Music lessons are too expensive and not available to everyone

Asked by: Roxie4546
  • Greedy Teachers Ruined My Dreams

I was inspired around the age of 3 to become a pianist. I submerged myself in the culture as if I was born with the ambition written on my heart. In every possible way I could, I journeyed to fill the thirst I had for learning music. But, The odds were against me. When I was three, And I begged my parents for music lessons, I was told to find a different hobby that "didn't cost an arm and a leg" however, I never lost my passion and proceeded to teach myself, For a while without an instrument, But eventually I got a keyboard. I put so much time and effort into teaching myself, And I believed with all my heart that I was going to be a pianist when I grew up. Unfortunately, My dream fizzed away when I reached High School. I didn't have a teacher which meant I didn't know what I didn't know. I realized that the greatest songs I could play were all learned by ear, And that I was the slowest music reader in the whole school. All of the kids who had their parents dish out thousands since they were very young for their music education, Got incredible scholarships and opportunities, And I had to watch them living out all the dreams I always had, But never would see come true. Thanks for charging $1 a minute in my area, Jerks.

• Yes, But Music is a rich kids game

It's more than just lessons, You can definitely self-teach and theory isn't even a requirement. It's when you go after 10 years of practice into playing shows and touring that you realize how ridiculous the gap is. You will barely make anything and work 24hr days going from gig to gig, Spend all your money on it trying to even enjoy yourself when rehearsal spaces cost double your housing rent and waste years on creating a fake image to appease enough people you don't go homeless. People love the idea of skill and talents, But only reward characters. Enjoy either playing crappy cover band circuits, Or find yourself at an absolute loss of words at how horrific it actually is and how horrific people are.

• Although music teachers aren't paid too much

My music lessons are $50/h I only do it for half an hour a week plus I have to buy the music books. I make sacrifices to be able to afford this. I go out to eat less often for example. I buy used clothes, rarely wear makeup, and I make my own cleaning supplies. It's something I enjoy doing. However I can see how this cost would hinder other people. I love piano lessons. My piano teacher is self employed without any benefits. She has skills that not everyone has and should be paid accordingly. Life isn't always fair.

• Low income families can't afford music lessons

I come from a low income family and for my entire life I've wanted to learn to play an instrument. Unfortunately I've never been able to as my family can't afford lessons. I don't think this is fair as I haven't had a great oppartunity due to not having the finances.

• Money stops people's passions

There are many people out there who are extremely talented musically but are put at a disadvantage because they can't afford to pay for the lessons or the instrument. It's incredibly unfair on them as it may be something which they really enjoy or helps them to relax or they simply want to learn a new skill but can't due to the price. For many peole it's the case that they start playing an instrument and love it but they can't continue with it for .Ore then a year maximum due to the cost per lesson.

• Money stops people's passions

• Money leaves people left out

Scientists have proved that by learning a musical instrument you can improve your IQ up to 7 points. It can also help elderly people with their fine motor skills. The average cost of a music lesson is £28 per hour. There is a gap between those that can afford music lessons and those on benifits that have no access to playing a musical instrument.

• Lessons are available to all who apply themself

I have been taking private lessons for around 12 years on piano and 6 years on saxophone. My piano lessons are from a well-known local teacher and are $40 an hour. My saxophone lessons are from a local musician and are only about $12 an hour. If you search even harder, you can find lessons for even less or maybe even for free. People are understanding. They will give discounts to those who desperately need them if you show dedication. You may have to go at some inconvenient time, but you still get lessons. Saying lessons are unavailable is a bunch of crap. Sure there are the top teachers who charge $100 an hour, but there are plenty of good teachers that can be found for less than $20, easy.

• Teachers need money too!

Music teachers have worked very hard to practice their instrument throughout their lives and gain the qualifications needed to teach, and they have bills to pay as well. However, I do believe that music tuition should be available to everyone, so should be subsidized more by the government or local charities as the high prices scared off people on a limited budget.

• There are subsidies out there if you care enough about your music to look hard enough for them

People below a certain income can generally get subsidised lessons through the county council, and/or a year's free tuition when they first start. Also, for buying instruments and getting more money for joining ensembles there are loads of schemes out there like Benslow and Future Talent and things which can provide you with money if you apply for them and are in real need of it. If you care a lot about your music you can find these things, I'm speaking as someone who has applied for these bursaries. Music teachers can be really helpful in finding you grants to fund your music education and there are quite a lot out there if you know where to look.

• Most private music teachers etch out a tenuous living

As a former private music instructor, I can say that it is one of the most meagre ways to make a living. Statistically, private music instructors rank amongst the lowest annual earning occupations in our society. I agree, however, that private music lessons are not affordable to lower income families. This being said, it is not reasonable for private music instructors, most of whom are University/College trained, to travel to students' homes for minimum wage. The only solution I can see is a low income Government subsidy.