Opinion Question
Argument
Posted by: Maximalist1

No, there isn't.

But let me ask this: Why does there need to be? For Christians, we're called to walk by faith and not be sight. That means believing that God exists and trusting in him, even if he's not proven by human methods to be there right before us. I don't need facts about God existing in order to believe in him. It's a belief, just like believing the sun will rise tomorrow. Do you have factual knowledge that the sun won't explode while your eyes are closed at night? What about, do you have factual knowledge that a plane won't crash into your house while you're sitting there typing out a response? No, you don't. You can only believe (and hope) that those calamities, and other such happenings, don't take place. Hoping and believing doesn't make something irrational. Now, if God was proved without a doubt that he DIDN'T exist and people still believed, then there would be a problem and you could criticize all you want. But no one has disproved the existence of God, therefore, I think you should just play it safe and allow people to believe what they want, especially if they aren't making any claims. Also, as long as that belief isn't killing or harming anyone, then it really shouldn't be a problem.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy says2014-02-21T07:53:34.333
True, but why God and not Allah?
KaileyFox says2014-02-21T08:16:53.457
I suppose if you're going to ask that, then you'd have to ask yourself, why nothing and not God? It's my belief, therefore I don't need to make a claim for it, same as yourself.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy says2014-02-21T08:47:39.087
Oh but The biblical god is definitely not true. If the biblical god was true then according to the bible prayer would work every time. However studies show that this is not the case. Hence biblical god is non existent according to the book that people use to believe.
KaileyFox says2014-02-21T09:29:36.673
What does your comment have to do with the argument? You asked me why should I believe in God and not Allah and I responded back in an equal manner. I have faith in God, you have faith in nothing. Those are our beliefs. This has nothing to do with what the Bible claims.

But just for you information, your comment is wrong, considering the Bible doesn't make any claims that prayer works at all times.
tcpanter says2014-02-21T12:47:46.167
He way saying why the Christian God when, according to his view, the Christian God has already been disproved using the bibles own words. It doesnt say specifically "that prayer will work everytime" but it does say something along the lines of if you ask you shall receive.

As for what you said about hoping the sun doesnt explode that is completely wrong. We dont know for sure that the sun wont explode while we are asleep but we have lots of other evidence routed in factual information that we are able to make predictions with. That is the difference between science and faith. We construct vast webs of predictive and explanatory information that allows us to interract with and control the world around us. There is a clear difference between faith and understanding.

I have faith that I am not going to die in an earthquake. But I understand that the evidence suggests that we dont really have any significant Earthquakes where I am from.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy says2014-02-21T14:55:28.840
@tcpanter: That is exactly what I was referring to. Matthew 21:22
"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
KaileyFox says2014-02-21T16:20:34.793
@Tcpanter:
"He way saying why the Christian God when, according to his view, the Christian God has already been disproved using the bibles own words."
I know what he's saying, I don't need a reiteration from another user. The Bible does not disprove God's existence.

"We dont know for sure that the sun wont explode while we are asleep but we have lots of other evidence routed in factual information that we are able to make predictions with. "
I wasn't just referring to the sun. Do you have factual evidence for a plane crashing into your house in the next two seconds? What about factual evidence for a burglar? Do you have factual evidence of when you're going to die? None of these do you know when or if they will take place, but you have hope or faith that they won't either right now or ever. So why is it so wrong to have faith in something that we don't have factual evidence of but which has not been disproven? Once again, I really don't think you can ridicule and rip apart people's faith, especially if they don't make a claim, and if they're not harming or killing anyone, then there's no reason for you to take action against it.

For Matthew 21:22, have you looked at the different translations? In every single one, it states specifically that you need faith for prayer to work. If you don't have faith in God that he can do all things, it's not going to.

On top of that, it needs to match up with God's will, as it says in Ephesians 1:11. If you're praying pink elephants will rain from the heavens with faith that God can make it happen...It's not going to happen because it has nothing to do with God's will.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy says2014-02-21T22:21:46.240
@KaileyFox: You would not pray if you had no faith.
KaileyFox says2014-02-21T22:59:51.817
@Iamanatheist:
You have to have faith in God to pray, yes, but you also have to have faith that God can do what you ask and that it lines up with his will.