• You could say

Nothing is dead everything is composed of atoms and electrons etc even decaying matter. Everything is in a state of motion or vibrAtion should we be asking does the earth have a soul. Since it contains all of humanity and supports us then yes it is alive another conundrum plants are obviously alive but do they have souls

• What are plants? What are you?

What are plants? What are we? We are all life. Earth is life. You and I are the same, we are life. We all come from particles the exist on Earth and all are eventually recycled. All of us together, our consciousness' all combined as a whole is Earth.

Can I prove it? Hell no, but it's one interesting view of our world.

• Of course it is.

Yes, the Earth is alive because one of the definitions of living is in actual existence or use. It is also a living, growing thing. It constantly changes, and therefore it must be alive. If it were not, it would just be a plain rock that was never different from the way in which it began.

• Yes Of Course

Do you really think that you were born from, and are being sustained by, an inanimate "dead" object??? Think about it. The repetitive movement of the Earth creates repetitive changes in its atmosphere (weather). This weather generates electricity(lightning), which has the power to change the molecular structures of most substances it comes into contact with. Lightning creates and links chemicals, and can break them apart. We are made of many of these same chemicals. Believe it or not, our bodies do practically the same thing in order to support our internal metabolic processes.

• It really depends...

It depends on whether it is the earth structure itself or life on earth. It also depends on what is the definition of 'alive'. Although I define earth by it's uncommon property: life. So as different species are dependent on one another to form ecosystems that are interconnected (I like the Gaia theory) to create the greeny blue planet we live on, the earth is alive.

• Look around you to see!

Yes look around you to see breath taking world and its living things on its surface and below. Listen to it, feel the energy wich comes out and create life by itself. I sometimes believe that world itself is the god!! Imagine you kill all living things on surface. After million years or maybe less, we will see same life forms coming to life again and again and again....

• Isn't it obvious?

When we say that everything around us is in the state of motion with respect to the earth(part of law of inertia), then we can also say that earth has life with respect to us....! When earth can support life it is also alive as a dead planet cannot and can never support life.....

• Yes, the Hills Are Alive With the Sound of Music.

Of course the Earth is alive. Is it alive and thriving with all kinds of species, environments, cultures of all kinds and has been this way for a few billion years. The planet goes through cycles, just as humans do, and because of our placement from the sun, the Earth is able to be a lively planet able to sustain life.

• Yes, the Earth is Alive.

The Earth is very alive. From the babbling brooks to the rocks and rills and hills, things are changing all the time. Leaves fall and the set on again in the spring. Grass turns brown and then returns to green. Trees grow from seeds and walnuts set on each year. The Earth is very much alive.

• Yes. It is very much alive.

If we put the natural disasters in forms that affects us humans, it would be; drought-dehydration earthquake-seizure typhoon-nausea. All these mentioned are signs of something right? Maybe the Earth is trying to tell us something. That we are hurting it. But the Earth needs us and needs our help. We started hurting our home our only one and us humans are the only ones that can reverse the effects.

• The question is; Is the EARTH alive.

The question says "is the EARTH alive?'' Obviously the planet isn't alive. It is the living species ON planet Earth that makes the Earth seem alive. Clearly the Earth is not alive. Some may say it is moving. That is true however, the gravitational pull and there are other factors that make Earth moving but the Earth is definintly not moving by itself.

• I do believe no.

However, I feel as if many of the other no responses yell their answers and demand that everybody must share the same opinion. Why do all of you care what they believe? I think that earth performs all actions mechanically, not consciously. This, however, doesn't mean I need to yell at everyone who doesn't share the same beliefs as me.

• The earth has not, is not, and never will be alive.

There are living things on the earth that do live and grow, but the earth itself doesn't live nor grow. The earth cannot breath, eat, absorb or hold energy, reproduce, or live. One day the world will end, not because the earth die, but because the world is no longer here.

• The only way our Planet Earth is alive is...

If it is part of a larger object that is alive.
    So until we prove this.. I'm voting NO.
    Our planet could be part of a Brain... So many similarities between our Universe and the Human Brain. I wish we would pursue this as a civilization. I'll never get to see it. But until then... NO

So until we prove this.. I'm voting NO.

• There is a difference between sustaining life and being alive.

The earth is in a constant state of flux, and it’s climate reacts to stimuli, so yes, it’s not stagnant. This much is true, however; the earth is not a biological creature. It does not have DNA. It is a conveniently placed spheroid of rock and magma that has some water on top. This provides habitable conditions for life, but it itself is not alive. This is not an opinion, that’s just simple fact. This debate arises from simple confusion of terms or misunderstanding of actual observational science.

• The earth isn't alive

The question is asking if the earth is biotic or not. IT'S NOT BOITIC!!!!! ACCEPT THE FACT!! Everyone that has said yes to this question, no. Just no. You need to go learn something about science and not use an opinion like it's a valid option for a question that needs a FACT answer. Please rethink your life choices if you have said yes, and look up something about biotic and abiotic things.

• Of course it is not alive!

Ok so do earth do not have cell and tissue! It has got systems that works together to seem like it is alive. And earth do not reproduce another earth.And earth is like other planets it is just a simple rock. I am not sure that it is alive or not but the organisms on the earth seems like it is alive??????

• The earth isn't alive.

The earth is a rock. Rocks aren't alive. This is basic stuff, people. There are living things ON the earth, but the earth itself is not a living thing. It doesn't breathe. It doesn't reproduce. It has no anatomy. It has no cells. It is clearly not a living thing.

• Earth is not living

I think that earth is nonliving because scientifically a lot of scientists have discovered that earth's nonliving. A lot of people think earth is living just because that we live, eat and breath on this planet, just because we live on this planet does not mean that earth is living.

>