• Yes I believe the system has some flaws in it, but it is not overall a bad system

I think that there are some problems with simple solutions. I have found that advocates for foster care in the US think that there are six main problems facing the foster care system currently. According to Katie Dupere in her article, https://mashable.com/2016/06/04/foster-care-problems/#00pYYT_KJqqo, five of the problems: 1. “Group homes are too often a go-to.” Group homes are not always the best , they don’t learn how to be a good family for the future and they don’t get the love they deserve. “More than 56,000 children in child welfare systems are living in group settings — too high. Many argue children have more success when placed in family settings from the start...” An older boy I know from a group home has difficulty being with a family because he has gone too long without. To help one can foster, educate, encourage or support others. 2. “Teens age out of the system without proper support.” This is sad because this means that a child never was able to find a family to feel what love was affecting their future, more than 30 percent of homeless people out on the streets were once a part of the system. Those who age out are less likely to continue their education, more than 40 percent won’t even complete high school and 25 percent of them are likely to break the law. Adopting/Fostering older and support programs help. 3. “Foster parents need more support to achieve success.” The government's solution is give them money to help but I find fault in this knowing different families that just foster for the money. The support these parents need is training on handling these children. Knowing families who have children from drug addicted and abusive parents I see the struggle and with proper training it would make it easier for parents and children both. For those who want to help, families need help. 4. “There isn’t enough focus on reunification.” This is sad because sibling sets get split apart and then for some that’s the end of their relationship. The families I know kept the sibling sets together which is the best option but I know for families with many children it’s difficult to find a family who wants them all. Another part of this reunification problem can be with the birth families. Two children I know go and visit their birth aunt and grandma, while their adopted brother can't have contact with them because his mother is dangerous. 5. “Children’s needs often go unheard.” This is a problem that can lead to the children who have found homes not feel loved and have a want to escape. A problem that could cause an adoptive child to not feel loved is when there are birth children in the picture that are favored, leading to the adoptive child feeling depressed and not like they belong. Be someone who listens to their problems, helps them feel loved and safe. Overall the system has some problems but is an important system.

• Yes, it's very flawed.

A lot of children in the United States foster care system go into them feeling like outcasts already, and are treated as outcasts when they get there. Aside from that, the adoption process is a nightare and frequently fails. And have you seen group homes? They remind me of prisons sometimes.

• There is no permanency.

Yes, the U.S. foster care system is flawed, because foster parents are not carefully screened. The foster care system should spend more time making sure that the potential foster parents are in it for the right reasons. If good parents can be found, the biological parents are given too many opportunities, when the kids would be better off without them.

• The U.S. Foster Care System is Flawed

Yes, the U.S. Foster care system is flawed. Although dealing with children who need new homes is a daunting task, more resources and efforts need to be allotted to this cause. After all, children are the future, and by placing them in unstable homes and not performing adequate background checks on the foster families, we are neglecting the future of this country.

• not at all

no, i do not think that the US foster care system is flawed at all, and i think that it is a really good thing to have in place, and that it does a whole lot of good for a lot of kids in this nation that need some help.

• No, I don't think the US foster care system is flawed.

I think while the system is not perfect it provides a meaningful benefit for all involved, I believe the system should constantly be modified and tweaked so that is provides the best care that it can for the children in the program but overall I don't think the foster care system is flawed.

>