Opinion Question
Argument
Posted by: Maximalist1

Where do I start?

Since the Big Bang remains a "theory" and not "Scientific Law", it is just as likely that God created the universe! We know through historical proof that Christ existed. Christ stated that "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30). What does that mean? Is Christ saying that they are related to each other? Perhaps. Is he saying that both are Divine? Maybe. Or is he saying that they are literally one? Hmmm. Miracles, that were witnessed by thousands, came after God was asked to intervene, i.e. read the Book of Exodus. Coincidence? Not hardly. Consider the Great Flood of the Bible. Noah insisted that God instructed him to build an ark (Genesis 6:14-18). People thought Noah was crazy. Then, it started to rain. Recently, the National Geographic channel did a documentary on this subject. And they found dramatic evidence that such a flood did occur. Did it literally consume the entire world? No proof of that, but ... There was plenty of evidence to prove that it consumed the region that those [living at the time] would have known as the world. While the search for remnants of the ark continue, we are left to assume that Noah had communication with God. And that his experience has transcended many ages and religions. Believers and even non-believers have, in desperate times, called upon God. Their prayers were answered. How do you explain that? A Believer will tell you that God is real & present. Are all prayers answered? Not always. But that involves a different topic: The Will of God. Last but not least, prove to me that God doesn't exist. What is your basis? You see, I have had a sick child at death's door ... Prayed for a miracle ... And even his doctor's told me they couldn't medically explain his recovery. I've had personally healing through prayer that felt as if my body was on fire. Believers call it "Laying of hands". All I know is that the tests that were made before it happened looked nothing like the tests that were taken afterward. It too left doctors scratching their heads ... The mass was gone. You want proof ... Be careful what you wish for. Thomas also wanted proof and it was provided (John 20:24-29). Believers KNOW that God exists, because they have had the opportunity to see Him work. They DON'T need anything else!
kitkat8570 says2014-02-21T18:16:51.360
How do u know? Where is his tomb? Any evidence of his remains? Dinosaurs are not in the bible. But there's museums full of their fossils. Stupid u are and ignorance is what "you people" are. Who taught you religion? Some dude up at the church
paul_g says2014-02-22T02:35:05.287
The existence of Christ (even though it is debatable) does not prove the existence of a god. Jesus may or may not have existed as a real person but if he did their is still no proof he was the son of god. A lot, if not most, of the biblical stories were written years and years after the events and they had been passed on through oral tradition for even longer.
KaileyFox says2014-02-22T06:27:51.460
@Kitkat:
Good grief, why are you so bitter and stereotypical?

"Dinosaurs are not in the bible."
You're not going to see the word "dinosaur" in the Bible because it was originally written in Greek and Hebrew. What you will see is the word Tanniyn, which appears 30 times in the OT. This word translates to something like dragon in English, but it's most-likely referring to a large reptile, believed to be a reference to dinosaurs.

"Stupid u are and ignorance is what "you people" are"
Do I sense a new "Hitler" rising up against the Christians because they're not perfect in your eyes? Stop being so condescending. We're not all blind to scientific facts. Also, stop taking the Bible so literally. It does have contexts that you need to search for sometimes in order to understand it.
SweetTea says2014-02-22T08:46:51.660
To those who say there is no God ... Prove it!
Ozzyhead says2014-02-27T03:44:28.420
You are the one claiming there is a God, so you have to prove it. When someone makes a claim, they bear the burden of proof. When someone makes a claim, the default position is to not accept it. The default position is still under the same title as people wi say God does not exist. According to your logic, when you say there is no unicorns, leprechauns, or giants, you have to prove its true, and the one making the claim does not.
SweetTea says2014-02-27T09:58:00.530
Ozzyhead ... Believers, like myself, have witnessed the unexplainable. We've seen prayers answered & medical science stumped. We know that God exists, because we have experienced His power & glory.

You want tangible proof of a deity -- something you can see and/or touch. What is amusing about this is that you are trying to identify with the supernatural by very ordinary means. Why is that?

By definition, from Merriam-Webster:
God : the perfect and all-powerful spirit or being that is worshipped especially by Christians, Jews, and Muslims as the one who created and rules the universe

: a spirit or being that has great power, strength, knowledge, etc., and that can affect nature and the lives of people : one of various spirits or beings worshipped in some religions

: a person and especially a man who is greatly loved or admired

By definition, from Merriam-Webster:
DEITY
a : the rank or essential nature of a god : divinity

b capitalized : god 1, supreme being

2 a god or goddess <the deities of ancient Greece>

3 one exalted or revered as supremely good or powerful

By definition, from Merriam-Webster:
SPIRIT
1 an animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms

2 a supernatural being or essence: as

a capitalized : holy spirit

b : soul

c : an often malevolent being that is bodiless but can become visible; specifically : ghost

How exactly do you expect anyone to defy the very definitions of ANY God to prove to you that He exists? If you were a Believer, in any faith, you would realize that knowing God ... Accepting Him ... Believing in Him ... Comes from personal experience. Faith is a journey. I cannot hand you proof that you can see, or touch. But the real beauty is that you CANNOT disprove Him either. Why? You cannot prove what you do not know, or understand, or accept? You look for the ordinary to grasp. Believers have found the extraordinary, through faith!
SweetTea says2014-02-27T10:31:21.530
Why do you all want the ordinary to explain the extraordinary? Look up the definition in ANY online dictionary of God or Deity. By definition, ANY definition is supernatural. Yet, you want tangible results that you can see and/or hold. Faith is a personal journey. Believers understand this. Many have witnessed prayers answered. They've seen medical science stumped. They don't need tangible proof to believe in something far greater. Non-believers struggle because they keep clinging to the tangible -- what they can see & touch. As for dinosaurs ... The book of Genesis tells me that God created every living thing. That includes Dinosaurs!
Ozzyhead says2014-03-02T00:54:47.553
If it's not tangible than how can you know it's real? Faith means that you accept something without evidence. Just because it makes you feel good to believe doesn't mean it's true. Great, it feels good, but doesn't make it anymore true
KaileyFox says2014-03-02T01:08:45.367
@Ozzy:
"If it's not tangible than how can you know it's real?"
I'm going to twist your question around: If it /is/ tangible, how do you know it's real? You realize that empirical evidence isn't always correct, right?

"Faith means that you accept something without evidence."
So? When you have faith that the sun isn't going to explode while your eyes are closed at night, does that make you ignorant, even though there's no evidence that it won't? Are you ignorant when you have faith that a plane isn't going to crash into your house the very instant you begin typing? Christians are told to walk in faith, not by sight. I don't see why we can't believe in God and understand the material world around us at the same time.

"Just because it makes you feel good--"
Stop right there. Just, stop. We don't believe in God to feel good, got it? There are Christians that have /suffered/ for what they believe in. They're called martyrs. Believing in God doesn't mean we're taking the easy way out of things, but, to clarify, our suffering at times isn't without purpose.
SweetTea says2014-03-02T09:36:27.417
Ozzy ... I don't have faith, because it makes me "feel good". If I want to feel good, I listen to music ... Relax at the beach ... Or nibble on some chocolate. You continue to equate God, on a human level. God is not human. He is Divine -- a supernatural being. The reason you cannot expect "tangible" proof is because the God -- or ANY Deity for that matter -- is not of this world. I have already posted the definitions above -- try reading them. You might actually learn something!

I believe in God, because I have seen prayers answered. I have been in situations so desperate that there was nowhere else to turn. I have seen results happen that medical science couldn't explain. I have seen doctors stumped, by it all. That's when you truly know God is real and He is all powerful. I literally had a doctor say to me, "Don't thank me -- thank God. Everything I learned in medical school taught me that this baby shouldn't be alive." Imagine that. A man with a PhD and a career devoted to science acknowledging God's hand!

I feel sorry for you that you continue to doubt ... That your ability to believe relies solely on things that are so tangible you can touch them. How do you manage to love? Or have you ever? Love, after all, cannot be seen or heard. Sure, we can hear a person say the words "I love you". But how do you know it's real? Do you base it, on what you "feel"? Feelings are not tangible, as you have repeatedly pointed out to me. We can be kissed, or hugged, too. Is this proof of love, or mere actions? Just because it "makes you feel good" doesn't mean it IS love. Some of the BEST things in life, i.e. faith, love, etc., have NO tangible proof. No guarantee. They are felt. Their presence is seen rippling through our lives. They are real. Anyone who has experienced these wonderful things -- God, Faith, or Love -- knows it and believes.