Is using the N word if you are not African-American/Black racist? Are there exceptions?

Asked by: Amphia
  • The word is racist, but not necessarily the person using it

The person using the word might not be a racist, but the use of the word has a racist effect due to the connotations the word has.

Black people shouldn't use the word either. No, you cannot "reclaim" it. It has too ugly of a reputation. The only way the n word gets reclaimed is if people stop using it for a long enough period of time so that students in English classes will stumble upon the word in a novel, raise their hands, and ask their teachers what it means. Then maybe it can be reclaimed and used by white people and black people, just so long as people don't start using it to put down black people all over again.

In the meantime there is no reason to use the word, except maybe in some scholarly settings such as a linguist giving a lecture on the history of racial slurs or a psychologist studying the effects of hearing slurs or the psychology of those who use them.

• Though I don't think those whom say it are always racist...

When you use a group of people as an insult it puts them (Including all the individuals) on the same or worse level as what you are insulting.

Black people shouldn't use it either, as words don't belong to certain people.

This goes for all slurs, and is why I do my best to never use them even when I dislike or disagree with a group.

• Yes it is, but not necessarily

The N word, as we all know, was used in times of slavery against black people.
    That word has stayed the same till today. There's no reason why we should be using a word against someone in a normal sentence, especially if you are before a black person and you are white. It's like a black person calling a white person white trash. We all know that nobody would like that, so why say the N word? Its not nice or respectful.

• It depends on the context

So long as you dont use in a derogatory or demeaning matter than its fine to say. As long as you dont use it as an insult or a way to attack someone then it isnt racist and is available for you to use. It all depends on how you use it

• There are no exceptions

Unless you can get the whole African-American/Black society to be fine with being called the N word, I think that it should be treated like the F word, and not said at all. Although some people do use the F word, it should not be used at all. What do you guys think?

• I think there are some exceptions

It all depends on context to be honest. If you are friends with a black person (and you yourself are black) and you both understand that when you call them the N word it is not to be racist, then it's okay (in my opinion). As long as you have an understanding that it is being used as a term of endearment and not racism, it's not racist. Preferably, I'd rather nobody use it but that's not up to me. What do you guys think?

• No, not really, but it depends. . . . .

The word is inherently a racist one, but just because it is, does not mean it is always used racially. The original use of the word does not exactly affect what effect the word has. Inflection, tone, and context, all come into play of the meaning of a verb, even if it was not meant it that way. Take for example "this is the shit." "Shit" is generally a word used to describe something as foul as body waste, but in that certain manner, can be used to describe of something very highly. The same goes "nigger," or "nigga." It depends. When someone says "my nigga" in a friendly manner, they're simple just addressing a close acquaintance, be it friend. It can also have a more negative effect, which most people associate the word with. Calling someone a "nigger" in a mean-spirited way, is most often meant in offense. But as I stated previously, inflection, tone, and context all matter. Words have many different meanings as they are used to convey expressions.

Posted by: LLP
  • There are exceptions.

To me, there is nothing wrong with judging a person by their actions. If your a person who fits the stereotype by your actions, you deserve to be labeled as such. Using it in that context does not make you racist as your not using the label for all of that race but just those that deserve to be degraded.

• Depends on the context

To be used as an insult, it is incredibly racist.

If a word is used to offend someone, it's a bad word. But if it's used as not an insult (rare outside of black communities, I'd assume), it's just like any other word.

Need six more words to submit this okay there we go bye

>