• Yes it is

Well duh of course it is! It dumbs down spelling and grammar, reduces the need for in depth conversations and it distracts us from being fully present... So in my opinion it does. You can think what you want. Personally sometimes I will short words, like 'gonna' or 'convo'. But I neva rite lyk dis cuz it is dizguztin.

• Why Yes It Is

I do believe that texting is killing parts of the English language. As people use the short cuts to make words shorter and/or easier to spell they are forgeting the proper grammar and spelling they were taught in schools. I believe this could lead to major changes in the language over a period of time.

• Texting is killing language

There are many teens who use things like: brb lol jk. There are many teens who try to use them in papers in school. Frankly I believe if you are applying for a college and some have you right an essay if a teen uses text lingo they are mostly likely not going to get accepted.

• Yes, I believe texting is killing language.

I believe texting is killing language because texting shortens words and is greatly modifying the language. As an English instructor, I have found that the texting language is making its way into academic papers because it has become so second nature for many students. Grammar rules are forgotten with compulsive texters. I believe excessive testing will lead to poor communications skills.

• Howe is it not?

A lot of people these days use shortcuts like, Btw, Brb, Or lmao. This is not doing any good to your grammar. If you get in the habit of using these, Formal essays and reports are not going to be easy for you. Also, Using proper grammar can also help the reader understand better.

• Texting is killing language.

Many people around the world spend a lot of time on their phones. When texting my classmates and friends, I have almost never seen any use of proper grammar. They can get so used to using improper grammar that during the times when they actually do need to use proper grammar, They mess up. Also, If you do use shortcuts, It will be harder to understand what you are actually typing if you do not know a shortcut.

• Yes texting is killing language

There are many teens who use things like: gn lol jk and ttyl. There are many teens who try to use them in papers in school. Frankly I believe if you are applying for a college and some have you right an essay if a teen uses text lingo they are mostly likely not going to get accepted.
    Report Post

• Indeed It Is

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-jury/5-ways-texting-is-striker_b_657309.html

We are at a halt in improving language because reading scores are not improving! As an acting teacher I am amazed by how many people cannot read or spell. All of this is simply because no one cares anymore! Texting I think is a main issue for this happening

• Texting is a major problem

I believe that texting has influenced are writing because it becomes a habit and usually habits are hard to brake and when you finally break it don't get back into the habit.My suggestion is to write your texts in complete sentences and to stop using incorrect grammar and i think it will improve your grade.

• This is so obvious. Yes! It is killing our language!

"Wuts ⬆️ Bruh im so ded rn ths iz dum bro😂" "Omg i look so ratchet rn it's not evn funy u hve no idea Like oml"
    Holy CRAP! Its like everyone I know says this stuff and it make no sense! People don't know the difference between "Its" and "It's or even "They're" and "there"

• Texting is not killing language.

You still have to know how to structure a sentence or words so language is important. No, texting isn't killing language, but it IS making people lazy. Rather than talking to another person, we will text them. We carry on full conversations over a text and not talking on the phone. Pure lazy!

• Open your mind.

Quite honestly, the only people who believe that texting is killing language don't know much about language, are unnecessarily judgmental, or both. Nonstandard dialects are becoming recognized as valid forms of communication. Why shouldn't they be? What harm do they cause? In addition, a person using texting language is not necessarily a sign that they can't write in proper English when the situation calls for it. I cn write liek dis wen i snd a txt, but I also know how to follow the conventions of spelling and grammar. Why berate those who don't follow all of the rules in informal communication?

• Not at all

There is no evidence to say that english is being killed because of they way people text. The only evidence ive found to support it is from media sites who grossly overexaggerate the few examples they have. Most evidence suggests that it has little to no impact at all on an adults use of vocab and grammar and even a positive effect in children! (Van Djik et al (2016)). Complaints about english being killed have been around since the beginning of time, Something you can see in john mchwhorters ted talk about texting. One of the main features of texting are something called rebus abbreviations and they have been around since forever, Basic chinese characters are formed off the rebus principle and so are hieroglyphics. Its nothing new people just want something to complain about

• Texting with simple abbreviations does not mean that their grammar and writing skills are degraded

I also use abbreviations lik dis but dat does not mean that l am actually
    Bad at my English skills or something. It’s just that we use to simple English sometimes to text faster. If the present generation have made up simple english words (like 4ever, Lol(laugh out loud), Btw, Etc ) it means they have the knowledge to think of such bright ideas. Hence I disagree with the given notion.

Thank you
    Aneesh Sundaresh

• Texting is merely a new form of Speech

Language is constantly changing. Such as when old latin teachers scorned the idea of a new 'false' language, Which in fact we know today as French. Language will constantly change, Words will gain meaning, Other words will change meaning and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Texting is a new form of speech that will shape the world from here on. Whether you like it or not, It's not a choice that you can make, Texting is here to stay.

• NO Just no

In modern day society, teenagers are doing lots of text messages. It became their everyday thing in their life. I asked a question. What’s the point of doing text messages? Well, the students say that they should do text messages because, it provides them stronger friendship, Emotional relief and Improbal of language skills. If there are so many benefits of text messages, why should we ban text messages? In my opinion that text messages have a positive effect on teenagers.

• The relationship between texting and students

I asked a question. What’s the point of doing text messages? Well, the students say that they should do text messages because, it provides them stronger friendship, Emotional relief and Improbable of language skills. If there are so many benefits of text messages, why should we ban text messages? I think that text messages have positive effect on teenagers.
    Texting has positive impact on teens because it can improve your language skills. Also, it is much more friendly way of learning new language skills rather than just sitting down on your ELA class and learning about new grammar rules. For example, Texting & Its Positive Impact on Teens claims, “...The fun associated with texting for young people contributes to greater literacy simply because it encourages teens to interact and engage with the written word.” This means that texting is a great way to learn new languages, because it helps kid interact with written word, which might be actually better than attending ELA class where you probably are not engaged at all.
    Some people say texting has negative impact on teenagers. They say texting decreases your language skills, because people don’t use correct grammar when using text messages, which might become a habit for people. Which might turn out that all their writing becomes text-message style. Which might be bad for teenagers. Their evidence is, children often use special type of register, which is called textese. This register allows the omission of words and the use of textisms: instances of non-standard written language such as 4ever (forever). (“Phillip Allen”) This means that they will make up those words, and ultimately lower their language skills.
    They say texting decreases your language skills, but it turns out that texting improves your language skills, because you learn new grammer, and you get a opportunity to write. My evidence is, “Civilization, then, is fine — people banging away on their smartphones are fluently using a code separate from the one they use in actual writing, and there is no evidence that texting is ruining composition skills.” (“Time”) Which means that there is no evidence that texting decreases your language skills. Instead, not texting might lower your language skills because you are losing your opportunity to write more. Also, texting encourages teens to engage with written words.
    In conclusion, texting messages have positive impact on teenagers. Let’s say that there is a teenager, who didn’t have any opportunity to that write that much. He only writes when there is an assignment, that is given out only one or twice per 2 months. Which means that for that much period of time, he doesn't write anything, and if the only thing that he is going to write are essays, he is going to be bored, and will not be able to engage with writing which means that it will ultimately lower his writing skills. However, if you text, you will be more engaged with written words, which means, texting has positive effect on teenagers.

• Changing in the world always happen

There are lots of changes happening now and then in her life and as well in the world. The use of short forms are good it makes it easier to read and write nowadays everyone uses short forms no one bothers the life now and before his lot changed before there was more harder grammar as well as pronunciation in words like the archaic words which are not into existence and now we use short forms which is another transformation

• Its not killing the language

Languages change all the time and they evolve with the times, We are right now in a time like that and its historic and with smart phones it makes it easier to to use the full word instead of a short version of it. This article actually makes a great argument on it http://edumuch.com/grammar/the-joy-of-text/

• Texting is developing its own kind of grammar and conventions.

As any linguist knows, language is not a static thing. Change and development is the one constant in life, and the changing sounds and phrases of a language are merely reflections of the changes in a particular society. You cannot expect the English language to remain the same while the world around us – and particularly the way we communicate – is subject to so much variation. Text messaging can be a fun and playful way to communicate – the important thing to remember for education is teaching children how to employ different ways of communication. Writing an essay and writing a text are different things; children can learn both. What is more, texting is being used to actually help literacy in developing countries: a UN SMS-based literacy programin Pakistan aims to help women in Islamabad to read. Now what’s so bad about that?