that of a "natural" for death for those people have to live with the fact that that person despised life so much, that they wanted to die.

I'm not condemning suicide, but there is no way that you can deny that it is not a selfish act. It is done purely in the interests (of ending suffering) for one person. If that person was to act selflessly, they would not inflict the incredible pain of loss upon their friends and family.

Of course there are situations when suicide is not selfish. Such as ending your life due to terminal illness and the likes of euthanasia and assisted suicide. But that really is different territory. Unless those who you know support the ending of you life (due to terminal illness and such), suicide is a selfish act.

• Suicide is selfish, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is always unjustified.

A selfish act is one in which the person only thinks of himself/herself, and does not worry about others. Although I believe suicide does fit this criteria, I cannot imagine what those that commit suicide were going through. It is a last resort for those that feel completely helpless against the onslaught of daily struggles that people face in life. Some people have much worse luck than others, and in some cases, the thought that things will never get better may actually be realistic. It is selfish, because it is an act that is solely for the individual, and does not worry about the consequences on the family and friends. But to be in such a situation where everything seems hopeless must also be terrible, and I cannot condemn those that chose to end their lives.

• By definition, suicide is selfish

Selfish- lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one’s own personal profit or pleasure:
    http://www.Oxforddictionaries.Com/definition/english/selfish

The person committing suicide is concerned only with ending his/her own suffering, which is an obvious profit, hence a selfish act.

The person committing suicide is also not concerned about other people's well being, for example their family and friends who will receive serious psychological damage sometimes even permanently.

The only exception to this is doing something suicidal to save another life, as rightfully pointed out by one of the voters.
    But by and large, suicide is selfish.

• Sorry, people; but yes it is

I believe suicide is the most selfish act someone can commit in most cases. (Unless the person gives his life to save another.) The suicidal person is not considering all the good he can do in the world and for himself. To just end it all is ultimately a cop-out from life for someone who doesn't know how to deal with it. No wonder so many teenagers commit suicide, they think they have it so bad they want to kill themselves, but they don't realize adolescence is only the beginning of life's problems. I've had multiple problems and tragedies throughout my life but I persevered and got through it, and suicide never entered my mind ONCE. To get through them requires a perseverance and ability to see all the good in being alive. There is no justification whatsoever to just cop out on life.

• Who else is one thinking about when desiring to jump?

I think that when one is suffering the sever thoughts of depression or emotional pain are they not only thinking of their own self? Why would one want to die for any other lest they be a martyr or savior. In this case they are not selfish. The guy that falls on a grenade to save his buddies is not selfish but a hero. But to take your own life is of no value to anyone and disloyal to those who are left. We can have sympathy even think them a victim, But there is nothing good in that. Really what is your answer other than pity? Many over come hardship and are stronger, That is life. We are not in charge of our life who makes the heart beat or the breath you take to keep you alive? When were you given the authority to take what you didn't give to yourself in the first place?

• Suicide is Selfish.

Threatening suicide is even more selfish. It holds those around you in a perpetual emotional hostage situation. A very close family member has been doing this for over a decade and friends and family are worn out. This person has seen a plethora of counselors, Psychologists and psychiatrists at enormous costs. This person has also had a multitude of hospital instays and comes out worse every time. Either people who use this as a modus operandi find a thrill from keeping loved ones in emotional distress and limbo and don’t want to do anything about the situation or psychiatry is a failed science. Unfortunately if one cries wolf too many times the villagers simply become apathetic.

• Suicide is selfish because you are only hurting the people who love you.

Some people may say suicide is not selfish but I truly believe it is because let's say if you kill yourself you only putting your depression upon the people who love and care for you. Would you want to hurt the people you love? I don't think so. Suicide may be the easy way out of your problems but it is the worst way to deal with them. I've dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts but my family and friends have helped me. I know it may be hard to talk to people but you can do it, It is posable tho.

• Just give them a reason to live.

If someone commits suicide, I can promise there is a reason why. They felt abandoned or everything they felt was too hard to handle. Maybe they were tormented. What is selfish is too allow someone to feel the need to off themselves, not considering all of what could happen. A suicidal person feels that they are burdening the world, and I'm not trying to glamorize suicide, but most think they are doing the world a favor.

Posted by: TazM
  • Its more selfish to say its selfish

Its more selfish for the person to want the suicidal person to stay in the world, for their own needs. Suicide is not selfish in many ways. Its an act of a depressed mood and a desperate act. You cant think straight. Im sure your not thinking of yourself. I honestly think its their choice and their life and we have control over our lives, and we choose what we do with our life. Isn't it selfish to want someone to stay on the planet just so we can be happy, and leave the person in pain. Suicide is not selfish because your experiencing a whole lot of pain, and maybe you got all the help you can get and nothing happened. Its mire selfish to say its selfish, cause you want them to stay on the planet for YOUR own needs

• It is not

Many may disagree but suicide is not selfish. The reasoning behind this is that if one is to come to a point where they feel like they have nothing to live for and want to commit suicide everyone around that person is to blame. No one around this person has put in an effort to care about this person while the are/were alive so they do not get to say it is a selfish act and care, or pretend like it anyway, when they do commit suicide

• I don't think it is.

To say it is selfish seems to imply that we have a fundamental duty to prioritize the needs of others as our ultimate reason for existence. A person who wants to commit suicide ultimately sees no reason to continue living (or at least that the reasons to continue do not outweigh the reasons to not continue) so to stay alive for the sake of others necessarily means that your life is only important or primarily important because of what you owe to other people which is a concept I'm not sure I can accept.

• Suicide is bad, But the person isn't

When a person commits or attempts suicide, They are still afraid of death. They still want to live. But that doesn't seem to be an option at that point. And that is not they're fault. Mental health illnesses make people feel so much pain that that pain is far more overwhelming than they're fear of death. At that point, It is difficult to think straight. Imagine your mind being a clouded mess, Making you incapable to focus on what you are thinking and whether or not it is logical. At the same time there is an overwhelming pressure compressing your body and the thought of ending your life to make it stop crosses your mind. In the midst of the chaos, You may take the reckless decision to end your life. They happened to be in the unfortunate situation where they happened to be feeling terrible, There was an opportunity to end their lives and there was no one around to stop them. If they could somehow ease the pain and get the chance to clear their head a little and think, They probably would have opted to stay alive a while longer.

• Those who say it is selfish are only thinking of themselves.

From what I gather, Most people who are suicidal believe they would be doing their loved ones a favor. Perhaps the individuals expecting others to live in misery are the selfish ones. IMHO, Asking someone else to suffer through every minute of every day to spare yourself grief is what’s selfish.

• Suicide is not selfish

Suicide is not selfish. It just means that the victim couldn’t handle being alone, Couldn’t handle not having anyone care about them. The ones who should be ashamed are the victim’s so called “family”/ spouse who didn’t take the time to value them as a human being. The victim is free of responsibility. People don’t just commit suicide because of just causes

• Personal Story //Trigger Warning - self harm//

There are two times in my life when I considered suicide. The first was in elementary school. It lasted from 4th to 6th grade. My dad had always been physically abusive, And he'd always said it was because I made him angry. I genuinely thought I was hurting him, And I tried so hard to be good but it seemed impossible to be good enough. I never killed myself, But I would daydream about "sacrificing myself" for my family so I wouldn't be hurting them anymore.

I loved my family and would've been dying for THEM, Not for me. I was horribly misguided, But those intentions were not selfish.

This was the second time I was suicidal. Before they finished testing me for every possible mental disorder, One of the psychiatrists prescribed me medicine for ADD. Turns out I don't have ADD, But I do have Major Recurrent Depressive Disorder. That medicine's job was to help me but instead it stole the last of my sanity. I walked around in a daze, Just going through the motions.

One day I went home, And I sat in my room and just stared at the floor. In the carpet, I found a stitch ripper. At first, I used it to cut up the carpet, But then I moved to my foot. I didn't even notice. I didn't even care. Normally, I cry at the mere though of getting a shot, But I was ripping up my foot with a dull hooked blade and I didn't hesitate or think twice. I didn't think at all.

My memories are still very hazy of that time. I couldn't even be sure it really happened if I didn't still have scars. To this day, I'm still not sure why I did what I did. But that also means I'm not sure why I stopped. If I had continued, Or started on my wrist or neck, I'm not sure what would have happened.

I can't consider it selfish, Because there was no intention. I had no goal. I was drugged and hardly aware of what I was doing. I'm not even sure if I meant to hurt myself or not. I'm not saying my actions were selfless - I'm pretty sure they aren't - but by no means were they selfish either.

TL;DR You can't generalize all suicides into one category. Some are selfless in intention, Others are brought on by something entirely out of the person's control.

Even the suicides purely done to avoid the pain of living have considered the harm it would to to their loved ones. They have measured the pain they're going through and that they will go through in the future against the pain their death would cause and ruled one to be greater.

They don't owe you their life, Yet they gave you some of it anyway. You were hurt, You were angry. That's fine. But they aren't selfish.

• Its like saying "Stop Protecting yourself from that bully everyone hates at our school"

In Reality, They probably do have a reason why they want to do it, Debt, Loneliness, Depression, Etc, You can't just tell them their being selfish when in reality they probably do have something going on, And kids especially, They get bullied over the dumbest shit, But no one cares, And its so fucking stupid, The School system doesn't give a fuck about most children (A Junior in High School myself) They think putting you in a mental isolation is the best option, They think kids enjoy being in school, And for adults, If they have debt, No girlfriend/wife, Or Hard time in general should get help, Before it's too late in general

• I don't think it's selfish

When people are suicidal, They count everything in their lives.
    What's more cruel, Forcing someone to stay when they really don't have anything or anyone or someone taking their own life?

I don't believe that suicide should be encouraged, But if they truly don't have anyone, I'm not going to stop them.

Some of you guys have to realize that sometimes, Things don't get better. If someone believes that the world has already left them, There's not much you can do to help them, If they're that far gone.

But I'm all honesty, It really depends on the situation. Although blaming the victim for feeling hopeless will make the situation worse, So I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's selfish.