Is the U.S. government working in the best interest of the people?

• Government's Job is to Protect Citizens

The U.S. government's job is to protect its citizens, be it from enemies or floods, bullets or storms, terrorists or tornadoes. The federal government is working in the best interest of the people since we elect our own senators and representatives to Congress. In this republic, voters take destiny in their own hands. If our leaders and government fail us, it is our job to find a suitable replacement within the law.

• GREED and POWER and THEIR "good life"⏬.

Every year we go through the "vote for me and. . . ". What does it cost to run for any political position? Who puts out the BIG bucks. Why do they put millions of dollars in the candidates "pockets"? Why does one want to be in that "elected" position? The salary is minimal in regards to the real benefits? Although some want to be elected to truly help the people. The odds of the good ones doing good and getting any were is so slim? THEN eventually they become part of the group because they are out numbered, Unless. . . What ever may help them get there priorities met? What are the people who were elected going to do for the people who voted for them. To many offices to give jobs to. . . Unless a new "department of. . . Is created. Is there really democrats or republicans or any other party, Or whatever they want to be? I "was republican" but for what ever reason I changed to Democrat. . . . . ? I think most of you can relate to this. This may be one of the best debates ever. Wake up voters and know who you are voting for. If that one did get the job, Make shour they are fulfilling there promises! If they did not, Get them out. Watch the news. A lot of bad news out there people. Is it
    "fake"news or are they just using that as one of the excuses.

• Simple corruption or treason?

Trea·son  (trē′zən)
    n.
    1. The betrayal of allegiance toward one's own country, especially by committing hostile acts against it or aiding its enemies in committing such acts.
    2. The betrayal of someone's trust or confidence.

Political graft functions when the public officer is directed to purchase goods or services from a specific private interest at a cost far above regular market rates. The private interest then siphons some of the gratuitous profits to government officials that are able to ensure that future government spending continues in the same fashion so that this lucrative relationship continues. A member of a government may misappropriate directly from government funds, but they may also make decisions benefiting their own private economic interests by using inside knowledge of upcoming government decisions to their benefit, in a manner similar to insider trading.

• Historically no, and unfortunately, with today's current administration, the answer is still no.

Historically, one only has to look at examples like: Operation Northwoods, MKUltra, the Vietnam War, Iraq, systematic oppression of black Americans, etc.

Today, look at things like the tax bill that just passed. Of course, it is easy to criticize behind a computer screen. Of course, many in the government do care about the people. But ultimately, in my opinion, the government will always prioritize protecting the image of the United States, over truly looking out for all its citizens.

• "For the people, by the people"?? What a joke!

It seems more and more the decisions made in Washington are contrary to the ideas of everyday americans. Today, with Attorny General Sessions reversing the rules on state approved marijuana laws is a perfect example. According to the policies written by the Obama Administration, the federal government would not initerfere unless necessary; if it involves sales to childeren, organized crime, and something else. I think those are fair reasons for the federal government to get involved otherwise leave it to the localities. Further, this is a perfect example of how Washington is way too far involved in the american's day to day lives. You can't tell me how live my life when you have zero clue as to what my life is like. Washington is too far removed from the day to day lives of americans to get into the weeds of the laws that govern our lives. Let them have the overarching legislature like, "from 5 - 18yrs old children SHOULD receive an education that includes Math, Reading / Writing, Science (to include evolution that does not outright dismiss creationism), and the Arts" then the states and localities can determine how to meet those standards, if the children have to attend a school in their districts or can go outside their district, let the districts decide on a curriculum based on what the constutitants want; then the citizens can decide what school district they want to live in if that's a priority for them. Because the government sees it as their responsibility to be involved in the lives of everyone, this adds a level of beauracry, red tape, and unnessary steps to get from A to B. I've just mentioned pot and eduction but this goes for all aspects, from how businesses are set up and run to health care, to legistature on goods and commerce. The more restrictions, the more nitty gritty detailed restrictions on managing somebody's life, the more the government acts like the micromanager from hell of our lives, the more painful living under the government becomes and the less the government works in the best interest of the people.

• Congress is a Complete Waste

The biggest pay of Gov't waste we have.....$175,000.00 per Congressman. For what? How many days out of the year do they work? Think...... About all the perks they have, inside info from Wall Street, which is our money making investments and making the rich rich. That sure caring for the American people!

• Analyze the factors motivating government actions.

In a democracy with elected representatives, at least in this one, the highest priority for those elected seems to be to get re-elected. This is not necessarily entirely self-serving. If the newly-elected representative/senator has drunk their own kool-aid, they may well actually believe they are the best person for the job. Therefore it is their patriotic duty to ensure they are re-elected.

I think, however, that this altruistic (misguided Pollyanna) position may infect only a small number of elected officials. A closely aligned situation seems to be that when an individual is elected they conclude that they know better than anyone else what is best for the country and their constituents, no matter what the polls say. Finally, we come to those persons acting out of pure greed and self-aggrandizement. These are the politicians we have come to know and love.

Having spent some time in state-level politics, I argue that it is virtually impossible for a candidate to maintain a high level of integrity and still get elected. The process makes that a non-starter. Too many compromises are needed to get sufficient support from experienced politicians and campaign contributors. So, we get what we get. Before we give up entirely ...

Remember, as Winston Churchll said, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."

• Government forgot who elected them

The government is not working for the people because they forgot who elected them. The government is letting big business and the richest one percent decides what are policies are in this country. But it’s not just the government fault, we as a people forgot about pressuring the government when they did something we did not like and we forgot about hard work.

• Not even close

The current government is to worried about making it fair for everyone. They are stifling work ethic, breeding class warfare, handing out 'free' stuff like it is candy and creating a huge portion of the population dependent on government handouts to survive. We as a people need to be responsible for ourselves. When I was young I did not have a 50 inch TV, I had to work for it, save my money. Today everyone expects things, and I feel the classic example of that is the "free" cell phones. This will be the death of this country, entitlements will kill this nation, and someday we can all put our hands out and ask China to support us.

• They're trying, but...

Ultimately, it seems that government is really influenced by the economic factors, both private and international, and are driven by this need to be a superpower amongst nations. I feel that government does try to help its people, but it is inevitable that governments will generally maim people with certain policies for the betterment of the country itself. I feel like people have their interests heard and met more with local governments, and those voices are lost amongst the larger parts of government.

• Not in our interest!

No, the U.S. government is not working in the best interest of the people. If they were, then they would be less concerned about foreign matters and focus on domestic issues. The fight against 'terrorism' is also contrary to the values of our Constitutionally guaranteed freedom. We have a right to privacy and a fair trial process, things that have been taken away from us to prevent 'terrorist' acts against us. By 'protecting' us, they have also destroyed our freedoms.

>